If you had to choose one major character to die in Super...

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: If you had to choose one major character to die in Super

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:36 am

Ushabtis wrote:instead of killing Gohan, why not kill Videl and/or Chichi? I think it'd have the same affect and its two birds with one stone. and why not make Gohan Piccolo 2.0 with Pan and they train and stuff.
It would not. Especially not Chi-Chi... she's almost not a character anymore and people'd just be "Good, she ruined Gohan. I'm glad she's died".
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:59 pm

I was more meaning in the show it'd affect people, at least parts of the main cast. In terms of the dbz fans no one would care if she died. Heck I gave Super Buu a thumbs up when he turned her into an egg and squished her.

If we're talking killing off someone for the shock value of it, then Chichi would be a pointless one to choose. Personally I'd hate to see any character die just for the sheer shock value of it, no matter who it would be.
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:47 pm

It's hard to find anyone worthy of killing off.
If it's a major character, then it's a shame, because it prevents him from being part of the action and have opportunities to be in the spotlight.
If it's a minor character, then it's useless, because nobody will care among fans and it will be like "He's dead, huh? Oh well, whatever, let's keep going...".

So, having someone to die is really tricky since it's sort of a no-win situation.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:31 pm

Ushabtis wrote:I was more meaning in the show it'd affect people, at least parts of the main cast. In terms of the dbz fans no one would care if she died. Heck I gave Super Buu a thumbs up when he turned her into an egg and squished her.

If we're talking killing off someone for the shock value of it, then Chichi would be a pointless one to choose. Personally I'd hate to see any character die just for the sheer shock value of it, no matter who it would be.
...And that's why making Chi-Chi a full-fedge housewife was a big no-no (especially since Toriyama admitted he can only write one personality type for females). Unlike Videl it was not too late for her... she proved she can compete with the boys... except the heavyweights (Goku, Tenshithands, Kami, Piccolo) even if some deny it.

Maybe Super can make up for the lousy treatment Toriyama gave her.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:47 pm

Beerus-sama wrote:
Scott wrote:I can't believe some people think killing off Goku is a good idea. Without Goku, you have no Dragon Ball. It may well be called Dragon Ball, but the story is more about Goku's life, the Dragon Balls have just happened to play a central role in his life.
We had the namek Saga focusing on Gohan, Krillin and Vegeta
The Android Saga was with the Z-Warriors trying to stop them without Goku.
The first episodes of the Buu saga were about Gohan's school life without Goku.

I think we can have a story without him :thumbup:
But we all knew Goku would be back. If Goku wasn't ever going to come back then it just wouldn't be the same.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:07 pm

Scott wrote:
Beerus-sama wrote:
Scott wrote:I can't believe some people think killing off Goku is a good idea. Without Goku, you have no Dragon Ball. It may well be called Dragon Ball, but the story is more about Goku's life, the Dragon Balls have just happened to play a central role in his life.
We had the namek Saga focusing on Gohan, Krillin and Vegeta
The Android Saga was with the Z-Warriors trying to stop them without Goku.
The first episodes of the Buu saga were about Gohan's school life without Goku.

I think we can have a story without him :thumbup:
But we all knew Goku would be back. If Goku wasn't ever going to come back then it just wouldn't be the same.

Yeah, there's a big difference between temporarily unavailable to permanently dead. Not even GT killed him off. He went to "live on" with the Dragon Balls. I agree that the show shines when he's out of service but Toei would never kill him for good.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:05 pm

Trunks and Bulma both. I like Vegeta's rage fits.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:18 pm

Piccolo. His death in GT felt right.
I would like to Keep Krillin alive in this series, by the way.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:53 am

Ushabtis wrote:well you don't have to be a major character to die to advance plot.
That's true, but I believe the point being made was the thread is asking which "major character" (not simply "which character") one would choose to die, which is why I would choose Goku as it would force a bit more creative writing than the lazy formula of everybody getting tossed around like rag dolls only for Goku to swoop in and save the day.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:55 am

I'd also like to point out that Goku rarely actually delivered the final blow to any of his opponents post-Raditz. He got killed with Raditz, he did rock Nappa, but Krillin and Gohan defeated Vegeta, he rocked Recoome and Burter around, then Jeice got away, then he ultimately lost to Ginyu and got hospitalized for a good bit of time, failed to kill Frieza, which led to the earth being in danger, having Trunks save em, then he lost to 19, never met any of the other androids, lost to Cell, then died. Then he went "I may be on a losing streak, but I'm gonna act like I did everything and not do anything now", let Buu go free when he was a super saiyan 3, then had Vegeta help him try and beat Buu after that, then used the Earth's energy to beat Kid Buu.

