"DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback
- penguintruth
- Banned
- Posts: 4861
- Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm
Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback
Sometimes it feels like a different team of writers script the first half and last half of an episode.
The scripting for Freeza in this latest episode was awesome. And Ayres' performance was pretty good, too.
(On another note, has anyone ever noticed how that room in Freeza's ship has marks on the floor that make it appear similar to a basketball court? Is Freeza going to play some hoops with the Dragon Balls?)
The scripting for Freeza in this latest episode was awesome. And Ayres' performance was pretty good, too.
(On another note, has anyone ever noticed how that room in Freeza's ship has marks on the floor that make it appear similar to a basketball court? Is Freeza going to play some hoops with the Dragon Balls?)
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.
Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!
Can I get a Schemen?
Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback
FUNimation? Dub something 96% faithfully, with the other 4% being their own hooplah? Never.Metalwario64 wrote:Do they ever do this in any of their other dubs?
Everyone rocked the latest episode, especially Ayres and Jenkins(Elder). I found that censorship of the Namek getting killed to be sloppy, though.
Last edited by B on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki
Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback
Y'know, they DO list the writer in the credits. Just check out the Nicktoons website upload. 
6–4, 3–6, 6–1, 3–6, 6–3
Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback
I hear he's a real ball hog. All he does is sit in the corner and caress the ball.penguintruth wrote: (On another note, has anyone ever noticed how that room in Freeza's ship has marks on the floor that make it appear similar to a basketball court? Is Freeza going to play some hoops with the Dragon Balls?)
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Youtube | Art/Animation BlogInsertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
- Metalwario64
- Born 'n Bred Here
- Posts: 6332
- Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
- Location: Namek
Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback
Well, the only other dubs that were truly from them that I believe I've seen are One Piece, Yu Yu Hakusho, "Case Closed" and Full Metal Alchemist.B wrote:FUNimation? Dub something 96% faithfully, with the other 4% being their own hooplah? Never.Metalwario64 wrote:Do they ever do this in any of their other dubs?
Everyone rocked the latest episode, especially Ayres and Jenkins(Elder). I found that censorship of the Namek getting killed to be sloppy, though.
I'm aware of the changes made to Yu Yu Hakusho to try and "mature" it up a bit by adding in cussing and whatnot, and "Case Closed's" numerous changes at the request of the parent company, but I don't recall any spiced up dialogue in Full Metal Alchemist and One Piece. Granted I've only seen the first three One Piece sets, but I don't recall any "sweet's" or "totally wicked, dude's!" in either dubs. Although, I do seem to recall recently visiting the Arlong Park forums, and I believe there were a few people discussing how they changed a certain line in the dub on a recent set.
It's just that the "punched up" dialogue in the past two episodes has made me fear that they are trying to ease back into the Season Three levels of awfulness, which is the last thing I want, especially since the previous "Season Three" episodes are coming up soon...
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash
-
Coola Yagami
- Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
- Posts: 429
- Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:35 am
Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback
Yeah, Yamcha, Kaioh and Goku really hammed it up for some reason before the Freeza part. No idea why. It's especially bad for Goku cause he just doesn't talk that way. The whole 'I've been training so hard it's not even funny' or whatever, I can see the real Goku behind him scratching his head wondering what the phrase 'not even funny' means. As far as I know, Goku was never all that good with figures of speech and heavy slang.
But once the ep moved on to Zaabon, Freeza and Vegeta, the script went back into place. So weird. Did someone randomly decide to sneak some old fashioned Funiball Z goodness during the Goku scene for the hell of it?
But once the ep moved on to Zaabon, Freeza and Vegeta, the script went back into place. So weird. Did someone randomly decide to sneak some old fashioned Funiball Z goodness during the Goku scene for the hell of it?
Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback
Some of the dialogue was a little bothersome, but Zarbon, Grand Elder, and Freeza were especially excellent.
Trans rights, now!
- penguintruth
- Banned
- Posts: 4861
- Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm
Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback
I do.Metalwario64 wrote:I don't recall any spiced up dialogue in Full Metal Alchemist
Funimation's writers seem to like to think they're clever and witty, but they aren't. Most of the time, their punching up of scripts just results in facepalming.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.
Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!
Can I get a Schemen?
- Metalwario64
- Born 'n Bred Here
- Posts: 6332
- Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
- Location: Namek
Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback
Well, I haven't watched much in Japanese yet, so I admit that statement was a tad ignorant. But I don't remember anyone saying things like "dude", "wicked", and "totally sweet!". Granted it has been a couple of years since I've last watched it...penguintruth wrote:I do.Metalwario64 wrote:I don't recall any spiced up dialogue in Full Metal Alchemist
Funimation's writers seem to like to think they're clever and witty, but they aren't. Most of the time, their punching up of scripts just results in facepalming.
Well, if this stuff is indeed normal for FUNimation, then I guess that alleviates my fears of another "Season Three" dub in Kai...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash
- batistabus
- Patreon Supporter
- Posts: 2108
- Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:55 pm
- Location: DBS:SH
Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback
As inaccurate as Kaio's voice is, I feel like they're making the best of it. You're definitely not getting the same effect, but he makes me chuckle. I can deal with it.
