Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.
User avatar
jjgp1112
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7835
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Crooklyn

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Oct 05, 2026 1:06 pm

I've been curious, how did Toonami handle the end of the Invisible Man fight from the Baba Tournament? Because that required not one but TWO big no-nos for the edited dub :lol:
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

User avatar
ZeroNeonix
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
Posts: 1541
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:35 pm

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Oct 05, 2026 1:13 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2026 1:06 pm I've been curious, how did Toonami handle the end of the Invisible Man fight from the Baba Tournament? Because that required not one but TWO big no-nos for the edited dub :lol:
I remember there being surprisingly little censorship with Dragon Ball on Toonami.

User avatar
MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 7420
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Oct 05, 2026 1:20 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2026 1:06 pm I've been curious, how did Toonami handle the end of the Invisible Man fight from the Baba Tournament? Because that required not one but TWO big no-nos for the edited dub :lol:
They found a convoluted way to have him get sprayed with a can of tomato soup.

User avatar
MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 7420
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Oct 05, 2026 1:34 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2026 1:13 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2026 1:06 pm I've been curious, how did Toonami handle the end of the Invisible Man fight from the Baba Tournament? Because that required not one but TWO big no-nos for the edited dub :lol:
I remember there being surprisingly little censorship with Dragon Ball on Toonami.
Quite a bit actually. Here’s an old Toonzone thread from when the end of the King Piccolo saga first aired on Toonami

https://animesuperhero.com/forums/threa ... 6.3455531/


The big one is they censored Goku killing King Piccolo even though the Z dub showed the exact same scene uncut in flashbacks on Toonami

Per the person reporting the edits
Well, here it is, ladies and gentleman. They couldn't end this story arc without one huge, gigantic, unnecessary cut. And that would be, of course, Piccolo's death. You see, Goku didn't just "magically fly up and defeat Piccolo" like the edited version would have you believe. Goku went through Piccolo's chest. Yes. He ripped a huge freakin' hole in his chest and flew out the other end. Wait, what's that? You... knew that already? Wait, how did you know they cut this? Oh, yeah! Of course, how could I forget? THEY SHOWED THIS SCENE COMPLETELY UNCUT SEVERAL TIMES IN FLASHBACKS THROUGHOUT DRAGONBALL Z.

For the longest time I assumed the tame dialog in the uncut dub was too make it easier for the edited dub but no dialog people wouldn’t think twice about in the uncut dub was too edgy and needed even safer dialog. And from what I gathered unlike Z the og Dragon Ball dub had a no blood policy.

Post Reply