This brings his Z tally to
3.5 wins, as I don't count the Spirit bomb as a full victory.
11 non-wins.
Goku might as well be a secondary character. Try a different creative approach, you guys. The whole "Let's kill Goku because the plot has him beat everybody" thing is not only getting stale, but it's kinda invalid.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:05 am

I don't think people really want Goku dead because he "kills everybody". One of the major themes of Dragon Ball is passing down the torch. Toriyama has tried to put that theme to good use ever since the Cell arc but it constantly fails since Goku keeps getting back into the spotlight. I, personally, don't want Goku to die early (though that'd make for good shock value like the Saiyan arc), or even mid-way through the series, I'd want him to die permanently at the end of the series to pass down the torch and to give a final goodbye to an excellent character.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:46 am

TheAldella wrote:Goku might as well be a secondary character. Try a different creative approach, you guys. The whole "Let's kill Goku because the plot has him beat everybody" thing is not only getting stale, but it's kinda invalid.
That's why people are thinking this, though. DBZ itself is an ensemble cast while everything since has been The Goku Show Featuring Goku, Goku, And Goku, With Special Guest Star Vegeta.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:16 pm

TheAldella wrote:I'd also like to point out that Goku rarely actually delivered the final blow to any of his opponents post-Raditz. He got killed with Raditz, he did rock Nappa, but Krillin and Gohan defeated Vegeta, he rocked Recoome and Burter around, then Jeice got away, then he ultimately lost to Ginyu and got hospitalized for a good bit of time, failed to kill Freeza, which led to the earth being in danger, having Trunks save em, then he lost to 19, never met any of the other androids, lost to Cell, then died. Then he went "I may be on a losing streak, but I'm gonna act like I did everything and not do anything now", let Buu go free when he was a super saiyan 3, then had Vegeta help him try and beat Buu after that, then used the Earth's energy to beat Kid Buu.

This brings his Z tally to
3.5 wins, as I don't count the Spirit bomb as a full victory.
11 non-wins.
Goku might as well be a secondary character. Try a different creative approach, you guys. The whole "Let's kill Goku because the plot has him beat everybody" thing is not only getting stale, but it's kinda invalid.
Most of his kills come from the movies I guess.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:26 pm

Rocketman wrote:That's why people are thinking this, though. DBZ itself is an ensemble cast while everything since has been The Goku Show Featuring Goku, Goku, And Goku, With Special Guest Star Vegeta.
But that's only been the case for Toei-written material. The movies and GT aren't apart of this argument. Even in Battle of Gods, Goku lost, and Vegeta got a rage boost. Then in RoF, Vegeta still got to beat on the baddies. But this time around, the whole crew got to play in the 100-man melee! I'm not seeing what the problem is if you stick to Toriyama works.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:01 pm

TheAldella wrote:Even in Battle of Gods, Goku lost
Becoming more powerful than anyone ever, being so special and cool that he absorbed the god power, and his excellent special coolness convincing the enemy to stop and suck him off over how cool and awesome and wow and ~ooooh~ he is is not "losing".

If Z was like the new shit, Cell would've halted the Games and joined up because fighting Goku was so orgasmic he never wants to lose the opportunity.
and Vegeta got a rage boost.
And Vegeta got SS4 and did it easier than Goku.
Then in RoF, Vegeta still got to beat on the baddies. But this time around, the whole crew got to play in the 100-man melee! I'm not seeing what the problem is if you stick to Toriyama works.
Same as GT. The lesser characters get to beat up on the mooks, then get one-shotted until Holy Godku can descend and show how it's done.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:06 pm

Rocketman wrote:Same as GT. The lesser characters get to beat up on the mooks, then get one-shotted until Holy Godku can descend and show how it's done.
GT had good music though.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:02 pm

Rocketman wrote:
If Z was like the new shit, Cell would've halted the Games and joined up because fighting Goku was so orgasmic he never wants to lose the opportunity.
If Z was like the new shit, Gohan would have lost his ability to go SSJ from that one week of no training too.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:20 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:If Z was like the new shit, Gohan would have lost his ability to go SSJ from that one week of no training too.
Low blow man...low blow
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:36 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
If Z was like the new shit, Gohan would have lost his ability to go SSJ from that one week of no training too.
Nah he'd go the way of Tails and forget how to do anything super human. He'd just be a bookworm and nothing more.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:32 am

Rocketman wrote:Becoming more powerful than anyone ever, being so special and cool that he absorbed the god power, and his excellent special coolness convincing the enemy to stop and suck him off over how cool and awesome and wow and ~ooooh~ he is is not "losing".
How is this different from what we saw in the whole manga? Goku has been the special prodigy that surpasses everyone and learns everything fast since the very beginning to the very end... Even when Gohan & Gotenks surpased him by far, only the amazing Goku could save the day.
Rocketman wrote:Same as GT. The lesser characters get to beat up on the mooks, then get one-shotted until Holy Godku can descend and show how it's done.
Most of the time, Goku loses his fights, and even when he wins, he needs help from others most of the time...
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.