The Tuffles

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:36 am

Super Sonic wrote:France and Mexico do that with American comics and cartoons as well.
Speaking of, the Mexican dub of the Dragon Ball series has had its moments of "Wait, what?" when it comes to translations or just name changes. Such as using Pikoro instead of Piccolo, as well as calling the original one being called "Pikoro Daimaku" instead of Piccolo Daimao.

Funny enough, they say "Dragon Ball/Z/GT" for each series' title, but the actual Dragon Balls are actually called "Las esferas de dragón."
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:11 am

Captain Awesome wrote:The Tsufuru-jin are exclusive to the anime, they are however a concept that Toriyama came up with.

Also, am I the only one that thinks "Tuffle" sounds extremely stupid?
Hello no. Every time I hear it I think of what a pig finds with it's nose. :roll: I prefer the original Japanese name.
SSJ Rambo wrote:"I understand that the events that take place in the OVA cannot be part of the manga timeline, but there is no reason that the events, or parts of the events, that are mentioned in the OVA (such as the history of the Saiya-jin and Tsufuru) cannot fit. And since those parts (and those parts alone) are mentioned in the Daizenshuu, it falls into my definition on Dragonball canon.

And also, I'm pretty sure that the spaceship was only mentioned in the Daizneshuu.
I was always confused by the origin's of the Saiyajin being not from their original homeworld. I even thought it was a piece of fanon at one point until I heard it was present in the Daizenshuu. I am glad to find out what it's true source material is.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:14 am

Maphisto86 wrote:Hello no. Every time I hear it I think of what a pig finds with it's nose. :roll: I prefer the original Japanese name.
You mean the ripened ovaries of flowering plants?

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:05 am

Rocketman wrote:
Maphisto86 wrote:Hello no. Every time I hear it I think of what a pig finds with it's nose. :roll: I prefer the original Japanese name.
Yeah, Truffles :D :oops: :roll: I guess it could work in the pun theme scheme of things but I just didn't think it sounded right.

Anyway, I will ask this though: Is there any canon indication that scouters where the invention of the Tsufurujin? On many websites that is what is said but as far as I am aware both the manga and the anime never say such. Of course I don't have those sources with me. let alone a Daizenshuu :cry: .

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:29 am

Rocketman wrote:
Casual Matt wrote:For what it's worth, the UK / Canadian / Blue Water dub of GT used the word Tsufle. Which is much closer to the original word and less dumb sounding.
...it's exactly the same but for a hiss at the end of the 'tuh'.
I've only seen a few clips on Youtube, but I'm pretty sure they pronounce it Tsoo-ful.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:45 am

Maphisto86 wrote:Anyway, I will ask this though: Is there any canon indication that scouters where the invention of the Tsufurujin? On many websites that is what is said but as far as I am aware both the manga and the anime never say such. Of course I don't have those sources with me. let alone a Daizenshuu :cry: .
Toriyama's memo on the Tsufuru and Saiyan history notes that the scouter was one of the Tsufuru's inventions. I don't believe the actual episode directly states this, but the fact that the Tsufuru are shown with scouters rather strongly suggests it.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:16 am

Maphisto86 wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
Yeah, Truffles :D :oops: :roll: I guess it could work in the pun theme scheme of things but I just didn't think it sounded right.
No, no. Fruits are the ripened ovaries of flowering plants.

Unless truffles are fruit, I dunno.

Wojak
Regular

Post by Wojak » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:27 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Maphisto86 wrote:
Rocketman wrote: You mean the ripened ovaries of flowering plants?

They are some kind of mushroom-thingies, living under the soil. So I don't think that can be called fruit.
No more time for Daizex. Goodbye folks!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:27 pm

I thought Truffles was exactly what the Tsuffles were a pun on. Truffles are essentially mushrooms, which are vegetables, like the Saiyan name-puns. If you argue that they're a different kind of plant than the edible vegetable kind, notice that their indegenous planet's name was "Plant." Truffles sounds like an excellent pun to go on.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Herms

Post by Herms » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:56 pm

Nah, GT Perfect Files vol.1 confirms that Tsufuru is a pun on "fruits". I think it's mentioned in one or two more official sources as well, but I can't quite remember.

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:23 pm

Probably, the original intention/concept on this is that both races arose on Planet Plant. (if they did - the Saiyans and Tsufuls could be related) Then I guess Toei got the idea of the Saiyans being an introduced species, from the OVA, when they tossed that bit into GT..
Just Saiyan...

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:57 pm

Yeah, switch the first syllable around and "tsufuru" becomes "furutsu" ("fruits"). Fruits vs. Vegetables. The age-old rivalry.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:33 pm

Just out of curiosity, what would "truffles" be in Japanese?

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:39 pm

Rocketman wrote:Just out of curiosity, what would "truffles" be in Japanese?
Something close to "toryufu".
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:44 pm

"Tu-Ra-Fu(-Ru)," I guess.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:16 pm

Sprite Satan wrote:
Rocketman wrote:Just out of curiosity, what would "truffles" be in Japanese?
Something close to "toryufu".
Yes, the Japanese Wikipedia says トリュフ.

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:58 am

Rocketman wrote:
Maphisto86 wrote:
Rocketman wrote: You mean the ripened ovaries of flowering plants?

I guessed that's what you meant but reading the Wikipedia page on Truffles, their category seemed a bit nebulous to me at the time: "The ascoma (fruiting body) of truffles is highly prized as a food,". Of course they are not talking about the Truffle in it's entirety so I stand corrected. :x :oops:
Herms wrote:Toriyama's memo on the Tsufuru and Saiyan history notes that the scouter was one of the Tsufuru's inventions. I don't believe the actual episode directly states this, but the fact that the Tsufuru are shown with scouters rather strongly suggests it.
Thanks for that answer Herms. :) I like reading the character sheets that are posted here on Daizenshuu EX. Gives a little bit of insight in how Mr. Toriyama imagined the story. Where is the memo seen? In one of the Daizenshuu?

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:21 am

Maphisto86 wrote:Thanks for that answer Herms. :) I like reading the character sheets that are posted here on Daizenshuu EX. Gives a little bit of insight in how Mr. Toriyama imagined the story. Where is the memo seen? In one of the Daizenshuu?
It's shown in Daizenshuu 5 and DBZ Son Goku Densetsu. The image in Son Goku Densetsu is much bigger and easier to read. Here's a translation of it I did awhile back:
Planet Plant [crossed out in red with “Planet Vegeta” written in, but all other instances of “Planet Plant” are left untouched] is a difficult planet to live on, as its gravity is unusually strong. However, two races live here. The majority of the inhabitants of Planet Plant are Tsufuru. Their bodies are small, but knowledge-wise they have a comparatively advanced culture and civilization. The other race has an unusually small population, but their bodies are large and strong. They are a primitive, warlike race called the Saiyans. Their biggest distinguishing characteristic is that they have tails, and every one of them seems to be a warrior.

[Picture of Tsufuru, with scouter and blaster gun, labeled “Tsufuru-jin”. We see a colored version of this guy in DBZ episode 20 when Kaio introduces the Tsufuru] Due to the heavy gravity, they are about half as big as the Saiyans.

[arrow pointing to scouter on Tsufuru’s head] This scouter, for instance, and other such things were originally Tsufuru inventions.

[picture of three caveman-like Saiyans, all three of which ended up appearing in Kaio’s flashback] The Saiyans of long ago

[picture of the Saiyans’ rocky housing] The housing area that the ancient Saiyans lived in (perhaps more varied shapes might be good?)