Is Naruto at DBZ's level of popularity in the past?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Is Naruto at DBZ's level of popularity in the past?

Post by Sun_Wukong » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:58 pm

I realize that this is a DB forum and I am simply comparing the two, not discussing Naruto. I was interested in hearing this from DBZ fans. EX feel free to lock this if its too much Naruto. Please guys, stay on topic. Remember WE'RE NOT COMPARING THE TWO SERIES, just their popularity.

Anywho. I remember DBZ being extremely popular in the US as far back as 2001. 2003 seemed to be its high point. Is Naruto at it's level yet? I mean as far as DVD sales, manga at bookstores, ect. Cartoon Network seems to have a huge sucess with its ratings.

GI_Judd2287
Beyond Newbie

Post by GI_Judd2287 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:08 pm

DBZ was a lot like Pokemon popularity-wise, from when Trunks first showed up to the end of the Cell saga. I don't think Naruto is at that level yet in America. Then again, I could be wrong. I don't talk to a lot of 6-8th graders so I couldn't tell you what the "in" thing is at the moment.
"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?"-- Captain America

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:12 pm

Naruto's popularity is the same as DragonBall Z when the 'Cell Games' was shown on Cartoon Network, imo. And, it seems like its getting even more popular. Didn't Cartoon Network have a Naruto marathon this year?
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:16 pm

Naruto is popular, fer sure. But it's kinda only popular with a certain demographic, i.e. already-existant Naruto fans, so far. It's popularity isn't as widespread and all-encompassing as DragonBall Z was in the 90's. I applaud Viz for their marketing strategy with Naruto, since they're at least pointing it at its intended demographic and age group.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:26 pm

Eh, I think Naruto is very popular at the moment. Maybe as much as DBZ. I personally think it's popular for all the wrong reasons though in America. Taken from what I hear from my 9 and 7 year old brothers, all the kids go around saying "Sexy Jutsu" or "Power Strike" instead of "Harem no Jutsu" or "Rasengan". OK, they're kids, I get that. But when asking him and his friends why they like it and what the story is about, they either don't know, don't care, or just like it for the "awesome" edited fights.
「あの地球人のように?・・・クリリンのことか・・・クリリンのことか————っ!!!!!!」

「オレは地球からきさまをたおすためにやってきたサイヤ人・・・おだやかな心をもちながらはげしい怒りによって目覚めた伝説の戦士・・・超サイヤ人孫悟空だ!!!!!」

Rioan

Post by Rioan » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:35 pm

Dragonball (back in the day when new episodes were still running and I was still little) used to have awesome fight scenes, and Naruto and its fight scenes are probobly as popular as Dragonball when it first came out, but once the original concept is used up (i.e. collected all Dragonballs, defeated Orochimaru etc.) the series popularity hits rock bottom unless they can get a new one or the old one back up with an added twist.I still think Dragonball is better that DBZ or DBGT. Just my opinion.
Till next time!
Rioan
A.K.A The Elusive Werewolf

Read Bleach?Watch Bleach?Then check out this fansite! www.SoulSocietyEX.com

"I stayed loving DragonBall always. Because DBZ isnt an Anime- its a way of life!" - Rioan

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:43 pm

Rioan wrote:Dragonball (back in the day when new episodes were still running and I was still little) used to have awesome fight scenes, and Naruto and its fight scenes are probobly as popular as Dragonball when it first came out, but once the original concept is used up (i.e. collected all Dragonballs, defeated Orochimaru etc.) the series popularity hits rock bottom unless they can get a new one or the old one back up with an added twist.I still think Dragonball is better that DBZ or DBGT. Just my opinion.
They recently change Naruto's title in Japan to Naruto: 疾風伝 (Naruto: Hurricane Chronicles), like Dragonball changed to Dragonball Z. I also think Naruto is trying to, in a way, copy DBZ and it's success. Like Naruto's jump suit, same colors as Goku's Gi. As well as his Rasengan, it may be just me, but that's uncannily like the Kamehameha.

