Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:57 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:05 pm New information about the movie will be released at Comic Con, July 23rd

https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/special/sdcc2021/
Nice, now we have even more material to chase our tails over
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:32 am

PremiumSalt wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:25 pm I'm predicting a title reveal, and the title will have the villains name in it like DBS Broly. It will almost certainly be an already existing character, imo.
I agree, maybe a poster as well.
We need something to discuss on :mrgreen:

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:07 am

I’m expecting a teaser trailer and a teaser visual. I don’t think we’ll get the title and main visual just yet, it feels a little too early for that.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:18 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:07 am I’m expecting a teaser trailer and a teaser visual. I don’t think we’ll get the title and main visual just yet, it feels a little too early for that.
Imagine if Ryusei Nakao's voice appears at the end of teaser (in black screen) and people will be left wondering whether it's Frieza or Cooler :P

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:54 am

In before Raditz redemption arc.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:12 pm

Chances for it being Beerus vs Goku round 2?

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:58 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:12 pm Chances for it being Beerus vs Goku round 2?
I honestly hope not, at least not yet. I want something new and fresh. The other day in the Destructo Discord I made a raw prediction. I said the main villain would be Janemba who is way stronger. Broly has been training with Goku/Vegeta and teams up to fight them.

That's just an out of my ass prediction. Someone said with the new visuals they are experimenting with would be great for Janemba due to his abilities and attacks.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:11 pm

Honestly, it says a bit about the current state of Dragon Ball that the first thing people do upon hearing about upcoming movie news is to start to speculate about what previously non-canon villain they're going to bring in. Nobody's expecting to see anything actually original. Nothing weird there... :P
I don't really think we're going to get all that much info this time, despite what the article says (which just feels like classic hypebait). Maybe just a teaser and some generic talk and perhaps one small "reveal".
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:19 pm

I really hope we're done with revisiting old villains... can't DB produce new, fresh ideas?

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:55 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:19 pm I really hope we're done with revisiting old villains... can't DB produce new, fresh ideas?
I think the movie will feature a new villain, perhaps featuring a returning side-character. Patterns aren't really indicative of much, but the series has followed a pattern alternating between "arc that builds on the new expanded lore and multiverse" and "arc that scales back down reintroducing an old character its central protagonist." BoG was a new fresh take on the universe, followed by F which brought back Freeza. U6 arc built on the concepts introduced in BoG by introducing a new universe and Zeno, but the Black arc revisited U7 with the reintroduction of future Trunks. The Universe Survival arc was on paper the largest scale arc so far with all but 4 of the known universes engaging in a battle royale (it reintroduced #17, but he was limited to side-appearances), but then Broly reintroduces an old character once again scaling the action down to U7.

The manga has disrupted this pattern a lot by continuing with two original arcs set in universe 7, but it seems those arcs had a heavier Toyotarou influence. So if I were a betting man, I'd wager the new movie will feature an original villain character, taking place outside of universe 7 and featuring a supporting character from the original series who will be instrumental to Goku & co's victory but who will not overshadow Goku's protagonism.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:48 am

I just noticed that Nappa's one of the exclusive figures for comic con. Could he be the slightly unexpected character to return?! (BTW, this is a wild guess out of nowhere else than these figures, it'd be strange for a new Nappa figure to be showing now, though).

https://www.db-z.com/comicconhome-2021- ... xclusives/

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:39 pm

I'm not expecting anything to be revealed at comicon. They'll probably answer questions about Dragon Ball in general, say they gave their best effort making the movie, it will be very exciting, and to look forward to it.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:15 pm

sangofe wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:48 am I just noticed that Nappa's one of the exclusive figures for comic con. Could he be the slightly unexpected character to return?! (BTW, this is a wild guess out of nowhere else than these figures, it'd be strange for a new Nappa figure to be showing now, though).

https://www.db-z.com/comicconhome-2021- ... xclusives/
Aw yeah, Resurrection N, baby

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:09 am

I would legitimately love it if the film was just Gokuu, Vegeta, Nappa and Raditz talking for forty minutes and then fighting for another fifty.
She/Her

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:04 am

Ah yes Ressurection of Nappa, will go about as well as his cameo appearance in fucking GT.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:56 am

Maybe this is going to be a film where Vegeta is the protagonist? Toriyama did say a few years ago that he wanted to write a movie where Vegeta is the main character (reference). If it is, I hope it's the Planet Sadala story that the anime teased a couple of times. It could also tie into Super: Broly's ending somehow. Vegeta also fits the "slightly unexpected" description that Toriyama gave a couple months back.

Just imagine... Dragon Ball Super: Vegeta. :lol:

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:33 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:56 am Maybe this is going to be a film where Vegeta is the protagonist? Toriyama did say a few years ago that he wanted to write a movie where Vegeta is the main character (reference). If it is, I hope it's the Planet Sadala story that the anime teased a couple of times. It could also tie into Super: Broly's ending somehow. Vegeta also fits the "slightly unexpected" description that Toriyama gave a couple months back.

Could be, but Toriyama says a lot of things that never make it into the series. S-Cells, Yamoshi, Krillin breathing out of his pores... At this point, Vegeta going to Sadala would be unexpected, but better late than never.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:37 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:56 am Maybe this is going to be a film where Vegeta is the protagonist? Toriyama did say a few years ago that he wanted to write a movie where Vegeta is the main character (reference). If it is, I hope it's the Planet Sadala story that the anime teased a couple of times. It could also tie into Super: Broly's ending somehow. Vegeta also fits the "slightly unexpected" description that Toriyama gave a couple months back.

Honestly, at this point, I don't think we'll ever see this idea come to fruition. When Toriyama expressed his desire to have Vegeta in the lead role (and he said it was nothing but intentions and that he hadn't decided anything yet), Resurrection F hadn't even been released. Since then we've had a lot of new arcs and a new movie and that didn't happen.

Unless by "main role" he meant the role Vegeta has started to play more often since RoF (being at the center of the conflicts alongside Goku), then this has actually been happening already. If he indeed meant the protagonist role, then I still believe it won't happen

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:53 pm

I can't wait for the 23rd! I recall Broly's trailer was shown at Comic Con in 2018 but this movie is scheduled for next year so maybe it's too early for a trailer. I doublechecked for BoG and it had some promotional images released in a July issue of Weekly Jump so we might get more revealed this month other than from Comic Con.

Separate question but has Toei announced what anime will replace the Digimon reboot? It's scheduled for 66 episodes so it'll end sometime in September. I thought they usually announce a new anime at least a few months before it airs but there are only two months left.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:00 pm

Skar wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:53 pm I can't wait for the 23rd! I recall Broly's trailer was shown at Comic Con in 2018 but this movie is scheduled for next year so maybe it's too early for a trailer. I doublechecked for BoG and it had some promotional images released in a July issue of Weekly Jump so we might get more revealed this month other than from Comic Con.

Separate question but has Toei announced what anime will replace the Digimon reboot? It's scheduled for 66 episodes so it'll end sometime in September. I thought they usually announce a new anime at least a few months before it airs but there are only two months left.
We're pretty sure that more Digimon will take the slot but we're noy quite sure what form yet. I have to wonder if Adventure 2020 will just continue on since high-quality BANK animation keeps being made.
She/Her