Dragon Ball Z Being Re-edited and Re-dubbed for HDTV

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DB_Fan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:56 am

So they are reducing 291 episodes to about 100? :o

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:56 am

How do we know these alleged 100 episodes will even be sequential, though? They could very well be a “best-of” compilation. I mean, that’s 191 episodes they’re shaving off. Even supposing there’s less filler, who’s to say some of the actual show won’t also be cut?

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z Being Re-edited and Re-dubbed for HDTV

Post by Olivier Hague » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:58 am

kei17 wrote:
680 名前: 名無しさん名無しさん Mail: sage 投稿日: 2009/02/06(金)
リメイクといっても
昔のテレビシリーズのフィルムをデジタルリマスターしたものを
素材にに再編集、デジタルエフェクトなどを加えたもの。
音響はアフレコなどをやり直してすべて新しくなる。
作画を新作するのはオープニングとエンディングだけ。
291話あった旧シリーズを100話くらいに再構成するらしい。
This post says that the number of episodes will be about 100. They will reconstruct the whole episodes.
Well, damn. I kinda figured you could have a series twice as short if you got rid of the filler and overly long "power-up" sequences... but thrice as short?
If that poster is legit, I'd really like to see the end result. I'm now genuinely intrigued.

Acid_Reign wrote:Even supposing there’s less filler, who’s to say some of the actual show won’t also be cut?
With only (about) 100 episodes, that does seem inevitable.
Then again, maybe there's actually a lot more fat than I already thought.... 'Been a while...
Last edited by Olivier Hague on Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:01 am

Taking into account Garic Jr. and the Other World Tournament, that's gotta be at least 50 episodes gone. Then there's the untidy jizzum mess that was Goku VS Freeza. And not to forget that the Buu saga had a lot of extra scenes that weren't so much filler, but fights and such to gap it out.

Eh, If I had to make a prediction, I could see the Buu saga getting a lot shaved off since it's not a very popular part of the series, even canon segments. :<
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DB_Fan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:05 am

The Saiyan arc has a lot of filler too. And the Fake Namek stuff, Bulma's crab, the driving episode, and many more are probably gone.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:08 am

I'm pretty disappointed that nothing will be redrawn...

EDIT: Woohoo, I am finally a regular!
Last edited by Kingdom Heartless on Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:09 am

Olivier Hague wrote:
Kingdom Heartless wrote:I think they could still keep that, considering how they did it fairly well with the early episodes of Z in the edited dub.
Did they, really? ^^;
No.
I've never seen that dub, but from what I've read on the net, I really can't imagine it working. I know it wouldn't work for me, anyway. ^^;
Trust me, you don’t want to. I even tried replicating the edits made to the original US broadcast with my Dragon Box footage (namely because I want to attempt to put the Ocean dub on my eventual compilation album), and wow, what a jarring experience that was. On the first episode alone, they’re missing the introduction, certain shots are out of order, and other parts are trimmed (I’m talking really small segments, like the beginning of a pan across the pink chicken-creatures), not because they actually needed to be, but just to make everything go quicker; I presume so they could get to the action.

Needless to say, I didn’t make it very far with that endeavor.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:13 am

I actually meant the parts about ending on cliffhangers, not the episodes as wholes.
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:14 am

Of course, we're jumping the gun here, and all this is based off a of a Japanese forum post. I'd say we have wait and see the first few episodes before we can come to a conclusion of what they're going to be doing with this.

Also, am I the only who thinks of what happened with Pokemon Advance Generation as a similar thing happening here? If anyone actually bothers with Pokemon after Johto, anyway.

