Is Naruto at DBZ's level of popularity in the past?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:20 pm

If not, it's getting there. It's at least atthe level of YYH's peak popularity when it was on Toonami everyday, before CN started to screw them over.

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:42 pm

Yes, getting back on topic. (Sorry Sun!)
I can honestly say that it is as popular, but again, for the wrong reasons.
「あの地球人のように?・・・クリリンのことか・・・クリリンのことか————っ!!!!!!」

「オレは地球からきさまをたおすためにやってきたサイヤ人・・・おだやかな心をもちながらはげしい怒りによって目覚めた伝説の戦士・・・超サイヤ人孫悟空だ!!!!!」

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:59 pm

Are you on NarutoFan Forums, Sun_Wukong?(The same thing was on there.)

I believe that Naruto is very popular at the moment, just not as popular as DBZ was in it's "prime". The creator of Naruto also pays a big respect to Dragonball(His DB art is on the main website) There are always people who have heard of Dragonball Z, but if you go around asking people about Naruto, hardly anyone will know what it is. And Naruto is my current favorite anime/manga, but only because the story is still going. The dragonball series will always be #1 because it got me into anime, manga and Japanese culture(It's also inspired me to be a cartoonist when I am older.) And whoever said that Naruto is gotten boring, have you been watching the anime or reading the manga. Because right now the anime is in fillers(Which will end on Feb. 15 :D ), and I'm sure Sun_Wukong can understand the "filler" thing.

Anywhoo, that's the opinion of a huge DB/DBZ/DBGT/Naruto fan. :D
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

!

Post by nathantheguitarist » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:14 pm

I agree with an above post, it's about as popular as YYH, when YYH was in it's prime.

I think Naruto will hit it's prime at the Sasuke Retrieval Arc, every kid on the end of the block will be saying "Believe it!" *kills self*, but then it will hit fillers and the popularity will die down quickly :lol:

But I see Bleach getting a hell of a lot more popular than Naruto, because Naruto is frowned upon as a kid's show right now, and Bleach is decently recognised as a real anime.

(This is all for America, of course ;) )
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: !

Post by Big Momma » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:18 pm

nathantheguitarist wrote:I think Naruto will hit it's prime at the Sasuke Retrieval Arc,
That's where it gets good! :wink:
every kid on the end of the block will be saying "Believe it!" *kills self*,
Maybe Viz will have a huge change in the dub and they'll be saying believe ittebayo :lol:
but then it will hit fillers and the popularity will die down quickly :lol:
Well, with Shippuden coming out, maybe they'll be able to just skip the fillers(crosses fingers)
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:22 pm

Big Momma wrote:
but then it will hit fillers and the popularity will die down quickly :lol:
Well, with Shippuden coming out, maybe they'll be able to just skip the fillers(crosses fingers)
I hope to god they do! Then those awesome boxsets they've been having for Naruto won't drag on for 80-something episodes.... but I don't think they will, cause the majority of the US fans won't even know it's filler :cry:

Everything revolves around money :lol:
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:01 pm

Big Momma wrote:
every kid on the end of the block will be saying "Believe it!" *kills self*,
Maybe Viz will have a huge change in the dub and they'll be saying believe ittebayo :lol:
"ittebayo"? It's Dattebayo, Tokyo slag. It's kinda like saying, "You know what I mean?" at the end of a sentence.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:06 pm

Is Naruto's popularity as big as DBZ's, not quite yet. But it seems to be working its way up there with the fantastic dub treatment on Cartoon Network and the DVD releases aimed at both hardcore and naive fans (seriously Viz does love to milk it for all they can get, as the Edit-Single releases cost more overall than the Uncut-Set releases). Hell, that annoying-to-hell catch-phrase "Believe it!" is actually popping up on Naruto boxers. >_>

But eh, I started watching Naruto, but I just can't bring myself to dedicate to it like I did to the DB anime trilogy or Evangelion. I mean dozens and dozens of episodes of stare-downs, filler, and constant flashbacks (that make all of DBZ's look interesting and thoughtful) between very angsty 12 year olds who're being raised to be killers like it's no problem or issue. Doesn't exactly strike my fancy as much as I thought it would. And what's Naruto's one and only objective? "I'm gonna become Hokagei with no real motivation, and get laid with Sakura because I'm like 13 years old, you know it! BELIEVE IT!!! BELIEVE IT!!! BELIEVE IT!!!" -_-

Yeah, you guys can tell I don't exactly have a knack for the overrated anime known as Naruto. Hell, I haven't even bought the Uncut sets yet. Probably never will to be honest, it just isn't my cup of tea from what I've watched. It nowhere near holds a candle to the epic story of Son Goku.

To the Naruto fanboy extremists, keep in mind I was simply speaking my mind and opinion which I have a right to. So don't get pissed. I've seen several episodes of the dub and I don't like it, simple as that. And on that note, I bid this topic rising for some salt of some kind.
Last edited by Conan the SSJ on Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
14 years later

chibi_goten
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by chibi_goten » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:06 pm

Where I live Naruto is more popular then Dragonball, yet still not as popular as One Piece.
- Scott

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:07 pm

Payne222 wrote:"ittebayo"? It's Dattebayo, Tokyo slag. It's kinda like saying, "You know what I mean?" at the end of a sentence.
I don't think it really means anything last time I checked, but I think we all know it's Tokyo slang.

