So MLP Just Went DBZ....

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: So MLP Just Went DBZ....

Post by ABED » Sun May 11, 2014 3:05 pm

This was more tedious than watching an episode of Big Bang Theory and they're outright horrible.
How dare you, sir!

Animation these days tends to be computer animated, so of course it's going to look good and fluid.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Sun May 11, 2014 3:23 pm

Unfortunately this show has a bigger budget than most North American cartoons, and for the demographic it targets, it actually spoils them. The producers know there are older bronies out there, it wouldn't surprise me that they would give them something akin to DBZ as fanservice. However, I don't watch this because it just screams persecution, and brain-deadedness just from the stills, I know it is not actually the case. But, try convincing a Ph.D to watch this. The Stigma associated, combined with the color palette do not make it accessible to everyone.

My little Ponies are essentially for little girls, no offense.

There are things you can overcome in a public by saying ''looks will deceive you'', but one cannot, because no matter how well-written this show is, the ultra stima remains. Like a communist in the 50's-60's.

If you are watching this, well, just confess to it online, not even to your friends.

And those youtube videos of adult males in their 30s opening my little ponies in Target is just creepy to say the least.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Sun May 11, 2014 3:28 pm

ABED wrote:Animation these days tends to be computer animated, so of course it's going to look good and fluid.
The computer doesn't do literally everything for us. I actually work under two supervisors who worked on MLP in the past who are both excellent animators, and the show I'm on now, of course, uses puppets (though in Harmony, not Flash). Tweening creates very robotic animation so it gets used more as a 'helper' in creating breakdown and in-between poses that we finesse afterwards.
MLP and Wakfu were the first shows to show me that puppet-animation doesn't have to look like garbage; they have an excellent sense of timing, weight, squash-and-stretch, secondary action, etc., all those lovely animation principles (and the same can't be said for the majority of modern cartoons...or even the majority of older cartoons really). That's largely owed to the fact that it's done with puppets because there is effort and time that's saved in the most core act of getting things moving so more finesse can go into making that motion good, and that's stuff that needs to be done consciously by the animator.

EDIT: As for the MLP vs. DBZ discussion...I don't think it's a particularly useful discussion to have. People are going to like what they like. That's the beginning and end of it. There's no good reason to be aggressive to someone one way or the other over shows they enjoy.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sun May 11, 2014 3:39 pm

superfunk wrote:
thatdbzguy wrote:
superfunk wrote:Is MLP episodic or serialized? if episodic, I doubt it has better characters and a better story than DBZ.
@thatdbzguy, Is there any show that you think(will admit to) has worse writing than DBZ?
It's usually episodic, but sometimes it'll have two-parters if you want to count those a serialized. In either format though, the stories are usually far better written than DBZ's, although admittedly, that doesn't say much.

For your second question, I'm not sure. Some may exist, but if they do, I haven't seen them myself. From what I have seen though, yeah, DBZ pretty much takes the cake for worst writing.
Beginning to think you are just an elaborate troll :|
I've thought that for a while.
thatdbzguy wrote:For your second question, I'm not sure. Some may exist, but if they do, I haven't seen them myself. From what I have seen though, yeah, DBZ pretty much takes the cake for worst writing.
If thats the case then why are you here? Why not post on a forum of a show that you love like MLP. You have no interest in discussing anything you insult Dragon Ball Z and you try to justify your opinions by saying that you like the show but you recognize its flaws. You will never convince any of us that Dragon Ball Z isn't an amazing show coming here and saying things like MLP has better action than Dragon Ball Z makes me want to vomit. Nothing will come of this thread just like your other threads you'll use this one to voice your own stubborn opinions to no end. Your shtick is getting old.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sun May 11, 2014 3:50 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
ABED wrote:
Took the words right outta my mouth. Honestly, we're on a forum dedicated to a Japanese childrens' show that starts out as juvenile fart-jokes and ends up being basically about muscular guys punching each other through mountains. Is a cartoon about multi-colored ponies really that much more ridiculous?
Yes, especially if you're not a pre-pubescent girl. First off, farts are always funny, and fights don't stop being cool even into adulthood. I know we're supposed to be accepting of all cultures, but I find Bronies to be weird.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. Like I've said, the show is very-well written and beats DBZ in pretty much every category. You should watch the fight scene I'm talking about if you want to dispel any thoughts you have on MLP being only for little girls.

If you can put up with DBZ's amateurish writing, then I'm sure you'll be able to actually appreciate MLP's writing if you give it a chance.
TheGmGoken wrote:You're using irony wrong.
Dramatic irony - knowing more than a character. Like We know Trunks was Vegeta son before Vegeta
Verbal -Sarcasm
Situational- Unexpected. A firehouse burning down from fire.
No, I don't think I am. It's unexpected that a My Little Pony cartoon, which is typically thought of as being strictly for little girls, exceeds at action with just one scene when compared to a series that places action as its main focus throughout its entire story.

It exceeding at the other things I mentioned as well just adds more to the unexpected.
I'm sorry but did you just say my little pony is better then DBZ? What are you smoking smh.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sun May 11, 2014 3:53 pm

Lool I can't believe that there are grown men that watch my little pony. I also think that thatdbzguy is a troll.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun May 11, 2014 3:54 pm

No, I don't think I am. It's unexpected that a My Little Pony cartoon, which is typically thought of as being strictly for little girls, exceeds at action with just one scene when compared to a series that places action as its main focus throughout its entire story.

