Is the manga the best way to introduce someone to Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.
User avatar
TheGreatness25
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5011
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Re: Is the manga the best way to introduce someone to Dragon Ball?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:17 pm

Sailor Haumea wrote:Speaking of releases...

Which version do I have...?

Season Three of Z. Frieza's on the cover.

Audio options are Uncut, Broadcast, and Japanese.

The spine has part of Shenron. Clearly, if you put them side-by-side, it has Shenron on one side.

What release is this?
That would be the "orange bricks," Funimation's least popular release in terms of video quality, but certainly their most affordable one. There are nine of these for Z, five for the original, and two for GT (though there is a bundle for GT in one set). The official title is "Season sets."

User avatar
Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN
Posts: 797
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:28 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Is the manga the best way to introduce someone to Dragon Ball?

Post by Sailor Haumea » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:20 pm

Which release is the best, in your opinion?
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6422
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Nagano
Contact:

Re: Is the manga the best way to introduce someone to Dragon Ball?

Post by Cipher » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:02 am

Going to cut through the clutter of this thread and just say "yes."

My opinions would differ if you're going to be actively watching the anime with a new viewer, which is a good time (but it'd better be someone who's already really invested or someone you live with). If you want to pique their interest and send them off on their own, absolutely go with the manga.

User avatar
sangofe
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8128
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Is the manga the best way to introduce someone to Dragon Ball?

Post by sangofe » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:13 am

sintzu wrote:
sangofe wrote:Why wouldn't everybody start with the start?

And wow, you find DB "boring as piss" 0.o?
Because the start doesn't represent what the franchise turns into.

I love DB but putting that aside, it doesn't hold up that well compared to Z and other anime so if you're going to introduce someone to the franchise you shouldn't do it with a part that could completely turn them away from it.

Did db not become huge in for example france? Did they not start with the start? I don't think many were turned away from db there...

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 3068
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Is the manga the best way to introduce someone to Dragon Ball?

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:36 am

sintzu wrote:
sangofe wrote:Why wouldn't everybody start with the start?

And wow, you find DB "boring as piss" 0.o?
Because the start doesn't represent what the franchise turns into.

I love DB but putting that aside, it doesn't hold up that well compared to Z and other anime so if you're going to introduce someone to the franchise you shouldn't do it with a part that could completely turn them away from it.
Why do you treat Z as the best thing since sliced bread ?
She/Her

User avatar
Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here
Posts: 4405
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: Salt Mines

Re: Is the manga the best way to introduce someone to Dragon Ball?

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:44 am

VDenter wrote:Getting the blue bricks could be a decent alternative but my biggest fear is will the footage look good on a HDTV.
Don't worry, it looks just fine on newer TV's. It was specifically remastered with that in mind.
Retired.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Is the manga the best way to introduce someone to Dragon Ball?

Post by sintzu » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:14 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:Why do you treat Z as the best thing since sliced bread ?
I don't.

I've said multiple times that I've seen other anime that do things better.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN
Posts: 921
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:42 pm
Location: Not where you think

Re: Is the manga the best way to introduce someone to Dragon Ball?

Post by Helios518 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:07 pm

If they like manga more than anime then sure but if they like anime more than I would suggest them to watch IAmTheMilkman's Dragon Ball Recut.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Banned
Posts: 6995
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Is the manga the best way to introduce someone to Dragon Ball?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:08 pm

Yes. The manga is quick and to the point while the anime slows the plot down (which can be quite annoying for a plot-driven anime) with a bunch of extraneous shit. Not to mention the anime is often VERY contradictory and even blows certain character traits out of proportion (Muten Roshi and Chi-Chi being prime examples).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 3068
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Is the manga the best way to introduce someone to Dragon Ball?

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:04 pm

sintzu wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:Why do you treat Z as the best thing since sliced bread ?
I don't.

I've said multiple times that I've seen other anime that do things better.
Lol, oops. I read your post wrong, I was just tired and PO at the time and was looking for something to be angry about. Excuse my mistake :thumbup:
She/Her

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 21434
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: Is the manga the best way to introduce someone to Dragon Ball?

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:41 pm

Absolutely. Let that person enjoy Dragon Ball through the vision of Toriyama purely before they take on the anime adaption and then properly appreciate criticise the positives and negatives when it came to adapting the original story.

User avatar
MajinMan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1237
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:42 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Is the manga the best way to introduce someone to Dragon Ball?

Post by MajinMan » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:07 pm

If you know that the person you're introducing it to likes to read manga or just read in general, then yes, it is the best way. If it's someone that doesn't like to read, then start them off with Dragon Ball in Japanese.

I did this with my friend. He is a big Naruto fan and wanted to get into Dragon Ball. He himelf said he was going to start with the original Dragon Ball in dub. I told him to read the manga instead since it was really good, but he refused. I ended up convincing him to watch it in Japanese and while he did have to get used to the Japanese language during the first arc (he watched Naruto in dub), he eventually watched the whole thing in Japanese while liking it.

If they end up not liking the series after all that, then it just wasn't meant for them.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

60.

Rest in peace.

Post Reply