I was officially done with the Super anime after one scene.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: I was officially done with the Super anime after one sce

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:09 pm

ekrolo2 wrote: But Super is just obnoxiously doing its best to be as mediocre as humanly possible when it really doesn't need to be concerning everything outside the slice of life stuff.
That seems like bullshit to me. Super is mixing DB comedy with DBZ action. There's nothing wrong wih that.

Also:
-The pacing is good and much better than DBZ ever was.
- Aside from some parts of episode 5, the animation is not the shit people make it out to be.

Some people are butthurt that started with retellings, but nobody is forcing them to watch everything. Bitching about Goku's girly japanese voice became old, so they must find another things to complain. Those people don't even seem to be seeing Super for entertainment anymore, they are just looking for the next shot to complain.

Reminds me of ROF reception in the beginning.
People that didn't like the plot, wanted the movie to flop. That's stupid. :roll:

Fans don't want the series they like to flop, despite if they like the content or not.
If something flops, the chances of getting another product becomes smaller. Instead, if you just support it and speak louder about what needs to be fixed, your wishes may come true.

Example: ROF having much more action than BOG.
Zephyr wrote: When people have over a decade to build up expectations, they tend to be so specific, particular, and unrealistic that it's unlikely that they're going to have those expectations met. Duke Nukem Forever is another good example.

You just described Final Fantasy 15/Kingdom Hearts 3 future.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Tsufuru
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tsufuru » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:31 am

ok , this is cleary gettin out of control.

dropping super cuz goku had a funny moment?
stop complaining about everything.

you know what just drop it no1 needs some1 who complains about such things.

Dbzbabe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dbzbabe » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:41 am

You kept watching after this didn't you lol
Last edited by Dbzbabe on Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tackle life with as much energy as Goku! I'll try to do the same! - Akira Toriyama

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:41 am

needing to pee badly will make people go to extreme lengths.

Bit stupid not watching super cos of that one harmless scene.

Dont get why people complain so much about every little thing in super.

DBZ was full of flaws,boring jokes,bad animation so ye.best not to put dbz a pedestal,since it was faaar from perfect same as super.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:36 am

buutenks wrote:
DBZ was full of flaws,boring jokes,bad animation so ye.best not to put dbz a pedestal,since it was faaar from perfect same as super.
But unlike Super the major battles were always worth the wait especially the final ones which is something I can't say for Super as of now.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:48 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: But Super is just obnoxiously doing its best to be as mediocre as humanly possible when it really doesn't need to be concerning everything outside the slice of life stuff.
That seems like bullshit to me. Super is mixing DB comedy with DBZ action. There's nothing wrong wih that.

Also:
-The pacing is good and much better than DBZ ever was.
- Aside from some parts of episode 5, the animation is not the shit people make it out to be.

Some people are butthurt that started with retellings, but nobody is forcing them to watch everything. Bitching about Goku's girly japanese voice became old, so they must find another things to complain. Those people don't even seem to be seeing Super for entertainment anymore, they are just looking for the next shot to complain.

Reminds me of ROF reception in the beginning.
People that didn't like the plot, wanted the movie to flop. That's stupid. :roll:

Fans don't want the series they like to flop, despite if they like the content or not.
If something flops, the chances of getting another product becomes smaller. Instead, if you just support it and speak louder about what needs to be fixed, your wishes may come true.

Example: ROF having much more action than BOG.
I
None of the problems you listed are the reasons why I find the show mediocre. The animation quality is jerky and wonky to be sure but its not my primary issue, its the new art style: it blows. Everyone looks too shiny and blocky and completely roided out to the point of absurdity. At least the old way of animating things managed to make the Boo era art look appealing, now its fucking hideous.

The pacing might be good for Z standards but in comparison to BoG its awful. Even BoGs directors cut was dragging its feet because its not a story that warrants much time devoted to it, now if the re-tellings weren't going in with the mentality of "Lets drag this shit out as much as humanly possible" with BoG while managing to cut good stuff out, I wouldn't care. Toei did a fine job re-telling the first few DB sagas with Mystical Adventure and Path to Power so I know they can do that stuff well, Super isn't like those, not at all.

Super only works with the slice of life episodes and comedy, everything else ranges from mediocre to garbage.

Then with F they've managed to take a hollow, pointless movie that had genuine potential and they've done nothing to improve on it and now the animation & fighting choreography, which were Fs sole saving graces, are gonna suck now too.

