Kai Episode 1 (05 April 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:40 pm

Wasted Wisher, if you're legally allowed to do so, I'd be interested in an uncropped shot too. :)

And ditto to everyone about the eyebrow/lash stuff.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Patient-mental
Beyond Newbie

Post by Patient-mental » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:43 pm

Wasted Wisher wrote: Yeah, I guess the double-lines on some of the eyes came out a little thick. I'll try to watch out for that from now on.
Your damn right!
But on a serious level, outfuckingstanding job on it, if the double line wasn't there people would be bowing down at your feet on a flawless job, smooth, very very pretty, but way too short. I'm hoping to see more scenes from you with more duration.

Do you get the original film / the previous and next scene footage to compare, contrast and construct to provide a seamless transition in and out of the scenes with as much transparency as possible?

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:50 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:52 pm

Wasted Wisher wrote:By the way, what do you guys think of the scenes that I re-drew? (That would be the one with young Goku swinging through the trees, and the one with Piccolo spewing blood from his mouth.) Did they come out all right?
They were great except the thick eye-lines on Goku for a microsecond. But I don't have to reiterate it since you already know that :roll:

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:03 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:I'm assuming then that there have been some changes in sensibilities with regards to Japanese television since the late 80's?
The censorship on Japanese TV has dramatically changed through the past 20 years.
No Pakapaka (blinking of the screen), no wee-wee, no pooled-blood, no violent dialogue...

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:07 pm

kei17 wrote:
Kunzait_83 wrote:I'm assuming then that there have been some changes in sensibilities with regards to Japanese television since the late 80's?
The censorship on Japanese TV has dramatically changed through the past 20 years.
No Pakapaka (blinking of the screen), no wee-wee, no pooled-blood, no violent dialogue...
But in case of moe-demographics they have aboslutly no problem airing ridiculous nudity? Recent Queen's Blade?

Wasted Wisher
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Wasted Wisher » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:27 pm

kei17 and bkev>
Not sure if I can, but I'll look into it.

But yeah, when the work was handed over to us and even after they were finished being re-drawn the scenes were not cropped yet. They were probably re-positioned in post-production editing, which takes place in the mother studio in japan.

Patient-mental>
Yeah, we get video scans of the original episodes. The original video clips are frame-by-frame converted into a format that can be opened in Stylos (Targa, I guess).After they've been broken down and correctly timed on the x-sheet, we actually trace over select drawings from the footage that were chosen as the key drawings for that scene.

Kunzait_83>
Nope, we receive no word as to why exactly they made these changes, just that we should stick to them.
Last edited by Wasted Wisher on Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:29 pm

How many episodes have you guys worked on?

Wasted Wisher
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Wasted Wisher » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:35 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:How many episodes have you guys worked on?
We've done scenes from up to episode 6 already. But work on these shows doesn't necessarily happen in order. We could be working on different scenes for different episodes of the same show at once, depending which scenes have higher priority.

And that's for just the one show. We also have Negibouzu Asatarou, Fresh Precure, Marie & Gali and OnePiece to consider. And the occasional movie and/or pay-per-view cable mini-series.
Last edited by Wasted Wisher on Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patient-mental
Beyond Newbie

Post by Patient-mental » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:36 pm

other then that its almost a flawless transition
good to hear from you!

most unnoticeable of the scene

This just looks pretty (in a weird way) and clean

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:47 pm

Those lines aren't actually much thicker than the rest of his face was dne in that close shot of his face actually. *peers in* It's just a matter of drawing with line variation, it tends to make images more interesting actually. See how the bottom of Pic's chin is thicker that up the sides of the jaw? It's just picked out in the Son shot as strange because the other animators drew differently.

And I love the still frame with all of Pic's lovely teeth :D He's beaten to shit, but his teeth are still perfect.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Wasted Wisher
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Wasted Wisher » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:54 pm

Patient-mental>
Ooh, here's a little something. That scene with Little Goku swinging through the trees? In the original footage the scene was smaller in framesize, so there would be parts of Goku that would go off-frame (like his hands, or the top of his head) so I had to fill those in (based on previous frames in the same scene, of course).

Also, the registration line on the original footage was off as well. In the old footage, a bit of his tail would show up in front of the tree branch when it was supposed to be behind. Had to fix that as well.

Would be easier to explain if I had the original footage with me right now for comparison. Alas, it is Holy Week in my country right now, and there's no work until Monday...

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:30 pm

Wasted Wisher wrote:However, there is apparently a little blood censorship going on. You'll notice this when episode 3 comes out, I'm sure. But if you can't wait, here's the deal: there's a scene where Raditz is lying face down on the ground, speaking his last words.
That sucks and all, but wow, Raditz will be dead by episode 3? That's even faster than I thought.
Kunzait_83 wrote:I haven't seen any flaming, any internet martyrdom, nor any nerd rage or flailing about melodramatically about this or that, at least not remotely to the same degree that I guarantee you you will see on other sites. Nothing that in any way warrants some of the "I can't BELIEVE what I'm seeing here!" reactions that some people are expressing towards their being a mixed/disappointed reaction towards Kai.
One of several reasons why I think TV Tropes.com is a tool of the devil. It trains people to see all situations in terms of a list of cliches, rather than actually analyzing them.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:59 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Thanks a lot for the inside-word, WW. Do you guys get scripts to work with? I don't suppose you can tell us what happens in the episodes you've worked on?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:00 pm

TV Tropes is pseudo-serious, though. ED is just trying to get reactions/piss people off/make you laugh.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:14 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Herms wrote:...cliches...
...Encyclopedia Dramatica...
I've come to learn that in the situations that parody clichés are used to explain something, many times the person using them sees a humorous side to the situation and they're explaining it almost as if they're joking about it. In such a case they have truly analyzed it and that's how they choose the proper cliché. In short, treat jokes as jokes instead of attacks and you just might have some fun. :D
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:17 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:Couldn't agree more, and I feel much the same way about Encyclopedia Dramatica as well.
Uh...Encyclopedia Dramatica was never meant to be taken seriously.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:34 pm

Fuck censorship.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:43 pm

Interesting note.

I went through volume 17 of the manga again. We actually only see ONE panel of the blood on the floor. And that's before Piccolo begins walking up to Raditz. After that, all the panels of Raditz on the floor don't show any blood pooling.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]