Would you have watched if they were Black?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Re: Would you have watched if they were Black?

Post by PelicanDynasty » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:05 am

kinisking wrote: I could've sword India was counted as a South East country. Forgive my ignorance.
Generally India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal are just referred to as "South Asia" but if you break it down into East and West with no Central region I suppose you could consider it part of the East.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:28 am

Green countries are considered South Asia, while Red countries are considered South East Asia. Might be worth noting that Burma/Myanmar was briefly merged into India when the British owned them both though.
RandomGuy96 wrote:
Dragonball Black wrote: I do think its high time they add some characters of color into the show, and hopefully Super does this. So far the only one that I can think of is Uub. Anyway I thought I would share this here and see exactly what you guys think? And be honest. Thanks for your time guys!
I don't keep up with whatever lexicon this is. Are Chinese and Japanese people not "people of color" now? Most of the characters are supposed to look East Asian with a few that I assume are supposed to be white, though some are more blatant than others (e.g. Tao Paipai is Chinese as all hell, and Krillin's background suggests he's supposed to look Tibetan- though it doesn't necessarily mean that). Are South Asians "people of color" but East Asians aren't? Since when? Furthermore does this "people of color" label extend to South Asian people who look like East Asians, such as the Naga and Assamese?

On-topic, I don't see why child-me wouldn't. A lot of the shows I watched as a kid had black superheroes as protagonists, and I don't remember that being a problem.
Yeah even as a kid I've never really viewed the main characters as white. Since the early parts are based on Journey to the West, I can easily see characters like pre-Saiyan retcon Goku, Chichi, Yamcha, etc. being based on Chinese people. Then you got characters like Yajirobe, whose clearly based on Japanese samurai.

Although I can see Bulma and her family being based on Western people. She does come from a different place that appears to be more industrialized.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:18 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Goku, Vegeta, Chi-Chi, possibly Bulma, and the Saiyans in general I can see as black people. Not sure about the rest.

Definitely not Gohan, though. Not likely.
In my ideal version of BoG, there's a scene after the credits in which (Black) Pan is born. This will cause Gohan to team up with Zamasu, leading him to become the infamous Kylo Re Gohan Black.
What's that gotta do with this?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:37 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Goku, Vegeta, Chi-Chi, possibly Bulma, and the Saiyans in general I can see as black people. Not sure about the rest.

In my ideal version of BoG, there's a scene after the credits in which (Black) Pan is born. This will cause Gohan to team up with Zamasu, leading him to become the infamous Kylo Re Gohan Black.
Your original comment about Gohan is weird though. Of Chi Chi and Goku are black, then he'd be to. Also seems like you're stereotyping the hell out of black people. But I'll let you explain yourself before I jump to conclusions
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:58 am

kinisking wrote: Your original comment about Gohan is weird though. Of Chi Chi and Goku are black, then he'd be to. Also seems like you're stereotyping the hell out of black people. But I'll let you explain yourself before I jump to conclusions
Of course, Gohan would be black but in a story with a cast that's predominantly black I don't think his character represents anything black people can really relate to. His character was pretty much just the tag-a-long kid who's forced into his father's crazy fighting business.... oh wait!

Goku has his humble beginnings which he overcame through hard-work and determination. Chi-Chi has similar beginnings (except much more violent) and is pure waifu material who stays loyal to her hubby despite essentially being a bum but won't let him walk all over hwe at all.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:15 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
kinisking wrote: Your original comment about Gohan is weird though. Of Chi Chi and Goku are black, then he'd be to. Also seems like you're stereotyping the hell out of black people. But I'll let you explain yourself before I jump to conclusions
Of course, Gohan would be black but in a story with a cast that's predominantly black I don't think his character represents anything black people can really relate to. His character was pretty much just the tag-a-long kid who's forced into his father's crazy fighting business.... oh wait!

Goku has his humble beginnings which he overcame through hard-work and determination. Chi-Chi has similar beginnings (except much more violent) and is pure waifu material who stays loyal to her hubby despite essentially being a bum but won't let him walk all over hwe at all.
When you put it that way, it makes more sense.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:49 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:

Not much, it's just something fun that popped into my head once I read the comment.
Retired.