But he was going for a bad pun, "Believe It-ttebayo!". It isn't always "Dattebayo", it's sometimes just a word with "-ttebayo" at the end.

But since I know almost nothing of Japanese, you should look it up at wikipedia ;)

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:09 pm

chibi_goten wrote:Where I live Naruto is more popular then Dragonball, yet still not as popular as One Piece.
Yeah, I've heard One Piece and Naruto are at the top of the anime food chain in Europe. Dragonball and Bleach should be though! (^^)

chibi_goten
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by chibi_goten » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:14 pm

I haven't even heard of Bleach before just it mentioned on here a few times. I haven't even seen it over here before, I have no clues to what it is or what it's about.
- Scott

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:17 pm

chibi_goten wrote:I haven't even heard of Bleach before just it mentioned on here a few times. I haven't even seen it over here before, I have no clues to what it is or what it's about.
Wiki-wiki-what-what!
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:19 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
chibi_goten wrote:I haven't even heard of Bleach before just it mentioned on here a few times. I haven't even seen it over here before, I have no clues to what it is or what it's about.
Wiki-wiki-what-what!
Haha. And if you ever care to join a Bleach fansite...

chibi_goten
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by chibi_goten » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:20 pm

Thanks, but I could easily have done that myself. I would rather wait for something to come out and see it for myself though before looking at spoilers etc and finding out too much about it.
- Scott

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:20 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:Is Naruto's popularity as big as DBZ's, not quite yet. But it seems to be working its way up there with the fantastic dub treatment on Cartoon Network and the DVD releases aimed at both hardcore and naive fans
I do agree with you. It has the potential, but just not yet.
But eh, I started watching Naruto, but I just can't bring myself to dedicate to it like I did to the DB anime trilogy or Evangelion. I mean dozens and dozens of episodes of stare-downs, filler, and constant flashbacks (that make all of DBZ's look interesting and thoughtful) between very angsty 12 year olds who're being raised to be killers like it's no problem or issue. Doesn't exactly strike my fancy as much as I thought it would. And what's Naruto's one and only objective? "I'm gonna become Hokagei with no real motivation, and get laid with Sakura because I'm like 13 years old, you know it! BELIEVE IT!!! BELIEVE IT!!! BELIEVE IT!!!" -_-
I'm guessing you haven't seen the original japanese. Like the dragonball series(and many other anime) the original is far better than the dub. It's just an "aquired taste" I guess.
Yeah, you guys can tell I don't exactly have a knack for the overrated anime known as Naruto.
If it were overrated, it wouldn't be as popular as it is, wouldn't have this thread, and the manga wouldn't be going on it's sixth year in Japan(not being mean, just saying.)
It nowhere near holds a candle to the epic story of Son Goku.
Yep, the dragonball series will always have (at the risk of being sappy) a special place in my heart. :D

To the Naruto fanboy extremists, keep in mind I was simply speaking my mind and opinion which I have a right to. So don't get pissed.
You tell em' brotha!(What? I'm not ticked, it's his/her opinion.)
I've seen several episodes of the dub and I don't like it, simple as that.
Same thing I said above, the japanese is better and it's an "aquired taste". It took me a while to get into it, too.
And on that note, I bid this topic rising for some salt of some kind.
I don't know what that means, but thumbs up!

On a side note, this is how popular both series are to the fans:

landoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by landoku » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:22 pm

I'd say there pretty close, I really just dont care for Naruto. :evil:

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:25 pm

I personally like Naruto because it has a deeper plot than the Dragonball series, and just as good(not better!) action. Thats my opinion(again!)

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:42 pm

Not to stray off-topic too much, but I really wish One Piece could've reached DB's popularity here in the US, or even the level of Naruto's popularity. It's a shame 4Kids did a poor job overall with the dub and the marketing (it's an tweens-teens show, not just for kids...)

As for Naruto, I personally don't care for it, but I'm glad it got such a good English adaptation and is doing well. I'm more of a DB/OP fan.

Ok, back on-topic!

- Bilis
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Busaiku

Post by Busaiku » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:52 pm

I really don't think Naruto is too big among casual fans. I believe as well it's appealing more to the more anime-oriented individuals in the US. I'm not saying it's just limited to that, as there probably are a good number of the casual fans. This may be due in part to the anime market having already grown since Dragonball. But all in all, I still think it has some way to go to reach the insance levels of something like Pokemon/Dragonball Z in the US at least.

In JPN however, based on manga sales (not sure about the anime), Naruto is nowhere near as big as Dragonball was. I'd assume that the anime series for both would follow a similar trend.
Dug up some numbers from ComiPress to find some older numbers (these date back to May of last year), and it seems that Naruto has mearly done about 20% as well as Dragonball has. Note that these are manga sales, and date back to May of last year.
Here's the link to the article (it also has other Shonen Jump manga title sales as well):
http://comipress.com/article/2006/06/01/196
Last edited by Busaiku on Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.