Dragonball Kai (FUNimation English) Dub: General Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:26 pm

Naw, Piccolo should call him Son from time to time. It's his character, at first, to not repsect him enough to call him by his first name. And it's pronounced Zone.

Hell, if the craptastic DBE movie got away with saying Son Goku and Muten Roshi, the DB Kai bud better damn do it. AND CALL IT KI DAMMIT. NOT POWER LEVELS. POWER LEVELS ARE JUST FOR THE SCOUTERS. Honestly, the most used word in the entire DB/Z/GT series and despite the fact that other animes use the term, the dub had to skip out on it.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:40 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Doesn't FUNi's dub of Ouran use honorifics?
Yes, and almost without exception, honorifics in dubs sound lame (FLCL, from what I remember of that crack-filled show, did it pretty well, I think). They sound really unnatural, and they're usually selective with the honorifics they use, which doesn't make much sense. Using the Ouran example, they keep '-chan' and '-senpai' in the dub, but not '-kun', '-san', or any others. How can you decide that some are important enough to be kept, but not others? If the viewers are that interested in how the characters refer to each other, they can watch it in Japanese (I also don't agree with putting honorifics in subtitles, since you can hear them being said, so people who don't know and don't care what they mean can ignore them without wondering why random words are being added to the end of characters' names, and people who are interested can just pay attention to the dialogue).
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:45 pm

Coola Yagami wrote:And it's pronounced Zone.
No, it's not. The "S" is a standard "S" that you would use in something like "street" or "simple" or "spectacular". The name "Son" may rhyme with "zone", but it's certainly not spoken with the "Z" sound.

"Son" is written with the kanji 孫 which you can write out in hiragana as そん. "Zon" would be written as ぞん. Notice the little diddlydaddlies added to the first kana.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:54 pm

Is there a certain program that you need to view the kanji on this forum?
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:01 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:Is there a certain program that you need to view the kanji on this forum?
It's not a program. Not exactly. Anyway, it depends on what OS you're running, but basically there should be a way to enable eastern languages on your computer.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:05 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:Is there a certain program that you need to view the kanji on this forum?
You need to go into your Windows settings and put in your windows disc.

Which I have lost, so I can never see kana.....

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:24 am

jda95 wrote:

Not for Vista.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:38 am

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:
jda95 wrote:
Not for Vista.
I'm running XP, and I just installed the Japanese language pack from here.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:14 pm

Come on Toei USA in LA, license DB Kai and hand the dub to Ocean, atleast that way we'd get a DVD release of an Ocean DB dub post 96.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:33 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Coola Yagami wrote:And it's pronounced Zone.
No, it's not. The "S" is a standard "S" that you would use in something like "street" or "simple" or "spectacular". The name "Son" may rhyme with "zone", but it's certainly not spoken with the "Z" sound.

"Son" is written with the kanji 孫 which you can write out in hiragana as そん. "Zon" would be written as ぞん. Notice the little diddlydaddlies added to the first kana.
Diddlydaddlies.... Hehe. And I thought their real name (tenten) was funny!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:49 pm

Kendamu wrote:Diddlydaddlies.... Hehe. And I thought their real name (tenten) was funny!
They're called dakuten, aren't they?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:07 am

Coola Yagami wrote:Naw, Piccolo should call him Son from time to time. It's his character, at first, to not respect him enough to call him by his first name.
Huh? Calling someone by their last name is more respectful than using their first name. :?

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:25 am

sailorspazz wrote:(I also don't agree with putting honorifics in subtitles, since you can hear them being said, so people who don't know and don't care what they mean can ignore them without wondering why random words are being added to the end of characters' names, and people who are interested can just pay attention to the dialogue).
I think people who don't know what those words mean would probably only watch dubs anyways. :P
Last edited by Taku128 on Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
­

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:25 am

Herms wrote:
Kendamu wrote:Diddlydaddlies.... Hehe. And I thought their real name (tenten) was funny!
They're called dakuten, aren't they?
My Japanese teacher said "tenten." Maybe they're synonyms or something.

http://learning-japanese.suite101.com/a ... ten_glides

The above article uses both.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:52 am

Tenten is just slang. Dakuten is the more 'formal' name.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:11 am

Rocketman wrote:
Coola Yagami wrote:Naw, Piccolo should call him Son from time to time. It's his character, at first, to not respect him enough to call him by his first name.
Huh? Calling someone by their last name is more respectful than using their first name. :?
Calling him 'Son' makes me think they're office jockies who work in cubicles on the same floor.

"Hey Son, wanna go drinking tonight?"

:lol:
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:03 am

Spoken honorifics in a dub of any show sounds beyond ridiculous (they're still pretty ridiculous when included in subtitles) and would be an instant-boycott for me. They could recast Kai with decent actors for some of the more off-sounding roles (looking at you, Freeza) and use an accurate script, but if I ever heard -san -chan and -kun in a dub I'd probably flip shit, laugh, and then cease watching that show dubbed.

Honestly the "Son" thing wouldn't translate over to dubs anyway. I watched the first few episodes of the Bleach dub and then gave up on it, but I noticed the kids who called Ichigo by his family name in the manga just called him Ichigo in the dub. It's quite a common practice in dubs and works well for spoken English.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:12 am

obiwan23s wrote:Spoken honorifics in a dub of any show sounds beyond ridiculous (they're still pretty ridiculous when included in subtitles) and would be an instant-boycott for me. They could recast Kai with decent actors for some of the more off-sounding roles (looking at you, Freeza) and use an accurate script, but if I ever heard -san -chan and -kun in a dub I'd probably flip shit, laugh, and then cease watching that show dubbed.

Honestly the "Son" thing wouldn't translate over to dubs anyway. I watched the first few episodes of the Bleach dub and then gave up on it, but I noticed the kids who called Ichigo by his family name in the manga just called him Ichigo in the dub. It's quite a common practice in dubs and works well for spoken English.
I'm actually used to the honorifics, in the Mexican dub Kami is called Kami-sama, Kai is called Kaio-Sama and so on, and since I grew up with that dub I never hear it as ridiculous, I think this is one of the reasons some people actually like the Mexican dub and consider it one of the best, but I'm not sure, although I have heard people saying it's one of the best

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:37 am

obiwan23s wrote:Honestly the "Son" thing wouldn't translate over to dubs anyway. I watched the first few episodes of the Bleach dub and then gave up on it, but I noticed the kids who called Ichigo by his family name in the manga just called him Ichigo in the dub. It's quite a common practice in dubs and works well for spoken English.
Why not? It's basically how Kuwabara calls Yûsuke by his name, and that works.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:00 am

obiwan23s wrote:Honestly the "Son" thing wouldn't translate over to dubs anyway. I watched the first few episodes of the Bleach dub and then gave up on it, but I noticed the kids who called Ichigo by his family name in the manga just called him Ichigo in the dub. It's quite a common practice in dubs and works well for spoken English.
That's actually probably one of my only complaints with the Bleach dub. Almost EVERYONE is on a last name basis with each other, and they just got rid of it. I'm all for getting rid of honorifics, but I always felt this formality between the characters was interesting.

Anyway, DRAGON BALL forum. I'd rather just delete "Son" since they'd probably use "Goku Son" which sounds... just plain gross.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki