Insights and Questions from the New Special

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Insights and Questions from the New Special

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:53 pm

Yamcha_krillin wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Yamcha_krillin wrote: Wich form of Freeza?

The special does not say which of Freeza’s forms that Avo and Cado could be compared to. I would believe the 4th form because when Avo and Cado “Merge” (their version of dance fusion or should we call theirs “Vogue Fusion” :D) into Aka Super Saiyan 1 Gotenks could not finish him off.
Okey then.I didn't watch the special yet but when Ako and Cado merged SSJ Gotenks wasn't a match right?

Oh and apparently SSJ Goku>>>>SSJ Gotenks,and somehow Android 18 can sense Ki but she didn't know how to do that in the Buu saga
Sort of, I think. It's not exactly said that Gotenks couldn't handle it, but it's implied to the point that I think it's probably the case.

I don't remember 18 ever sensing Ki in the special?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:57 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:In addition to this, [Vegeta] really surprised me with “the honor is mine” comment to Gure.
It's worth pointing out that that line, kochira koso, is part of the standard formal Japanese. It's hard to translate literally, but it's also equivalent to stuff like "the pleasure is all mine" and stuff like that. Jim Breen's dictionary renders it as "it is I who should say so".
Saiyan-Professor wrote:The only time that any concern was shown was when Aka was formed.
Speaking of Aka, he was never actually referred to as such in the special. Trunks and Goten actually call him "Avocado", but that's probably just intended as a "Trunkten"-type case of people getting the fused person's name wrong.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:02 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:...The problem with this line of thought is that the creators of this special didn't even bother with the(FAR more recent) rules of fusion. If they didn't care for continuity enough to make Goten and Trunks wait between fusions, I seriously doubt that an offhanded comment meant to gauge the relative power of these new foes would bother to factor in forms and who knows what without saying so outright.
In GT, the rules did not require a time limit, Super Saiyan 4 Vegeta and Kakarrot attempted to fuse not too long after the initial one when they fought Yi Xing Long. The only reason why they were not successful was that Kakarrot was low on Ki.
Herms wrote:...Speaking of Aka, he was never actually referred to as such in the special. Trunks and Goten actually call him "Avocado", but that's probably just intended as a "Trunkten"-type case of people getting the fused person's name wrong.
I noticed that as well, I wondered why his merged name was not ever mentioned. Once the character sheets disappear from the internet you will have new wars concerning whether Avo and Cado’s merged name is Aka or not.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:06 pm

I kinda want to call him "Avocado"/"Abokado", if only because that's what I predicted their merged name would be, back before it was even known they would merge at all.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:07 pm

I'm surprised Yamcha was wearing his uniform. I thought he gave up fighting after the incident with Android 20.

But I know, I know. It's non-cannon. It was great. I loved every second. It's probably waaay out of the realm of possibility, but I hope they make more.

Yamcha_krillin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yamcha_krillin » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:07 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:
Yamcha_krillin wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:

The special does not say which of Freeza’s forms that Avo and Cado could be compared to. I would believe the 4th form because when Avo and Cado “Merge” (their version of dance fusion or should we call theirs “Vogue Fusion” :D) into Aka Super Saiyan 1 Gotenks could not finish him off.
Okey then.I didn't watch the special yet but when Ako and Cado merged SSJ Gotenks wasn't a match right?

Oh and apparently SSJ Goku>>>>SSJ Gotenks,and somehow Android 18 can sense Ki but she didn't know how to do that in the Buu saga
Sort of, I think. It's not exactly said that Gotenks couldn't handle it, but it's implied to the point that I think it's probably the case.

I don't remember 18 ever sensing Ki in the special?
I heard peopel saying that she showed that she can sense Ki in that special.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:11 pm

I actually take this special as canon.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Yi Xing Long
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Yi Xing Long » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:14 pm

Raki wrote:I actually take this special as canon.
Whether anyone likes it or not, this IS cannon, because Akira Toriyama wrote the entire storyline.

disturbed001
Regular

Post by disturbed001 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:19 pm

But didn't he write the story lines for the movies?
Last edited by disturbed001 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"hmm lets see.....nope, I don't have any Jewish candy"

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:19 pm

I don't think there is anything to contradict it being canon.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Yi Xing Long
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Yi Xing Long » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:21 pm

disturbed001 wrote:But didn't he write the story lines for the movies?
No, he only collaborated with the artists doing character designs I believe and left the story (and everything else) to Toei.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:23 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:I'm surprised Yamcha was wearing his uniform. I thought he gave up fighting after the incident with Android 20.

But I know, I know. It's non-cannon. It was great. I loved every second. It's probably waaay out of the realm of possibility, but I hope they make more.
I believe that it was an inside joke concerning that point. There is a scene where Kakarrot looks over at Yamcha and Kuririn and asks, “what’s with the dogi?” and they just laugh in response.
Yamcha_krillin wrote:...I heard peopel saying that she showed that she can sense Ki in that special.
Yes she does.
Yi Xing Long wrote:
Raki wrote:I actually take this special as canon.
Whether anyone likes it or not, this IS cannon, because Akira Toriyama wrote the entire storyline.
Did he actually write it or did he provide a few notes and whoever produced it went from that point?

