Where can I find DB manga?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jackblacktack

Where can I find DB manga?

Post by Jackblacktack » Sat May 22, 2004 9:08 pm

On the web? ( Sorry for asking ) Because I refuse to pay the outrage of a price at my comic store, which I will not go into detail here.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Where can I find DB manga?

Post by VegettoEX » Sat May 22, 2004 9:31 pm

Jackblacktack wrote:Because I refuse to pay the outrage of a price at my comic store
We do not condone stealing, here. Go buy the damn manga. Nice things cost money. And watch your grammar.
Last edited by VegettoEX on Sun May 23, 2004 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jackblacktack

Post by Jackblacktack » Sat May 22, 2004 9:39 pm

25 bucks for a volume is to much in my opinion.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sat May 22, 2004 9:53 pm

Jackblacktack wrote:25 bucks for a volume is to much in my opinion.
If that's what it costs, that's what it costs. If you don't like it, try looking around. Look elsewhere. Buy online.

We don't steal manga, and we're not going to help you. If you're not too keen on that, boo-freakin'-hoo, find another message board.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat May 22, 2004 10:09 pm

Jackblacktack wrote:25 bucks for a volume is to much in my opinion.
$25? Where the hell are you buying it from?! Because, looking at the back of the One Piece volume directly in front of me, the price is $7.95 in the US, and $10.95 in Canada. If, for some reason, your local comic shop is hiking the price by over 200%, then buy it from Amazon, or something.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun May 23, 2004 12:05 am

Why not try ordering it off of Viz's website? I'm not sure what the going rate is on a dragonball graphic novel, but I'm sure it's under $25.
Nice things const money. And watch your grammar.
:lol:

The irony is just too much...

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun May 23, 2004 12:09 am

Oh, shuddap :P

Jackblacktack

Post by Jackblacktack » Sun May 23, 2004 2:27 am

I don't mean to well sound like an ass but. Aren't you kinda stealing by putting up Neko Majin?

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun May 23, 2004 3:09 am

Jackblacktack wrote:I don't mean to well sound like an ass but. Aren't you kinda stealing by putting up Neko Majin?
Kinda, but the rights to publish it in english hasn't been sold yet, so technically he's not stealing anyone's profits. (Like 98% of english speaking westerners aren't going to order it from japan)

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun May 23, 2004 4:11 am

EX and Julian will remove the translation as soon as an English version is announced. That's how fansubs work too.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun May 23, 2004 11:16 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:I'm not sure what the going rate is on a dragonball graphic novel, but I'm sure it's under $25.
If only someone who had posted before had provided some sort of clue...
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."

Jackblacktack

Post by Jackblacktack » Sun May 23, 2004 1:20 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:
Jackblacktack wrote:I don't mean to well sound like an ass but. Aren't you kinda stealing by putting up Neko Majin?

Kinda, but the rights to publish it in english hasn't been sold yet, so technically he's not stealing anyone's profits. (Like 98% of english speaking westerners aren't going to order it from japan)
So our you saying that it is alright to get fan subs of the Buu saga si- ah never mind

TGDweezl
Beyond Newbie

Post by TGDweezl » Sun May 23, 2004 1:39 pm

$25? sheesh. that's about what 3 books would cost. i know when i've gone to waldenbooks or something like that i see it for like $8 a piece. you must be thinking of the akira mangas...i think they run close to that.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun May 23, 2004 1:56 pm

Jackblacktack wrote:So our you saying that it is alright to get fan subs of the Buu saga si- ah never mind
Isn't the Buu saga already out on DVD?

Regardless, the situation is still different, as all of DBZ is due out on DVD before too long. The chances of NMZ getting an English release, however, is fairly small. And when it does, pretty much everyone here would buy it. If you went and bought fansubs of, say, SSJ 2 Gohan vs Cell, would you then buy the official release when it came out? If so, there's no problem.

And I really would like to know why your local shop charges $25. Especially when each issue already has a much cheaper price printed directly on to the cover. It's pretty hard for shops to change the price when that happens.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun May 23, 2004 2:07 pm

Actually it's not hard. The cover price is only a suggested price. He must live in an area where the store has a monopoly on the goods (ie: NO other store in area sells manga products, let alone DB). When that happens the store can charge whatever price they want. Stores that go over the cover price usually stick within $1 more so as not to avoid pissing off customers (unless the product's like a few hundred bucks), so I still doubt the whole $25 crap.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Sun May 23, 2004 2:56 pm

Or it's import? >.> I've seen US Dragon Ball & Inu Yasha [old versions] sell for as much as €24 [about...$27?]

But than again, this is the Netherlands, everything is expensive here, not only import >.<
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun May 23, 2004 3:06 pm

€24 = $28.74

But in any event, you shouldn't be paying that much when you could just import them from Amazon. Even with shipping, it'll be a lot cheaper. And I'm sure there are other on-line places to order from that will have cheaper (or free) p&p.

They cost £6.99 in my local sci-fi/comic/nerd shop, which is about $12.49. Slightly more, but not enough to make me import them. Unless I'm getting DVDs at the same time, in which case I usually throw in an issue.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Where can I find DB manga?

Post by Super Sonic » Mon May 24, 2004 1:48 am

Jackblacktack wrote:On the web? ( Sorry for asking ) Because I refuse to pay the outrage of a price at my comic store, which I will not go into detail here.
Hey do you go to a corrupt comic store or something? They're only $7.95 in the US for the SJ editions and $14.95 for the bigger older editions. If you really want to save just subscribe to SJ.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon May 24, 2004 2:18 am

Most likely, he lives in some European country where DB hasn't been released yet.

The big version of the volumes cost over 25$ in Norway, so his price isn't unrealistic.

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Mon May 24, 2004 2:39 am

Concerning Neko Majin Z 3... Frankly, it's illegal to translate and distribute anything you don't own the rights to. Going on about how there's no money being made, that you'd buy it if it did come out, that the creators don't care, that it hasn't been licensed yet, and all those other popular arguments... is nothing more than a bunch of people trying to ease their guilty consciences over their 'not-quite stealing.' I don't see how anyone who downloads/distributes that stuff can complain about full episodes...

I know that I'm guilty too, since I was the one who scanned NMZ3, but at least I acknowledge it... ^_^