Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.
Michsi
I Live Here
Posts: 4557
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Michsi » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:48 pm

I knew that name was familiar. I really liked their second opening for Code Geass. But I don't know much about their other songs. I would have loved a new song, but a cover for Head cha la is ok too.

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by penguintruth » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:50 pm

It would probably make more sense to do "We Gotta Powaa", considering this is just after the defeat of Buu.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8869
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:54 pm

I kept thinking the Head Cha La sounded different in the trailer, at least from the version of the song I'm used to hearing. That's awesome! I loved their Naruto opening, so this could turn out to sound awesome. I do think using the second Z opening would have fit better though, and I do like that a lot better than Cha La, but I guess it's just too iconic for the series to escape.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

User avatar
MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5821
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:54 pm
Location: Prague, Czechia
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:03 pm

penguintruth wrote:It would probably make more sense to do "We Gotta Powaa", considering this is just after the defeat of Buu.
Yes! Not mockingly meaned, but you always were and will be my favorite nitpicker, being it here or on ANN and I'm 100% siding with you in this.
It made sense in the 2008 Special, being it first actual feature in series after years and Chala is somewhat iconic track,
but for this portion of the series, We Gotta Power is the thing and I always loved that upbeat instrumental which hyped me everytime the opening started in TV.
FighterZ, Street Fighter 6, Mortal Kombat: Funky_Strudel
PS5: Dynamixx88
Trust me, I'm millenial and a designer.

User avatar
Ryuman
Regular
Posts: 599
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:33 am
Location: Taunton, England

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Ryuman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:10 pm

penguintruth wrote:It would probably make more sense to do "We Gotta Powaa", considering this is just after the defeat of Buu.
I reckon it'd be more to FLOW's style as well, considering its tempo.

User avatar
Kaboom
Moderator
Posts: 14524
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:07 pm

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Kaboom » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:18 pm

I also would much rather have seen We Gotta Power get some love in the new movie. But I guess new covers of Cha-La are always fun, too.
[ BlueSky | Bsky: DBS Plots | DeviantArt | Twitter (Depreciated) ]

[PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader | Switch FC: SW-4304-7361-2824 | ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone") ]

Powar Levuls! — DBZ | Movies & Specials | GT

User avatar
B
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5563
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:15 am
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by B » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:34 pm

FLOW has done a couple of Naruto openings, IIRC. I did like the one during the endless filler.

I guess a cover of the longest Z theme is a more "monumental" way of going about the movie, considering we get a new Kageyama theme every other game. It would be cool to here him in some capacity, though.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

User avatar
Saiga
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8311
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:36 pm
Location: Space Australia

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Saiga » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:36 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:So i'm guessing the movie will be GT again. GT= Goku Time.

Please let the others do things.
Of course it's gonna be Goku's time again. He is the main character of the franchise. He is what Luffy is to One Piece, what Naruto is to Naruto, what Arale is to Dr. Slump, what Jack Sparrow is to The Pirates of the Caribbean, etc. Sure he was replaced by Gohan, and almost additionally by Goten &Trunks, but still Toriyama decided that ultimately, Goku is the main character of the series. And that's how it will always will be, like it or not. Because Goku is a better hero compared Gohan, Goten, or Trunks, and most importantly, Goku sells better. And they obviously want this to sell a lot, so experimenting with new main characters like Pan, Oob, Goku Jr. & Vegeta Jr., Beet, or the main character in DBO wouldn't be a very good idea.
Goku being the main character is different from Goku being the only character that gets to have any importance.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

User avatar
batistabus
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 2108
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:55 pm
Location: DBS:SH

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by batistabus » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:39 pm

My reaction to this news.

"...so?"

*Youtube search*

"OMGF IT'S FIGHTING DREAMERS AW YEAH!"

I'm not into Naruto anymore (haven't seen past the Chunin exams), but this is the one theme I actually remember and remember loving. So even though it's not We Gotta Power, I'm interested in hearing the final result.

User avatar
Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
Posts: 1848
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:29 pm
Location: Space Lisbon, Space Portugal

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Rukura » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:52 pm

Their Naruto Shippuden opening was one of the best yet, along with GO!, Fighting Dreamers and the Code Geass opening.

They have plenty of other great songs and are a great band overall, so I'm happy to see them do it. Would I have prefered a new Kageyama song? Maybe even Orange Hero? Yeah but, if it's gonna be someone else doing Cha-La, I think it's in good hands :)
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

User avatar
DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here
Posts: 2832
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:01 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:04 pm

I hope we get an ending (perhaps a full length version of 'Orange Hero' or maybe even a cover of 'We Were Angels') and an insert song to go along with it. Would make a fine soundtrack for the collection.

I hope Kageyama will have some sort of involvement.

User avatar
B
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5563
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:15 am
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by B » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:06 pm

Oh Dende, we still don't have a full version of "Orange Hero" out, do we? Sadness.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

User avatar
JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 18954
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Location: 🏳️‍⚧️🍉

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:44 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I kept thinking the Head Cha La sounded different in the trailer, at least from the version of the song I'm used to hearing. That's awesome! I loved their Naruto opening, so this could turn out to sound awesome. I do think using the second Z opening would have fit better though, and I do like that a lot better than Cha La, but I guess it's just too iconic for the series to escape.
That wasn't part of the trailer, actually. The network was simply playing the song over the trailer, as is common for those sort of shows.
💙💜💖 She/Her 💙💜💖
6–4, 3–6, 6–1, 3–6, 6–3

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15309
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:25 pm

Oh. Oh my God. You guys, the story page is up. And it's more text-as-image.
http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/movie/2013_d ... llz/story/

Image

I'm going to try to translate while I wait for someone with a faster translating speed than I have to arrive.
I can't tell if it's anything that isn't already in the intro, but I see Piccolo's name in there.
On hiatus.

User avatar
Avenged
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1023
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Avenged » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:26 pm

Good find.
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

User avatar
batistabus
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 2108
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:55 pm
Location: DBS:SH

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by batistabus » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:27 pm

That's the flipping tree, there's no way it's not! I guess we'll know soon....

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15309
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:35 pm

Thank you!
I'm such a slow translator; I hope to be able to pick up speed eventually through practice.

The first line is the typical "Mukashi mukashi"/a long time ago thing they use at the beginning of DB's manga.
In the middle of trying to find the kanji in the 2nd line; the rest of the 2nd line is done minus the kanji.

*Hopes Kei, Herms, or Julian drops by soon.*
On hiatus.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 18954
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Location: 🏳️‍⚧️🍉

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:39 pm

Looks like it's just a recap of the comic's events.
💙💜💖 She/Her 💙💜💖
6–4, 3–6, 6–1, 3–6, 6–3

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15309
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:43 pm

Aw, is it? :( I'll stop trying to translate then if it's just recapping manga stuff for people unfamiliar with the series. I saw Freeza's name in there too, but I thought since he's mentioned in the movie...oh well.

Scanning further for names, I see Bulma, later followed by Piccolo, Freeza, Cell, Buu; yeah I guess this is a recap. *Sad-face*.
Now I'm betting that final line is something cryptic like "and now something else is about to occur" or something.

I still hope someone translates it anyway.
On hiatus.

User avatar
Avenged
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1023
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Avenged » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:52 pm

Amazon lists a Battle of Gods album.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASI ... -11-11-22/

via: http://www.dblegends.com/2012/12/new-so ... d-in-2013/

And oh sh*t, another new trailer!
Last edited by Avenged on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

Post Reply