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:32 pm

So, okay, I'm watching the One Piece special right now, and it's pretty good, but the end credits are at the end!

Why didn't the end credits for the DragonBall special get uploaded?! I wanted to hear the new song and see whatever new animation went with it...
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:36 pm

MagicBox wrote:So, okay, I'm watching the One Piece special right now, and it's pretty good, but the end credits are at the end!

Why didn't the end credits for the DragonBall special get uploaded?! I wanted to hear the new song and see whatever new animation went with it...
According to kanzentai the DVDs will be credit less as well but “bonus material” is promised. So maybe they will be in the extras portion.

http://www.kanzentai.com/index.php

Yamcha_krillin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yamcha_krillin » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:38 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:It seems to me that people saying this are putting more thought into it than the creators did. The way I see it, it was an offhand comment meant to say that Trunks and Goten are about as strong as or a bit stronger than Freeza as Super Saiyan Goku fought him.
I say First Form Freeza, because Freeza himself says that no-one had even seen his third form before, much less his final form.
Perhaps but that was a giant increase in power when they “Merged”, if Avo and Cado was at form 1 Freeza’s level then their version of fusion is superior to the Metamoran one.
I agree.

Peopel are saying that they didn't said that Abo and Cado were comparable to Frieza before or after they fused. Just that "they're as strong as frieza was." So you really can't judge anything off that.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:40 pm

Yamcha_krillin wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Rocketman wrote: I say First Form Freeza, because Freeza himself says that no-one had even seen his third form before, much less his final form.
Perhaps but that was a giant increase in power when they “Merged”, if Avo and Cado was at form 1 Freeza’s level then their version of fusion is superior to the Metamoran one.
I agree.

Peopel are saying that they didn't said that Abo and Cado were comparable to Freeza before or after they fused. Just that "they're as strong as Freeza was." So you really can't judge anything off that.
Oh, I did forget about that. Table/Turble/Taburu/Tarble said that they are "stronger now", so they could very easily be stronger than final form Freeza even with the logic that the Freeza being referred to is first-form.

Yamcha_krillin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yamcha_krillin » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:47 pm

Also peopel are saying that when Gotenks punched that guy he was undamaged but when Goku punched him he was gone.

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:47 pm

My thoughts on this-

I really liked it for what it was, which was a quick burst of fan-service. That being said...

*Uber-glowy Super Saiya-jin hair. Don't like the look of it, fortunately the characters seemed to drop out of the form very quickly when they used it.

*Random Lunch. The hell? The turtle gets dialog but she doesn't? That had such potential! "Hey Lunch, where the hell have you been the last few decades? How comes you haven't aged? Did you kill Tenshinhan? He doesn't seem to be here..."

*Goten, Kuririn and Yamcha wearing the dogi under their clothes. At the time, I was wondering how many times I'd have to see someone's clothes being thrown up into the air.

*Tarble. Uh... What a waste. What botched execution. I don't like Vegeta seeming to greet him so nonchalantly, Vegeta having loudly declared that "There are no more Saiya-jins" in the past. A quick "Oh, you're alive?" or something could've defused that, but as it stands it doesn't rub me the right way.
And I don't see his significance here. All he seemed to do was drag the villain behind him and then stand around radiating a lack of personality. No reaction to seeing more Saiya-jins than his brother, half-breeds, Super Saiya-jins... No real input what so ever after his introduction. Very disappointing.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:53 pm

MisterFlashdude wrote:My thoughts on this-

I really liked it for what it was, which was a quick burst of fan-service. That being said...

*Uber-glowy Super Saiya-jin hair. Don't like the look of it, fortunately the characters seemed to drop out of the form very quickly when they used it.

*Random Lunch. The hell? The turtle gets dialog but she doesn't? That had such potential! "Hey Lunch, where the hell have you been the last few decades? How comes you haven't aged? Did you kill Tenshinhan? He doesn't seem to be here..."

*Goten, Kuririn and Yamcha wearing the dogi under their clothes. At the time, I was wondering how many times I'd have to see someone's clothes being thrown up into the air.

*Tarble. Uh... What a waste. What botched execution. I don't like Vegeta seeming to greet him so nonchalantly, Vegeta having loudly declared that "There are no more Saiya-jins" in the past. A quick "Oh, you're alive?" or something could've defused that, but as it stands it doesn't rub me the right way.
And I don't see his significance here. All he seemed to do was drag the villain behind him and then stand around radiating a lack of personality. No reaction to seeing more Saiya-jins than his brother, half-breeds, Super Saiya-jins... No real input what so ever after his introduction. Very disappointing.
Well, he probably assumed Vegeta would breed with a human if he was living there.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:56 pm

MisterFlashdude wrote:All he seemed to do was drag the villain behind him and then stand around radiating a lack of personality.
Just like all of the newly-introduced supporting characters of the past! It's classic DragonBall!

:wink:
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs