Favorite/Least Favorite Couple?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.
User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20513
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: Sarasota, FL
Contact:

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Couple?

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:40 pm

Bulma and Vegeta is probably my least favorite couple. I'm not big on the idea of the Z Team looking past Vegeta's homocidal past, but at least you could say they needed his power. Bulma doesn't have that excuse, she slept with Vegeta by choice after disregarding his horrible past entirely.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
ManimalKaze
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:20 am

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Couple?

Post by ManimalKaze » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:16 pm

My favorite was Gohan and Videl, I really like both characters and their interaction. I just wish they has more...moments in the series. My least favorite is Krillin and Maron I guess. Maron was a very uninteresting character and the Garlic Jr. saga was just...lame.

User avatar
VyeRo
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 229
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:20 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Couple?

Post by VyeRo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:18 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: So least favorite is probably actually Goku and Chi Chi, and most of that comes down honestly to how much I dislike Chi Chi, but also because of how poor of a husband Goku really is.
Why do you dislike Chi Chi so much? Just curious. :D

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Banned
Posts: 6995
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Couple?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:24 pm

VyeRo wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote: So least favorite is probably actually Goku and Chi Chi, and most of that comes down honestly to how much I dislike Chi Chi, but also because of how poor of a husband Goku really is.
Why do you dislike Chi Chi so much? Just curious. :D
Gohan's Studies > Fate of the Earth
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20513
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: Sarasota, FL
Contact:

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Couple?

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:33 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
VyeRo wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote: So least favorite is probably actually Goku and Chi Chi, and most of that comes down honestly to how much I dislike Chi Chi, but also because of how poor of a husband Goku really is.
Why do you dislike Chi Chi so much? Just curious. :D
Gohan's Studies > Fate of the Earth
Gotta go with this. This drives me nuts, but at least it's played for comedy.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8869
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Couple?

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:48 pm

VyeRo wrote:Why do you dislike Chi Chi so much? Just curious. :D
Pretty much for the reasons that DBZAOTA482 linked to, and that ABED agreed to.

I should clarify further though that I don't 'hate' Chi Chi, by any means. I simply 'dislike' her. I completely understand where she's coming from a lot more now than I did when I was a younger fan, she's worried for her family (well, more specifically her first son). And Goku really is a pretty terrible husband, and oftentimes father (even though he doesn't mean to be) when you get down to it. So I feel for her, I really do.

But then we get to these moments where she flat out says that she doesn't care what happens to the Earth, so long as Gohan studies. Not so long as Gohan is safe, so long as he can study rather than fight. Um...with no planet Earth, it's pretty likely he's not gonna be getting any studying done, unless there's some college choices out there in the afterlife (maybe H.F.I.L.U.?). Unless they save the Earth from the threats to it - which yes, sometimes comes down to her son, who just happens to be gifted with extraordinary powers despite his age - her beloved son is going to die along with everyone else. It's the simple fact that Chi Chi can't see past her own bias to realize this that irks me so sometimes.

So yeah, there's your answer. Hopefully it doesn't come across like a rant so much as a thorough explanation. ^_^;

User avatar
soulnova
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1376
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:45 pm
Location: Mexico
Contact:

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Couple?

Post by soulnova » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:36 pm

Well, her son was kidnapped for a year by some green demon arch-nemesis of her husband to fight ruthless murderous men from outer space. Any mother would have been traumatized by the experience and banned any kind of training afterwards.

I can't open the youtube link to confirm, but I seem to recall the infamous scene was when they were going to train for the androids, right?

She made a bad case with the homework bit but she was completely in her right to call them on their bullshit. All the other (important) adults were so much stronger than Gohan. Goku was a SSJ, Piccolo was at least as strong as Freeza's second form, Vegeta was supposed to ascend at some point...so Chi-Chi couldn't understand WHY they wanted Gohan to fight? Think about it. The adults should have handled the murderous androids and not drag a kid along with them. It was the responsible thing to do. At that point the fate of the world WASNT on Gohan's hands. That was Goku's "job". But of course, she just broke down and couldn't think straight.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20513
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: Sarasota, FL
Contact:

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Couple?

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:45 pm

Goku may be a terrible husband, but she gets what she deserves. He clearly had no interest in marrying her beyond fulfilling a promise he didn't understand and she still went along with it.

The Z Team might have had a lot of guys that were stronger than Gohan, but every bit helps and Gohan wanted to help. Gohan had to be almost at high school level studies but she kept pushing him instead of letting him be a kid. Remember, Gohan was the only one that survived in Trunks' future, so having Gohan get as strong as possible before hand would be a help in case the worst happened.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
VyeRo
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 229
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:20 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Couple?

Post by VyeRo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:59 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:So yeah, there's your answer. Hopefully it doesn't come across like a rant so much as a thorough explanation. ^_^;
No it was really helpful, thanks. I was just curious because your dislike seemed to border on hate, that's why I asked. :)

Sometimes I really pity Chi Chi. She just wanted a normal family, little did she know that she married an alien. :lol:

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20513
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: Sarasota, FL
Contact:

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Couple?