-
Piccolo Daimaoh
- Born 'n Bred Here
- Posts: 5407
- Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback
Inaccurate to what? He's a blue catfish-like creature who likes to tell jokes and goof around. His dub voice suits both his personality and his appearance. Yes, it's nothing like his Japanese voice, but that doesn't mean it's wrong for the character.batistabus wrote:As inaccurate as Kaio's voice is, I feel like they're making the best of it. You're definitely not getting the same effect, but he makes me chuckle. I can deal with it.
- Kendamu
- Born 'n Bred Here
- Posts: 7000
- Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:31 am
- Location: The Martial Arts World
Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback
Inaccurate to the tone of his Japanese voice, you snarky ass.Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Inaccurate to what? He's a blue catfish-like creature who likes to tell jokes and goof around. His dub voice suits both his personality and his appearance. Yes, it's nothing like his Japanese voice, but that doesn't mean it's wrong for the character.batistabus wrote:As inaccurate as Kaio's voice is, I feel like they're making the best of it. You're definitely not getting the same effect, but he makes me chuckle. I can deal with it.
- batistabus
- Patreon Supporter
- Posts: 2108
- Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:55 pm
- Location: DBS:SH
Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback
Part of the charm of the character is he is this wise, old deity yet laughs at his own crappy jokes. I'm saying that FUNimation's version is unfaithful to that.Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Inaccurate to what? He's a blue catfish-like creature who likes to tell jokes and goof around. His dub voice suits both his personality and his appearance. Yes, it's nothing like his Japanese voice, but that doesn't mean it's wrong for the character.batistabus wrote:As inaccurate as Kaio's voice is, I feel like they're making the best of it. You're definitely not getting the same effect, but he makes me chuckle. I can deal with it.
That aside, I really like the portrayal because I find it quite funny.
-
Piccolo Daimaoh
- Born 'n Bred Here
- Posts: 5407
- Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback
But not to the tone of the actual character and his personality. Dub voices don't have to sound like their Japanese counterparts, you know.Kendamu wrote: Inaccurate to the tone of his Japanese voice, you snarky ass.
Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback
Yup, you can't take him seriously at all with that Cartman/Droopy voice.batistabus wrote: Part of the charm of the character is he is this wise, old deity yet laughs at his own crappy jokes. I'm saying that FUNimation's version is unfaithful to that.
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.
- penguintruth
- Banned
- Posts: 4861
- Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm
Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback
Giving him a wacky voice makes his voice the joke more than his behavior. It dillutes the humor of the character and misses the point that, other than being a little eccentric, he's still a sagely old god.
It's just another role Sean Schemmel wields like a croquet mallet. But some blame also has to go to Sabat for continuing to keep him in the role.
It's just another role Sean Schemmel wields like a croquet mallet. But some blame also has to go to Sabat for continuing to keep him in the role.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.
Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!
Can I get a Schemen?
-
Piccolo Daimaoh
- Born 'n Bred Here
- Posts: 5407
- Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback
So? Just because he's a god, does that mean he has to have a stereotypical deep voice? Part of his charm in the dub is that you wouldn't except a god to have such a goofy voice.penguintruth wrote:Giving him a wacky voice makes his voice the joke more than his behavior. It dillutes the humor of the character and misses the point that, other than being a little eccentric, he's still a sagely old god.
- ohaimynameiserik
- Regular
- Posts: 658
- Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:08 am
- Location: Ohio
Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback
Kendamu wrote:Inaccurate to the tone of his Japanese voice, you snarky ass.Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Inaccurate to what? He's a blue catfish-like creature who likes to tell jokes and goof around. His dub voice suits both his personality and his appearance. Yes, it's nothing like his Japanese voice, but that doesn't mean it's wrong for the character.batistabus wrote:As inaccurate as Kaio's voice is, I feel like they're making the best of it. You're definitely not getting the same effect, but he makes me chuckle. I can deal with it.
But I do agree that his Schemmel's voice and performance are way off for being one who is an all-knowing deity, it's pretty funny and quite entertaining. I personally think Japanese Kaio isn't funny enough, anyway. Though that's probably just due to things being lost in translation from subtitles and all that.
- penguintruth
- Banned
- Posts: 4861
- Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm
Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback
And just because he's a wacky joke-teller doesn't mean he should have to sound like one, either, especially when it dillutes the humor of the joke of him being that way.Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:So? Just because he's a god, does that mean he has to have a stereotypical deep voice? Part of his charm in the dub is that you wouldn't except a god to have such a goofy voice.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.
Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!
Can I get a Schemen?
- batistabus
- Patreon Supporter
- Posts: 2108
- Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:55 pm
- Location: DBS:SH
Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback
I can see that, but it eliminates the shock. You hear an old guy, you know he's legendary, and you expect him to be wise or whatever. And then he acts the way he does. For the dub, there's no mistaking he's wacky and he has no depth.Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:So? Just because he's a god, does that mean he has to have a stereotypical deep voice? Part of his charm in the dub is that you wouldn't except a god to have such a goofy voice.penguintruth wrote:Giving him a wacky voice makes his voice the joke more than his behavior. It dillutes the humor of the character and misses the point that, other than being a little eccentric, he's still a sagely old god.
The dub voice prevents him from being taken seriously. Kaio is intended to be both funny and sagely.