It exceeding at the other things I mentioned as well just adds more to the unexpected.
That's a Opinion! Not irony. Unexpected meaning that wouldn't happen. If that's your opinion its just a bad confidence. Not irony you're not using the word right

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 11, 2014 3:57 pm

The computer doesn't do literally everything for us. I actually work under two supervisors who worked on MLP in the past who are both excellent animators, and the show I'm on now, of course, uses puppets (though in Harmony, not Flash). Tweening creates very robotic animation so it gets used more as a 'helper' in creating breakdown and in-between poses that we finesse afterwards.
I know it doesn't do everything, but it does keep things on model, and not so "bendy" for lack of a better term. It would probably be best if you use lay terminology, because I and others aren't in the biz.
People are going to like what they like. That's the beginning and end of it. There's no good reason to be aggressive to someone one way or the other over shows they enjoy.
I'm not trying to convince him not to like it, you should point your comments to the original poster. He opened yet another thread to attack DBZ.
Like a communist in the 50's-60's.
Not to get political, but communism is evil, and I'm not sure what point you're trying to make by using this as an example.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Sun May 11, 2014 4:08 pm

Oh, no, sorry ABED, I didn't mean the "People are going to like what they like" bit solely for you, I just quoted you to refer the part about the animation. I meant that generally (honestly a little more for thatdbzguy than anyone). There's plenty of comments that have been made on both sides that are counter-intuitive to a productive discussion.

As for the terminology, breakdowns are, hm, sort of like semi-keys I suppose; the poses that get laid in after the keys (the keys being the poses that are the bare necessity of telling the action a character is doing) to establish the path of the motion and timing. And in-betweens are all the remaining poses that fill in the gaps to achieve the actual, finished movement.
Oh, and 'tweening' is computer-generated in-betweens, where you set keys and just have the computer create the motion from key to key.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Sun May 11, 2014 4:09 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:Really? Really? MLP isn't impressive at all. Do you even like Db?
So breaking the mold by making a cartoon using a brand that was originally labled as just for little girls and making it a mature, un-stereotypical, well-written show isn't impressive?

TheGMGoken wrote:Those beams look worst than budokai 1 beams. Nothing special.
You can't be serious. :|
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sun May 11, 2014 4:16 pm

thatdbzguy wrote: So breaking the mold by making a cartoon using a brand that was originally labled as just for little girls and making it a mature, un-stereotypical, well-written show isn't impressive?

You know, your responses aren't exactly improving others' impressions of MLP or its fans. Also, I'd take "mature" out of that list. I'm not really sure what that would mean.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun May 11, 2014 4:17 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:Really? Really? MLP isn't impressive at all. Do you even like Db?
So breaking the mold by making a cartoon using a brand that was originally labled as just for little girls and making it a mature, un-stereotypical, well-written show isn't impressive?

1. Breaking the mold? It's not the first to do that. Are we seriously going to debate ponies on Kanzenshuu? The show isn't that good. The fight was boring

2. I'm as serious as a heart attack.

3. You seriously going to debate ponies? On a Db website

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 11, 2014 4:22 pm

I'm sure someone could come up with a million reasons why there's nothing wrong with an adult male liking MLP, but I just think it's weird. It's like that episode of Friends where Ross gets weirded out by having a male nanny. "It's like if a woman wanted to be..."

To bottom line it, it's weird, the clip was a nice homage, but DBZ is still better.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sun May 11, 2014 4:27 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:

My little pony is for little girls and its not more mature then DBZ.
Last edited by JEFFMAN219 on Sun May 11, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun May 11, 2014 4:27 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:Do you think this could possibly be a sort of homage to DBZ? MLP has paid homage to things like Star Wars before, so I think that there's a chance that all of this DBZ-like stuff might have been a reference of some sort. Also, how do you think it stacks up compared to DBZ? Is it any better, worse, or on-par?
Actually I don't feel this was a real DBZ-homage. At least to me, I dont identify or recognize DBZ as nothing but huge power blasts and explosions constantly flying everywhere - to me its not a homage until they actually have fast fist-to-fist combat.
I'd actually compare this fight to more Madoka Magicka or Precure by the looks of it to me. Those shows are about ridiculously large power blasts, not DBZ. Youre just biasly exaggerating on this.
Last edited by SingleFringe&Sparks on Sun May 11, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Sun May 11, 2014 4:30 pm

ABED wrote:To bottom line it, it's weird, the clip was a nice homage, but DBZ is still better.
How? Because it doesn't have ponies in it? :eh:
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Sun May 11, 2014 4:31 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
superfunk wrote:Is MLP episodic or serialized? if episodic, I doubt it has better characters and a better story than DBZ.
@thatdbzguy, Is there any show that you think(will admit to) has worse writing than DBZ?
It's usually episodic, but sometimes it'll have two-parters if you want to count those a serialized. In either format though, the stories are usually far better written than DBZ's, although admittedly, that doesn't say much.
Come on man, I haven't watched MLP since I was... 12 I think, but the stories were never that well written, I mean come on there was a whole episode where they just have a sleep over!

The 2 parters weren't that great either, the first 2 eps were pathetically bad imo, season 2 opening was... alright? Wasn't really a great story and season 2 ending was the last time I ever watched the show, it was okay.

You're entitled to your own opinion but I can see a thread from you in two weeks time "Why Rugrats had better character development than DBZ"
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun May 11, 2014 4:32 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
ABED wrote:To bottom line it, it's weird, the clip was a nice homage, but DBZ is still better.
Ponies arent the default of everything. Its a little annoying seeing them compared to everything and treated as superior by comical default. This fight was entertaining but it wasnt in any way better, especially because you don't like DBZ. MLP is vastly overrated.
Last edited by SingleFringe&Sparks on Mon May 12, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 11, 2014 4:35 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
Why don't you call yourself ThatMyLittlePonyGuy? You clearly love that show more.

It's weird that you watch MLP, constantly criticize DBZ on a DBZ forum, and yet you claim to haven't watched any incarnation of Batman.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun May 11, 2014 4:42 pm