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:12 pm

VyeRo wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:So yeah, there's your answer. Hopefully it doesn't come across like a rant so much as a thorough explanation. ^_^;
No it was really helpful, thanks. I was just curious because your dislike seemed to border on hate, that's why I asked. :)

Sometimes I really pity Chi Chi. She just wanted a normal family, little did she know that she married an alien. :lol:
It's hard to have sympathy when she knew who Goku was.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8869
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Couple?

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:16 pm

VyeRo wrote:No it was really helpful, thanks. I was just curious because your dislike seemed to border on hate, that's why I asked. :)
It does border on it a little bit sometimes, I guess. It's really hard to pin down exactly how much I dislike her, it varies greatly depending on the scene or what kind of a mood I'm in when I get to it, and what not. I'm extremely apathetic towards her, would be a good way to put it, maybe? I'unno. It's complicated. :lol:

Sometimes I really pity Chi Chi. She just wanted a normal family, little did she know that she married an alien. :lol:[/quote]
ABED wrote:
VyeRo wrote:Sometimes I really pity Chi Chi. She just wanted a normal family, little did she know that she married an alien. :lol:
It's hard to have sympathy when she knew who Goku was.
What ABED said. I mean, it could be argued that she hardly knew him since (manga-wise anyway) she only met him once before seeing him again at the tournament...but really, that's the kind of rushing-into-marriage situation where I still find it hard to feel bad for her (except when I slightly do sometimes, when Goku has done something stupid and jerkish).
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

User avatar
fogdark
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 299
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:16 pm
Location: Dressrosa, according to Eiichiro Oda...
Contact:

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Couple?

Post by fogdark » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:22 pm

ABED wrote:It's hard to have sympathy when she knew who Goku was.
But that's the problem, she didn't actually know Goku at all. She saw him once as a kid, and then she met with him once again at the tournament.
So you have this girl who for whatever reason thought Goku had agreed to marry her. She waited for him, and when he didn't come, she felt betrayed and went to look for him. Her fault lies in her being in love with the idea of love, like someone pointed out, not in getting married with Goku even thought he really isn't husband material. Although afterwards, they had 5 peaceful years where they actually were a normal family....until the sh*t hit the fan. So if anything, she should be quite angry at Raditz :lol:
Last edited by fogdark on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, Goku visited me once. He turned to me while I was still speechless, and said, "You've drank too much"...

My Teepublic Store
My Redbubble Store

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Banned
Posts: 6995
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Couple?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:39 pm

ABED wrote:Goku may be a terrible husband, but she gets what she deserves. He clearly had no interest in marrying her beyond fulfilling a promise he didn't understand and she still went along with it.

The Z Team might have had a lot of guys that were stronger than Gohan, but every bit helps and Gohan wanted to help. Gohan had to be almost at high school level studies but she kept pushing him instead of letting him be a kid. Remember, Gohan was the only one that survived in Trunks' future, so having Gohan get as strong as possible before hand would be a help in case the worst happened.
Ouch. :lol:

But bare in mind, Goku only mentions the earth might be endagered and the exact duration of time only after Chi-Chi protests against Gohan's training. It's safe to assume that he didn't fill her in on the hellish future... just that he's going to take Gohan training for an upcoming battle/threat and knowing Gohan, he'll never disagree with father on anything even when he's in the wrong (I.E. Cell Games and Bobbidi's Spaceship):

Chi-Chi: But you just got back from lollygaggin' in space for 'bout one and a half years, and now you wanna go off fightin'? I can't believe you.

Goku: Well, on the subject we're gonna need Gohan's power as well so I'm wondering if Gohan can take some time off school so he can train with us? *twittles index fingers together*

Chi-Chi: How much longer do you insist on gettin' in Gohan-chan's way before you're satisified?! You and Piccolo can just train by yourselves so just butt out!!

Goku: Listen Chi-Chi, like I told you we're gonna need Gohan's power as well. I understand about studying but in three years from now, Earth itself may be endangered.

Chi-Chi: You talk all high and mighty! You don't do work, so you can't take care of Gohan-chan. Have you ever earned a single penny since we've been married?

Goku: Well, that sounds pretty bad now that you point it out but no time for that right now. Gohan made up his mind and wants to fight with us.

Chi-Chi: I said "no" and I mean "NO"! Nothin' you can say that will change my mind!!

Goku: So basically you're saying that Gohan studying is more important than the future of the Earth?

Chi-Chi: Of course it is! No matter what may happen, Gohan studyin' is more important than anythin' else!
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20513
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: Sarasota, FL
Contact:

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Couple?

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:43 pm

fogdark wrote:
ABED wrote:It's hard to have sympathy when she knew who Goku was.
But that's the problem, she didn't actually know Goku at all. She saw him once as a kid, and then he met with him once again at the tournament.
So you have this girl who for whatever reason thought Goku had agreed to marry her. She waited for him, and when he didn't come, she felt betrayed and went to look for him. Her fault lies in her being in love with the idea of love, like someone pointed out, not in getting married with Goku even thought he really isn't husband material. Although afterwards, they had 5 peaceful years where they actually were a normal family....until the sh*t hit the fan. So if anything, she should be quite angry at Raditz :lol:
Well she knew enough about him from her encounters that should have put her off wanting to marry him. Seriously, how naive do you have to be to marry someone who admitted to saying yes because he thought it meant food? If that's not enough, he agreed to marry her because a promise is a promise? that's not a recipe for a happy marriage.