Once again, asking for the new content to also at the very least be good isn't asking too much. If it is well then, let the series stay dead as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather not see any new story material then have most of the new material suck.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

djcoopdawg
Beyond Newbie

Post by djcoopdawg » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:15 pm

If people have a problem on how Goku is being portrayed, you should read the manga. Goku is behaving a lot more like how he does in the manga compared to the anime for DBZ.

Blackstripe
Regular

Post by Blackstripe » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:56 pm

sintzu wrote:But unlike Super the major battles were always worth the wait especially the final ones which is something I can't say for Super as of now.
Only because you've seen them before in the movies.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:09 pm

Blackstripe wrote:
sintzu wrote:But unlike Super the major battles were always worth the wait especially the final ones which is something I can't say for Super as of now.
Only because you've seen them before in the movies.
Yeah, what "major battles", exactly? Only one so far was Goku vs Beerus, and i found it better than the movie version, like many others.
Tsufuru wrote:ok , this is cleary gettin out of control.

dropping super cuz goku had a funny moment?
stop complaining about everything.

you know what just drop it no1 needs some1 who complains about such things.
Well, if it actually makes him drop the series and we don't have threads like this one anymore, that's great.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:24 pm

wrong and dumb.
Last edited by Soppa Saia People on Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Tsufuru
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tsufuru » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:44 pm

super actualy is gettin better.

and what major battles lmao , its been only one real fight.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:54 pm

soppa saia people wrote:
djcoopdawg wrote:If people have a problem on how Goku is being portrayed, you should read the manga. Goku is behaving a lot more like how he does in the manga compared to the anime for DBZ.
I think you're talking about the dub. Because Goku in the JP version is pretty close to his manga counterpart.
Not quite, the anime plays up his childishness quite a bit in some filler.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:02 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
soppa saia people wrote:
djcoopdawg wrote:If people have a problem on how Goku is being portrayed, you should read the manga. Goku is behaving a lot more like how he does in the manga compared to the anime for DBZ.
I think you're talking about the dub. Because Goku in the JP version is pretty close to his manga counterpart.
Not quite, the anime plays up his childishness quite a bit in some filler.
Oops :oops: I assumed that he/she was talking about how in Z he acted was way off compared to the manga.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:11 pm

Gokû has seemed cuter in Super (which is one of those things I can't personality complain about because "cute Gokû moments" are a guilty pleasure for me), but I haven't seen Z in a while so I could be mistaken as to differences between Z's Gokû and Super's Gokû.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Vynak
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vynak » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:23 am

Goku had always been like this but this particular scene isn't even that bad, he's basically peeing off a platform on some weird massive tree. Whis didn't even seem to care and presumably the only reason Vegeta cared is because he'd probably have to clean it up during his chores.

As far as 'Maid Vegeta' goes, it's nice to see Vegeta in some comedic light as long as it's not overdone (it has run a fine line though). There wasnt really an opportunity to use him like this until the Buu saga and really, who doesn't want to see him squirm in awkward situations. :lol:

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:21 am

I gotta say, sometimes things like this make me wish that Toei did some of the characters of Super instead of Toriyama to be honest. Sure, the Toei Goku ain't good too, but at least that version had a little more common sense and maturity.
Dbzbabe wrote:You kept watching after this didn't you lol
A freaking kid did that!
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:16 pm

EXBadguy wrote:I gotta say, sometimes things like this make me wish that Toei did some of the characters of Super instead of Toriyama to be honest. Sure, the Toei Goku ain't good too, but at least that version had a little more common sense and maturity.
This is Toei Goku, Toriyama isn't writing every single episode or every single scene.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:42 pm

I second that this is Toei!Gokû. It's a different writer at Toei than whoever was writing him for them in Z, but I still think it's Toei. Toriyama!Gokû isn't this sweet (but I've been enjoying the sweet so I can't complain.) ^^;
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:36 pm

Fuck it, OLD Toei Goku, then.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

BluePiccolo
Beyond Newbie

Post by BluePiccolo » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:37 pm

Just adding my 2 cents

It wasn't the pee scene alone that made that episode awkward.
In my opinion it was the tip of the iceberg after a dozen of scenes with Goku being impatient and irritating the entire episode.
It's like literally looking at original Dragon Ball Goku and pretending it's OK to act the same way 300 episodes and 30 years later.

I wouldn't really bring this up on my own, I just figured I should share my opinion since why not.

Osu
\o/ Check out my Unboxing videos of high quality DBZ related stuff from Japan. \o/