Where can I find DB manga?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Mon May 24, 2004 10:39 am

Because the full episodes are available to buy, legally, in your local shop. Or online. And they're in both English and original Japanese. They are the complete package. There's a world of difference between that downloading a scanned copy of NMZ. It's in a different language to the original, and format is different too (on-screen vs paper).

If you have fansubs, you have got illegal versions of something identical to that available in the shops, in the same format. If you download NMZ, you've got something not available in this country, not in the same language, and not in the same format. I don't see how you can claim them to be the same at all.

As mentioned, if the US Shonen Jump decided to translate it and stick it in an issue, then I firmly expect that Mike will take down the scanlation.
Adamant wrote:Most likely, he lives in some European country where DB hasn't been released yet.

The big version of the volumes cost over 25$ in Norway, so his price isn't unrealistic.
Except, as I keep saying, YOU CAN ORDER THEM FROM AMAZON FOR THE ORIGINAL PRICE!

Look, I've put it in capitals, and everything.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Mon May 24, 2004 2:30 pm

Of course there's shades of gray. But, legally, it's no different. Format doesn't matter. Anyone can change the format of something, it's still the same product. It doesn't matter if it's not available here, it still belongs to somebody and that somebody isn't any of us. Language doesn't matter. J.K. Rowling's lawyers have been going after those who've been taking Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, translating it into their own languages, and distributing it online. You're not giving samples (clips, a few pages, etc...) of the work, you're taking the complete thing and distributing it. There are effects: who's gonna buy Shonen Jump's new Naruto mangas when they've already got the first 200 chapters on their computers? Who'll buy Full Metal Alchemist when they've got 250 meg ogms of the episodes on their computers? Those that have these high-quality 'different formats' won't buy the legal dvds or books.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon May 24, 2004 2:35 pm

PsyLiam wrote:
Adamant wrote:Most likely, he lives in some European country where DB hasn't been released yet.

The big version of the volumes cost over 25$ in Norway, so his price isn't unrealistic.
Except, as I keep saying, YOU CAN ORDER THEM FROM AMAZON FOR THE ORIGINAL PRICE!

Look, I've put it in capitals, and everything.
Yeah, I know, that's what I would've done if I didn't already have all 42 volumes of the danish version. I don't really think those overpriced mangas sell very well anyway.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue May 25, 2004 8:01 pm

Alias wrote:J.K. Rowling's lawyers have been going after those who've been taking Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, translating it into their own languages, and distributing it online. You're not giving samples (clips, a few pages, etc...) of the work, you're taking the complete thing and distributing it. There are effects: who's gonna buy Shonen Jump's new Naruto mangas when they've already got the first 200 chapters on their computers? Who'll buy Full Metal Alchemist when they've got 250 meg ogms of the episodes on their computers? Those that have these high-quality 'different formats' won't buy the legal dvds or books.
But that's the point...VegettoEX isn't providing 200 chapters of Naruto. He's got a selection of music files (all at 96 kbps, which is a fair bit lower than CD quality), and a translation of a short gag comic, which I do think most people here would buy if Shonen Jump stuck it in an issue.

As as for Order of the Pheonix, surely that's already available legally in almost all the major languages? What ones are the internet people translating it into?
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue May 25, 2004 11:23 pm

Order of the Phoenix was a bad example. Due to supplier issues, there were like 5 languages getting delayed (on top of them supposed to come out like 3-5 months after they came out in English). Taking advantage of this time-lapse, people bought the english version and translated it on the net. IE: The rights to those translations were owned by Rowling, it's just that they hadn't come out on the shelves yet.

It would be like SJ telling EX+Julian to take down Neko Majin Z because they bought the rights to start selling it in 3 months, and daizex answers "Screw you! We'll do what we want for those 3 months then!"
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Wed May 26, 2004 5:24 pm

I think you guys are missing the point. I'm not referring to Daizex alone, I'm referring to the entire subject; from full ep sites to Toriyama's World to Omanga, the second of which I've worked for and the last of which I've helped out. I've done my own projects under different aliases. However, regardless of the effect, manitude, or the way you're going about, it's illegal. Quality doesn't matter. Size doesn't matter. It's still against the law.

As for Harry Potter, there are other countries where it wasn't slated to be released where they translated it. I can't remember any specific ones, since I don't really keep up with the stuff as much as I used to.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed May 26, 2004 8:38 pm

Yes. Everything is illegal. God bless captilalism.

**Sings the happy birthday song**
FUCK YOU, AOL!!!!
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.