I'm the one who said "in love with the idea of love", and again, I have no sympathy when her idea of what marriage should be blows up in her face because she forgets the main ingredient in a happy marriage - romantic love.

I agree, Goku isn't marriage material. He's a great guy to have around if you need a bodyguard, but he's not committed enough to be a attentive spouce.

Goku wasn't wrong about the Cell Games. Gohan was the only one who could destroy Cell. Gohan has his own will. If he didn't want to fight, he wouldn't have, and I doubt Goku would've made him. He yelled at Chichi because he wanted to go to Namek, so he's not above sticking up for himself if he feels strongly enough.

What happened in Babidi's ship?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Makaioshin
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: Kokomo

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Couple?

Post by Makaioshin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:09 pm

Chaozu and Ran Ran is the cutest love story DB ever told. It is also the creepiest.

User avatar
VyeRo
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 229
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:20 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Couple?

Post by VyeRo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:31 pm

I do feel bad for Chi Chi sometimes, because all she wanted was a normal family and she married an alien with superpowers whose number one priority is training and fighting. She couldn't have seen that coming. But yes, I do agree that she kinda brought this on herself. She should not have rushed into marriage with someone she barely knew, and who thought that marriage was a type of food.

How did their wedding night even go? :lol:

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8869
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Couple?

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:34 pm

VyeRo wrote:How did their wedding night even go? :lol:
I subscribe to the popular theory that Goku was coached into it with food. And then he konked out for about a year, only to wake up to find that they had a kid, because in Dragon Ball, timeskips make babies.

Timeskips are the DB equivalent of the stork myth really.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Banned
Posts: 6995
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Couple?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:51 pm

ABED wrote:
fogdark wrote:
ABED wrote:It's hard to have sympathy when she knew who Goku was.
But that's the problem, she didn't actually know Goku at all. She saw him once as a kid, and then he met with him once again at the tournament.
So you have this girl who for whatever reason thought Goku had agreed to marry her. She waited for him, and when he didn't come, she felt betrayed and went to look for him. Her fault lies in her being in love with the idea of love, like someone pointed out, not in getting married with Goku even thought he really isn't husband material. Although afterwards, they had 5 peaceful years where they actually were a normal family....until the sh*t hit the fan. So if anything, she should be quite angry at Raditz :lol:
Well she knew enough about him from her encounters that should have put her off wanting to marry him. Seriously, how naive do you have to be to marry someone who admitted to saying yes because he thought it meant food? If that's not enough, he agreed to marry her because a promise is a promise? that's not a recipe for a happy marriage.

I'm the one who said "in love with the idea of love", and again, I have no sympathy when her idea of what marriage should be blows up in her face because she forgets the main ingredient in a happy marriage - romantic love.

I agree, Goku isn't marriage material. He's a great guy to have around if you need a bodyguard, but he's not committed enough to be a attentive spouce.

Goku wasn't wrong about the Cell Games. Gohan was the only one who could destroy Cell. Gohan has his own will. If he didn't want to fight, he wouldn't have, and I doubt Goku would've made him. He yelled at Chichi because he wanted to go to Namek, so he's not above sticking up for himself if he feels strongly enough.

What happened in Babidi's ship?
Didn't Goku misinterpretate her offer of marriage as a Japanese exotic-type food that sounded really similar or her offer to be his bride if going by English translation? And didn't he kick her in the crotch?

About Goku/Gohan:

1. Gohan's reluctance only started after trying to beat Cell and failing. Goku was right about his inner strength but was wrong for assuming Gohan reveled in combat like he and his friends did, and the necessary trigger to make him snap.

2. When Vegeta wanted to intervene in Gohan's fight against Dabra, Goku told him to stay back because it was "unfair" even though Gohan was clearly losing and could have died (apparently none of the stuff Piccolo said to him in the Cell Games seemed to have sunken in). Besides, Dabra wanted to take them on all at once.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20513
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: Sarasota, FL
Contact:

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Couple?

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:30 pm

I don't know about kicking her in the crotch, but he did misinterpret wedding/marriage as a type of food.

I don't think Goku ever assumed Gohan revelled in combat. I just think he underestimated Gohan's accumen for battle and his ability to draw out his dormant power.

Goku believes in his son. Gohan may have been losing at that point in the battle but it wasn't that bad. It wasn't anything he couldn't come back from. If Gohan was in real trouble, there's no doubt in my mind that Goku would jump to his aid. Goku could tell how strong Dabura was, and he told Gohan later that if he gets angry, there's no one stronger, not even him.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
TheMightyOzaru
Banned
Posts: 6255
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:50 pm
Location: Capsule Corp

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Couple?

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:39 pm

Goku and Chi chi definitely. My favorite is Bulma and Vegeta though. I don't see how it doesn't make sense. Their hot-headedness makes them a perfect couple. Plus both Bulma and Vegeta are smart.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Post Reply