DBZ dub actors voicing differently

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sat May 29, 2004 4:10 pm

Dameon Clarke is only Gohan in the Trunks special, sadly. He's voiced by Kyle Hebert in the TV series, who does a fairly good job, but it's not quite the same. Actually, I have trouble picturing Clarke doing the Great Saiyaman and goofy high school stuff as well as Hebert, since he always does serious characters. But I'm sure Clarke would've done a splendid job with the OMG ULTRA BADASS MYSTIC GOHAN (not that Hebert was bad at it).

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat May 29, 2004 5:13 pm

I suppose it's because of the difference in age. Future Gohan was super serious adult and mature, while Teen Gohan was all goofy and stuff.

I loves Clarke's future Gohan though. He sounded a lot like Schemmel's Goku, but, well, better.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun May 30, 2004 1:27 pm

I was just checking and found out that Mayumi Tanaka also did the voice of Koenma on YYH. So they could've cast either Mr. Strait or Mr. McFarland as him, but I like Sean Teague's Koenma better.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun May 30, 2004 5:57 pm

If anyone's curious about any of the Japanese seiyuu for DB(other roles they did for example), just ask me. Sadly I know a little too much when it comes to Japanese VAs. :P Example of this: Shigeru Chiba who voiced Raditz and Pilaf, also did Kuwabara in Yu Yu Hakusho. See? Sad eh? Here's another one: Cell's VA is Norio Wakamoto who also did Vicious in Cowboy Bebop. Don't you feel sorry for me? :wink:
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Sun May 30, 2004 11:07 pm

Heh, I'm another person who's obsessed with seiyuu, and I pride myself on recognizing my favorites in as many series as possible (when I venture a guess as to who is voicing a particular character, I'm usually right....just one of those useless talents I've acquired :D ) It's sometimes funny the way in which I figure out a particular seiyuu....I recognized Tanaka Mayumi as playing Koenma in Yuu Yuu Hakushou because the way he cowered sounded just like Krillin ^o^ A more difficult one that I got was recognizing Horikawa Ryo (Vegeta) as playing the younger brother of one of the main characters in Kizuna because of the noises he made during a fight o_O The voice was hardly recognizable as he was using a much younger voice than Vegeta in a addition to a heavy Kansai dialect, but once I heard him going "Waaa ta ta ta ta ta!", I knew it was him ^_^ (I don't know if Horikawa is a martial artist, or if he just chooses to make the same battle noises for all of his characters)
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon May 31, 2004 2:02 am

Oh good! I'm not the only one at least! ^_^ Yes, it really does become an admirable but useless talent after a while. XD Here's another one: Zarbon was voiced by Hayami Sho, who also does that cool Wolfwood in Trigun. See? Useless, but fun!

koden
Not-So-Newbie

Post by koden » Mon May 31, 2004 3:40 pm

=word limit=
Last edited by koden on Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon May 31, 2004 5:04 pm

If you want to listen to Ryo Horikawa in more of a younger protagonist type role, check out the Gundam OAV- Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory. Horikawa voices the main character Kou Uraki. His voice is also very young and different sounding in Saint Seiya where he voiced Shun Andromeda.

Shigeru Chiba is a very talented and overlooked seiyuu these days. He was one the original ones that first started out back in the 80's along with Mayumi Tanaka(Kuririn), Toshio Furukawa(Piccolo), and Akira Kamiya(Ginyu, and Ryo Saeba of City Hunter). He has an unbelievable range. He voiced Buggy the Clown in One Piece, Megane in Urusei Yatsura, Yotsuya in Maison Ikkoku, Niku-man(Kuno's ninja servant) in Ranma 1/2. He is friends with Mamoru Oshii who has used him in a lot of his projects.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon May 31, 2004 5:10 pm