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:46 pm

Payne222 wrote:Like Naruto's jump suit, same colors as Goku's Gi. As well as his Rasengan, it may be just me, but that's uncannily like the Kamehameha.
Well, wasn't Naruto's character design made to pay respect to Goku (and dragonball)? I always saw Kishimoto as a big, big fan of the series. I'd like to add that I'll probably never get 'into' Naruto due to its fanbase. There are some people that I *hate* and they like Naruto so its a "guilty by association" sort of deal. Besides, when trying the manga, I got very bored and went back to looking at a Dragonball book :P
(For the record, I hate those fans of Naruto because they go on and on with the crappy quotes from the show, do jitsu battles, bitch about Dragonball, etc.)
-Rick
Last edited by Mr.Piccolo on Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:46 pm

I don't think everyone knows what Naruto is like they did with DBZ. Back in the 4'th Grade I didn't even like DBZ yet I knew what it was. I don't think Naruto is at that point.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Rioan

Post by Rioan » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:47 pm

Well, most manga are a lot alike, but in an interveiw with Masashi Kishimoto, Shonen Jump learned he had first liked Dragonball and DragonQuest. I guess he gets a lot of his ideas from Akira Toriyama...
Till next time!
Rioan

"I stayed loving DragonBall always. Because DBZ isnt an Anime- its a way of life!" - Rioan

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:54 pm

Mr.Piccolo wrote:
Payne222 wrote:Like Naruto's jump suit, same colors as Goku's Gi. As well as his Rasengan, it may be just me, but that's uncannily like the Kamehameha.
Well, wasn't Naruto's character design made to pay respect to Goku (and dragonball)? I always saw Kishimoto as a big, big fan of the series.
-Rick
I honestly don't know of that fact. But I'm glad Naruto has the new Black and Orage one. It makes him more unique.
Lavender Saiyan wrote:I don't think everyone knows what Naruto is like they did with DBZ. Back in the 4'th Grade I didn't even like DBZ yet I knew what it was. I don't think Naruto is at that point.
Well, I've been a DB/Z fan since I was 5, so, even the kids in my class knew of it, but of course, it was "gay". Naruto may be at that stage. (^_~) Just kidding.
Rioan wrote:Well, most manga are a lot alike, but in an interveiw with Masashi Kishimoto, Shonen Jump learned he had first liked Dragonball and DragonQuest. I guess he gets a lot of his ideas from Akira Toriyama...
He did say that, but come on, your a professional. Be a little more different then your idol. Otherwise you'll be known as a "copy-cat".

Rioan

Post by Rioan » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:56 pm

Well, i remember a time when my first manga was about elements, fox spirits and a sword.I guess when theres a good idea, you stick to it.
Till next time!
Rioan

Menardi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Menardi » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:00 pm

My first Manga was Inu Yasha, I knew DB before that, but I got the DB mangas after the IY mangas, but Naruto seems a bit boring to me...
[b][color=green]GREEN TEAM[/color][/b]
[b][color=pink]But does he know how to wind you up?[/color][/b]

Rioan

Post by Rioan » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:02 pm

I'm a Naruto fan, but the new chapters are less interesting than the old ones.Bleach is pretty popular too, but needs time to get up in the big leagues with Naruto and DragonBallZ.
Till next time!
Rioan

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:04 pm

I was watching along with Naruto (japanese and dub) but I've just gotten so bored with it lately; something that never happened to me when Dragon Ball. I'm actually leaning more into One Piece now. I watched one of the movies...four I think ("Dead End Adventure") and after seeing that I gotta say it was more exciting than anything I've seen in Naruto so far.

I do give Mr. Kishimoto credit for his character designs though; I really like the characters' clothing.
Last edited by Chuquita on Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:05 pm

Rioan wrote:I'm a Naruto fan, but the new chapters are less interesting than the old ones.Bleach is pretty popular too, but needs time to get up in the big leagues withNaruto and DragonBallZ.
I accually disagree with that. I find the new chapters to be better, because they are more unique. Though I find Bleach much better, (seeing as I have a fansite for it, Rioan co webmaster, should agree), in Japan, I think Bleach is up with Naruto and One Piece.

Menardi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Menardi » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:05 pm

Same with Inu Yasha, seriously, it has like 23423389 chapters and it never ends..it goes on and on and on
[b][color=green]GREEN TEAM[/color][/b]
[b][color=pink]But does he know how to wind you up?[/color][/b]

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:07 pm

Chuquita wrote: I watched one of the movies...four I think ("Dead End Adventure") and after seeing that I gotta say it was more exciting than anything I've seen in Naruto so far.
:) That was the first one I watched, too. 'Twas awesome.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:18 pm

Guys, stay on topic. Remember what this is about?

Mac2492

Post by Mac2492 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:49 pm

No one talks about Dragon Ball where I live. Naruto is relativelY unknown as well, but it's more popular than Dragon Ball here.