Are you tired of the same story in every DBZ game?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Are you tired of the same story in every DBZ game?

Post by Darknat » Thu May 22, 2014 2:27 pm

chaospunishment wrote:
Finally the rest frames after ultimates are way too long. I know that's because you are supposed to use cancels, but still it's way too long.
If they can be spammed (to you) then say this? If you use ultimate and the opponent dodges, what's the point in them dodging if there's no punishment? That's like saying you want to be able to use Supers over and over with no cooldown time and not give the opponent any chance to fight back.
I'm all for it having a cooldown and being punishable, I just think it's way too much time the characters just look ridiculous. What I meant with being spammable was that you can throw 2 ultimates one after another, recharge ki and trhow 2 more. I prefered the blast stokcs in Sparking that prevented this from happening, also you could only throw 1 Ultimate in Sparking.

About Story modes, I would like something like what was done with Idanaru Goku Densetsu for the PC-Engine. It had nice cutscenes and then the fights. It covered everything from Tao Pai Pai to Cell and for the most part they explained what happens instead of just fights without any explanation.

I wouldn't mind something like that in a Sparking/Raging Blast kind of game. Budokai also comes close with it's cutscenes. What I don't like are big boxes with just text. If you are using a medium like a videogame, use it to it's full potential.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri May 23, 2014 9:49 am

As long as there are a big number of real, impressive cutscenes that makes you feel "wow!", they can put the original story or what-ifs or a whole new story for all I care.
But do as many cutscenes as you can, as unique and well-done than in the first Budokai, to tell a real and complete story: not a story with text to summurize what you don't see, not characters standing where they are with a few lines thrown as a dialogue, not copy-paste battle animations pretending to be a cutscene, etc...

If you do it as careful and as complete and as "cutsceny" as the first Budokai, or Mortal Kombat, or Injustice: Gods Among Us, I'm up for any story, classic or new... as long as the story is solid enough, cause I'm not convinced by the logic of Another Road or Ultimate's Tenkaichi's Hero Mode.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun May 25, 2014 4:11 pm

I'm not tried of the story.
I'm tired of the sloppy presentation of it, its bad enough Spike never places the fights on the right stages and never will, its bad enough their animations are so sloppy that the narrative told looks out of synch and jarring as hell... its just the set up of it entirely that always just sucks that makes it frustrating for most fans and non-fans. The sloppy presentation is actually more so if not usually the fault of the game developers making the mode itself boring as absolute hell. Its never interactive, engaging or creative - and I think thats what people mean when they want something new - they want a story true to the pacing and narrative but don't want to play the same boring arcade style that just feels like a laborous chore to get through, there isnt enoough freedom with how you can complete them. Though the developers only see it as, either make the story super long to keep people busy or take it out when they cant think of anything better. Though I blame the fanbase for always going back and forth with how they want it presented and demanding superficial things to be the priority like long badly animated cutscenes or run-on dialogue sessions. No, or when they do something new, the fans complain and complain that its not what they're used to - the same thing they were always said sucked.

I don't want an overly gimmicky storymode like BoZ's was. I want what we had in BT2 where we at least gave us the freedom of having teammates selectable, optional, unconventional, and free for fun. It wasnt as restrictive as the storymodes now, where you cant even blow up the planet in it anymore.

The storymode needs to be more of an RPG, where we are given an actual reason to go through all these monotinous fights over and over whether it be for leveling up or creative new teammate combinations.(and NOT 4v4 fights, that was a terrible idea - too chaotic and spam friendly) The only real fun in a storymode is how much freedom it has in the various ways to complete it, to let us play it how we want it so it wont be the same crap over and over again. The thing with BT2 is that no fights were ever the same when you went through it, you could play as almost anyone you wanted regardless of when they appeared in the story which is what made it fun as B2 was.

My ideal storymode is simple, BT2 with Characer creation and Dragonball Heroes content.
Basically I'm slightly tired of the old storying being the only thing we get to do, as done to death it is. I want to see DBHeroes content, characters and what-if forms added to the games for us to play around with, at least for character creation and created characters should be avilable as allies in the main storymode.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Mon May 26, 2014 3:17 am

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote: My ideal storymode is simple, BT2 with Characer creation and Dragonball Heroes content.
Basically I'm slightly tired of the old storying being the only thing we get to do, as done to death it is. I want to see DBHeroes content, characters and what-if forms added to the games for us to play around with, at least for character creation and created characters should be avilable as allies in the main storymode.
I would prefer a combination of BT2 and BT3 storymodes. I liked how with the R3 button you could decide which path to take in the story, and that depending on your actions characters reacted diferent. It needs to be expanded, and the different paths should be taken into consideration for different what ifs, but I think that would be better than just plain BT2 storymode. Also get rid of the narrator spoilers at the start of each saga. That's one of the things I hated most in BT2. It's not like I didn't knew what's coming, but if I'm going to play it in a matter of seconds, I don't need someone to tell me what's going to happen.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Wed May 28, 2014 5:00 pm

Darknat wrote:I would prefer a combination of BT2 and BT3 storymodes. I liked how with the R3 button you could decide which path to take in the story, and that depending on your actions characters reacted diferent. It needs to be expanded, and the different paths should be taken into consideration for different what ifs, but I think that would be better than just plain BT2 storymode.
I agree with that, I actually liked the option of finishing fights how you wanted to, or some of the fights let you continue when you die. The unpredictablity of the fights made them so much more interesting for replay value, where you could test and see what would branch out: what actions would lead where. I didnt like the storymodes where you were locked into specific scenarios that require you to fight a certain way.
Darknat wrote:Also get rid of the narrator spoilers at the start of each saga. That's one of the things I hated most in BT2. It's not like I didn't knew what's coming, but if I'm going to play it in a matter of seconds, I don't need someone to tell me what's going to happen.
It was still better than UT's summaries that lasted forever and were unskippable.. but they only add that because people keep asking for it.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.