(If you don't, the Pokemon attacks were all remodeled from they're original designs and cleaned up with CGI, making virtually every move like a finishing attack. Even simple moves, like Bubble.)
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Oldphan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Oldphan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:20 am

Wow this is incredible... Is this really for real? :shock:

All the best,
Oldphan
http://www.youtube.com/DragonballToys
http://www.youtube.com/Foreverwolffilms
www.Oldphan.com
*Ex-Senior Editor of http://www.dragonballtoys.com

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:22 am

B wrote:Taking into account Garic Jr. and the Other World Tournament, that's gotta be at least 50 episodes gone.
That's actually only about 15 episodes.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:28 am

Man, I suck at math. I knew the Ano'Yoichi Budokai as short, but Garlic Jr. was that small as well? Damn.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:28 am

I~'m a little skeptical about it, don't know why.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:43 am

B wrote:Man, I suck at math. I knew the Ano'Yoichi Budokai as short, but Garlic Jr. was that small as well? Damn.
Well, I guess it just seems like 50 episodes when you're watching it.
Acid_Reign wrote:How do we know these alleged 100 episodes will even be sequential, though? They could very well be a “best-of” compilation.
I don't know, a third of the series seems like quite a lot for a "best-of" compilation. Perhaps they're only doing up to the end of the Freeza stuff? The poster Kei quoted did say they'd be remaking the old 291 episode show in 100 episodes, but does that mean they're going to cover the whole story?
Son Wukong wrote:I~'m a little skeptical about it, don't know why.
Well, the Jump scan makes it pretty official.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:45 am

B wrote:Of course, we're jumping the gun here, and all this is based off a of a Japanese forum post. I'd say we have wait and see the first few episodes before we can come to a conclusion of what they're going to be doing with this.

Also, am I the only who thinks of what happened with Pokemon Advance Generation as a similar thing happening here? If anyone actually bothers with Pokemon after Johto, anyway.

(If you don't, the Pokemon attacks were all remodeled from they're original designs and cleaned up with CGI, making virtually every move like a finishing attack. Even simple moves, like Bubble.)
God I hated that. And the whole “whatever body part is being used to attack has to glow”. Ugh. I hope this updated DBZ doesn’t end up the same way. If they have any tact they’ll increase the “wow” factor without going over the top… i.e. redoing Ki attacks in 3D, for example, but not adding any effects that weren’t already present.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:47 am

I kind of hope they don't redo the SSJ hair to be the way it was with the special.

Not that it's terrible, just not the way I like it.

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:48 am

Herms wrote:I don't know, a third of the series seems like quite a lot for a "best-of" compilation. Perhaps they're only doing up to the end of the Freeza stuff? The poster Kei quoted did say they'd be remaking the old 291 episode show in 100 episodes, but does that mean they're going to cover the whole story?
I think Cell and Boo are too popular not to receive the same treatment as Freeza. Plus, people would naturally want to see the same effects across different sagas. Limiting to just one part of the story seems like a less-than-fitting tribute for a 20th anniversary, at any rate.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:50 am

Acid_Reign wrote:
Herms wrote:I don't know, a third of the series seems like quite a lot for a "best-of" compilation. Perhaps they're only doing up to the end of the Freeza stuff? The poster Kei quoted did say they'd be remaking the old 291 episode show in 100 episodes, but does that mean they're going to cover the whole story?
I think Cell and Boo are too popular not to receive the same treatment as Freeza. Plus, people would naturally want to see the same effects across different sagas. Limiting to just one part of the story seems like a less-than-fitting tribute for a 20th anniversary, at any rate.
Or maybe it'll have a new ending at the Freeza saga, kind of like Mr Toriyama originally intended. That would be interesting, anyway.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:51 am

Acid_Reign wrote:
Well yeah, I know that Cell arc has some of my favourite parts of the series, and I love the Buu arc aswell. I know that there are a lot of people who feel the same.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:52 am

I want consistent SSJ hair. Specifically, pale blonde, such as Vegeta's hair at the Cell Games, or Goku's in Movie 5 or his fight with Kid Buu in the anime.

The darkish blonde of SSJ2 Teen Gohan, SSJ Goten, and SSJ Kid Trunks, never did it for me.