Kai Episode 1 (05 April 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:35 pm

I watched it live just for the experience, but I'll probably not watch it live next week. The lag was awful, and the audio/video was out of synch for a lot of it. Overall, I'm liking the pace and the colours look really nice.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:36 pm

I just watched it. It was pretty cool. Kind of like when a song you like gets a remix, its pretty neat.

Anyway... I would have loved to take screen caps of every single shot in the opening and ending but I was to busy watching it. :P So I bring you only these 4 shitty quality images from the ending theme...

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:36 pm

Now to wait patiently to magically divine *coughcoughnotepleasecough* when the ep ends up on youtube or something prettier to watch the first 20 minutes I missed while I was screwing around with these effing websites and my dad was throwing a bitchfit at me for coming home early....
Last edited by Velasa on Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Chrome
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Chrome » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:36 pm

Castor Troy wrote:I really enjoyed it, but there's no way in hell I'm ever gonna watch it streaming again. It was like watching a blocky slideshow most of the time.
A blocky slideshow of awesomeness... :lol:

I feel your pain, streaming can be pretty crappy sometimes. Were you using KeyHole?
In a nutshell: Likes the sub and the dub and barely ever posts.
You'll probably find me [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/chromegloss55]here[/url] more often...

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:37 pm

Velasa wrote:Now to wait patiently to magically divine *couchcouchnoteplease* when the ep ends up on youtube or something prettier to watch the first 20 minutes I missed while I was screwing around with these effing websites and my dad was throuing a bitchfit at me for coming home early....
You'll love it, Vely! I did~ :D
Conan the SSJ wrote:Episode 1 just finished on TVAnts, was AWESOME~! Didn't really mind the cropping, but then I didn't really mind it when FUNi did it either. It's very cool that Toei's at least focused on the framing. Absolutely loved the pacing and how the ep ended, plus, yay for the crab still falling? Loved the new animation in the ending credits and the commercials after the episode finished were hysterical~
14 years later

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:39 pm

After I watch the new One Piece episode, I'm going to upload a review of Dragon Ball Kai Episode 1 on my channel.

Krakabeast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Krakabeast » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:40 pm

If anyone can get files for the opening/ending songs say something. DBK is so finger-lickin good.

EDIT: By the way, use TvAnts. Much better video/audio quality than KeyHoleTV. I'm sure Hujio agrees.
Last edited by Krakabeast on Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gohan: At least he doesn't have his sword out anymore.
Kuririn: Yeah, and your dad put his finger away too.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:41 pm

The Opening was great, it sounded very reminiscent of Dan Dan and I also enjoyed the Closing. Actually the closing animated kind of reminded me of Sabitsuita Machine Gun De Ima Wo Uchinuko with the whole walking thing.

As for the BGM, I really liked it. The Piccolo/Raditz scene completely threw me off because of the more rock esque feel to that piece. But once I got settled in I liked it. It really does sound like a modern DragonBall Music feel. Amped up somewhat but not too much.

But while watching the Episode, I'm getting the feeling that Kai may only cover up through Freeza. Given the references to SSJ and Freeza in the OP's and ED's. Plus the fact that the first scene featuring Bardock was set up. It's obvious they're foreshadowing. So I wonder if this will cover ALL of the Z-Era. Maybe it'll depend on the ratings, who knows?
Last edited by Gozar on Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:41 pm

ShinRogafuken wrote:After I watch the new One Piece episode, I'm going to upload a review of Dragon Ball Kai Episode 1 on my channel.
Sweet, link it up.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:42 pm

That was pretty cool much better than I was thinking it was going to be.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:42 pm

Forgotten Hero wrote:
ShinRogafuken wrote:After I watch the new One Piece episode, I'm going to upload a review of Dragon Ball Kai Episode 1 on my channel.
Sweet, link it up.
I have to record it first lol.

Kaiser Gogeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaiser Gogeta » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:43 pm

Both the opening and ending were awesome, the colors were crisper, especially on Piccolo, and the BGM was great.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:43 pm

They might change ending song after the Freeza saga is what I think, if the ssj animation is any indication.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:43 pm

I like how Lunch is in the new ending. I don't like how she is drawn, though. That face... It doesn't look like Lunch.

And Chaozu wants to hug you!
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:44 pm

Last edited by kei17 on Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:45 pm

Man, it feels so weird watching new (well, old-new) Dragon Ball stuff... especially live. Kinda weird that Goku's wang was taken out, but it's not like we see much nakedness in the series anyway.

I agree that the new animation in the OP, ED and eyecatches really clashes with the episode footage, but I don't mind that much. I mean, hey, new animation's always welcome.

What really made the episode for me was the new music. As brought up in the chat, it was pretty epic in a Star Wars-ish style while not sounding too different from the original.

... and yes, Kuririn Luffy punching was awesome.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:45 pm

sangofe wrote:They might change ending song after the Freeza saga is what I think, if the ssj animation is any indication.
Yeah I think so too.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:46 pm

More manga/Kai comparisions:

Just about everything after the Barduck scenes, original DB recap, and Gohan wandering around and getting into trouble bits were straight from the manga. Dialogue was generally word for word the same (which it generally was in the original anime too, during non-filler scenes). Some minor changes I noticed:

Piccolo originally says a tremendous power is coming towards him as Raditz closes in on him, which gets left out.

The anime adds in Bulma asking Gohan what he wants to be when he grows up, and he says "a great scholar", which surprises her. This is probably taken from the title page of chapter 197, which has a picture of Gohan with a little self-intro he's written, where he says he wants to be a great scholar when he grows up, in pretty much exactly the same words as in the anime.

As Raditz aproaches and Goku says something is coming, in the manga Bulma wonders if it's Yamcha, which gets left out. Also, in the anime Kame-sennin wonders what this homicidal intent he's sensing is.

In the manga, when Kuririn gets tail-slapped, Goku only scream "Kuri--!!", while in the anime he says the whole name.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Daijuken
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Daijuken » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:46 pm

kei17 wrote:I uploaded the opening
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RUFy9K5_t0
Thanks! Really good quality. :D

mysteriousdbzgt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mysteriousdbzgt » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:46 pm

Wow, that's awesome Kei17.
Just another Dragon Ball fangirl in the world.

DB & Tiger and Bunny are my main fandoms, along with many other animes.

Deviantart Profile/ Tiger & Bunnyftw tumblr/ mysteriousdbzgt tumblr / My Anime List Profile