Interesting. The Japanese Pilaf is Kuwabara while the English Pilaf is Hiei. I know I might get some flack over this, but I prefer Mr. Sabat's Kuwabara. You guys probably already know this, but Kurama's Japanese voice is done by Megumi Ogata, aka Haruka "Sailor Uranus" Tenoh.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon May 31, 2004 5:22 pm

Yes, that was her first role and the one that put her on the map, to the delight of fangirls everywhere. :)

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Mon May 31, 2004 5:40 pm

She also played Tsukishiro Yukito, as well as Yue, in Cardcaptor Sakura. 8) Her voice for him is one of the reasons I like him so much.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Mon May 31, 2004 6:44 pm

You guys have just reminded me of one instance where FUNi actually did match up English and Japanese voices: Pilaf and TV Garlic Jr! Both were done by Chiba in Japanese, and both done by Chuck Huber in English. Movie Garlic Jr was done by Akira Kamiya (awesome awesome awesome) in Japanese, and, um, Some Ocean Guy in the dub.

You can add me to that seiyuu stalker list, too. :D Though, the only three shows I've actually seen in Japanese are Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, and the original Gundam. Let's see how many crossovers between those three I know...

Tooru Furuya is Yamcha, Tuxedo Mask, and Amuro Rei. Mami Koyama is Lunch, Esmeraude, and Kycilia Zabi. Furukawa does Blue/Piccolo, Hawk's Eye, and Kai Shiden. Katsuji Mori does Panputt/Nail, Nephrite, and Garma Zabi.

One of my favorite crossovers is Yuko Minaguchi. She does Videl, Mister Satan's daughter, and Hotaru/Sailor Saturn in Sailor Moon. "Satan" and "Saturn" are pronounced almost identically in Japanese, so I've always wondered if they did that on purpose.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon May 31, 2004 7:15 pm

Yes, I have always liked Minaguchi's voice. It's very sweet-sounding.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon May 31, 2004 10:00 pm

In the dub of Dead Zone, Garlic Jr. was done by Dave Ward who also did the voice of Pilaf in the 1995 dub of Dragon Ball and King Kai.

Jodaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jodaku » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:15 am

PsyLiam wrote:Is he the Ocean Gohan? I do like his voice, and it does sound a lot like Morrow's Goku (which makes sense from the Japanese voices POV).

FUNi's Gohan is Damon Clarke, isn't it? And everyone seems to love him too. How comes adult Gohan gets all the good voices?
Yeah, Brad Swalie is Ocean's Gohan (my favourite English VA, alongside Drummond). He also does Nightcrawler in X-Men Evolution and Quatre from Gundam Wing.

And I agree that all post pre-teen Gohan's seem to have gotten good to superb English VA's (Excluding Blue Water's Gohan of course).
PsyLiam wrote:I loves Clarke's future Gohan though. He sounded a lot like Schemmel's Goku, but, well, better.
I totally agree, although I do wonder how Brad Swalie would've handled Future Gohan.
TripleRach wrote:But I'm sure Clarke would've done a splendid job with the OMG ULTRA BADASS MYSTIC GOHAN (not that Hebert was bad at it).
Brad Swalie's Mystic Gohan kicked ass, it would have to be something extreamly special from Dameon Clark to better it.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:16 pm

I never realised he did Nightcrawler. Although now you mention it...
Jodaku wrote:And I agree that all post pre-teen Gohan's seem to have gotten good to superb English VA's (Excluding Blue Water's Gohan of course).
Of course.

And to be fair, even young Gohan faired well in the acting stakes. You can argue back and forth over whether Henderson (and Nadonly)'s voice was appropriate for the character, but they could act (if we ignore Nadonly's ropey beginning).

On the other hand (and only slightly related), it is beginning to annoy me how every cartoon on TV seems to use one of two voice groups...it's either the Ocean lot (Cyclops is Goku! Man-At Arms is Primal! Wolverine is Dinobot!), or it's the Cartoon Cartoon lot (exactly how many people out there sound like Dexter's mum, anyway?)
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]