Survey: Favorite Opening

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Re: Survey: Favorite Opening

Post by Rocketman » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:40 am

Dan Dan is a terrible song and shameful for all who claim that it is good.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:02 pm

Rocketman wrote:Dan Dan is a terrible song and shameful for all who claim that it is good.
If there's one thing good about GT... it's the theme song.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:14 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:
Rocketman wrote:Dan Dan is a terrible song and shameful for all who claim that it is good.
"i like a girl but instead of telling her i will stay quiet and cry that she dates other guys and hope she'll eventually notice me"

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:28 pm

Dragon Soul, The original Dragonball opening, and Cha La Head Cha La!

lolman196

Post by lolman196 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:51 pm

Rocketman wrote:
DarkPrince_92 wrote:
"i like a girl but instead of telling her i will stay quiet and cry that she dates other guys and hope she'll eventually notice me"
Umm...what exactly about the song gives you that vibe? As far as I know, that doesn't seem like what lyrics are trying to convey.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:05 am

lolman196 wrote:
Rocketman wrote:"i like a girl but instead of telling her i will stay quiet and cry that she dates other guys and hope she'll eventually notice me"
Umm...what exactly about the song gives you that vibe? As far as I know, that doesn't seem like what lyrics are trying to convey.
"Even though I pretend I don’t care at all,
Look, I’m in love with you!
As for me...I’m tossed about by your casual behavior in the seaside blue.
But even so, are you lost on him?
I had something more that I wanted to ask, but
Our talk is interrupted by the sound of cars, and wafts into the street.

Bit by bit, you’re charming my heart,
And though it’s strange, even to me,
I want to call you right away and tell you there’s something there!
Even though I pretend I feel nothing at all,
In the end, I’ve only had eyes for you."

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:54 am

I fail to see how that alone makes it a terrible song when there's tons of other songs with similar themes. Making it a terrible song for use in Dragon Ball? Perhaps. But just as a song? Just doesn't compute.

And non fitting lyrics or no, I'd still take it a million times over 'a dinosaur balances on a ball'. :P

Edit: There's also the fact that, assuming FUNimation's subtitles for it are correct, the parts of the song that are actually used for the series' opening, don't automatically have to hold a romance angle. Without looking at the full lyrics and just going with what's here, I always got more of a feeling of it being about the charm of Goku, and wanting to reclaim a little bit of that childhood wonder, and the "romance" of the adventures Goku and gang goes on.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:49 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I fail to see how that alone makes it a terrible song when there's tons of other songs with similar themes. Making it a terrible song for use in Dragon Ball? Perhaps. But just as a song? Just doesn't compute.
Oh, no, it's just a bog-standard bad song on its own. I just think it's hilarious for people to hate on Step Into The Grand Tour so much for being bad and unfitting, then turn around and sing the praises of "why girl not talk to me".

lolman196

Post by lolman196 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:09 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:I fail to see how that alone makes it a terrible song when there's tons of other songs with similar themes. Making it a terrible song for use in Dragon Ball? Perhaps. But just as a song? Just doesn't compute.
Oh, no, it's just a bog-standard bad song on its own. I just think it's hilarious for people to hate on Step Into The Grand Tour so much for being bad and unfitting, then turn around and sing the praises of "why girl not talk to me".
Nobody in this argument was hating on the GT rap. In fact, I know the whole thing by heart. Also, I don't understand what you mean by "bog-standard bad song". Mind elaborating a bit?

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:06 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Why didn't FUNi use him for GT...or even the redub of ep. 1-67 for that matter?
Perhaps because it didn't exist yet? That craptastic redub music was made in 2005(?) by some random bumb off the street called Nathan Johnson. If anything they should of used the old Shuki Levy score from the original Ocean dub since it's actually good in a musical sense & fitting but oh well.
Dbzfan94 wrote:The entire English score of GT is just bad
In a musical sense yes it is pretty 'bad' music, but hey at least it actually fit the bleak futuristic feel of GT. Musically the poppy Japanese score is blatantly better but imo less fitting.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:36 pm

Kakacarrottop wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Why didn't FUNi use him for GT...or even the redub of ep. 1-67 for that matter?
Perhaps because it didn't exist yet? That craptastic redub music was made in 2005(?) by some random bumb off the street called Nathan Johnson. If anything they should of used the old Shuki Levy score from the original Ocean dub since it's actually good in a musical sense & fitting but oh well.
Pretty sure he was talking about the Faulconer score, which definitely did exist before GT and Z Episodes 1-67 redubbed. And Levy's score couldn't be used since it was synced to a heavily edited version of the series. Johnson's music, just like Faulconer's, is synced to the uncut footage.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:54 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:
Kakacarrottop wrote:
Pretty sure he was talking about the Faulconer score, which definitely did exist before GT and Z Episodes 1-67 redubbed. And Levy's score couldn't be used since it was synced to a heavily edited version of the series. Johnson's music, just like Faulconer's, is synced to the uncut footage.
But FUNi (and or Saban i'm not sure) actually physically own the music via master tapes or whatever. This is evidenced by the fact they actually released a CD containing Levy's work and presumably even synced it themselves (which would sort of explain why it was all over the place, as FUNi were just starting as a company back then)
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:18 pm

We Gotta Power!! is my favorite. Better animation than CHA-LA-HEAD-CHA-LA, more original than DAN DAN (no diss), and more fitting than Dragon Soul or Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go. It's just perfect for DBZ.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Sigh-Ya-Jin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sigh-Ya-Jin » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:54 am

Makafushigi hands down!
Head Cha La
Dragon Soul
Kuu Zen Zetsu Go
*Anata no bōru no Buruma o ushinatte shimatta!*
(You've lost your balls Bulma!)