Bad sound quality for Japanese DB/DBZ

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Bad sound quality for Japanese DB/DBZ

Post by superrayman3 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:15 pm

SephirothFF wrote:Sure - that makes sense. Any plans to distribute the audio?
They'd probably have to get approval from kei17 before they could do something like that, and even then kei would probably only let them share it with people that he trusts since if Toei were to get wind that the distributed audio came from him, he could get in legal trouble for copyright infringement because of how strict copyright laws are in Japan.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Fulicer
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fulicer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:14 pm

SephirothFF wrote: Sure - that makes sense. Any plans to distribute the audio?
That's up to kei17. TOEI has flagged his youtube accounts before so he's probably hesitant.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:42 pm

Fulicer wrote:
SephirothFF wrote: Sure - that makes sense. Any plans to distribute the audio?
That's up to kei17. TOEI has flagged his youtube accounts before so he's probably hesitant.
Lol, I don't even think Toei would be interested or care about replacing the audio.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:49 pm

Some people seem to think that my recordings are so rare that even Toei wants them, but I guess a lot of the staff members at the time still have their own recordings today.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:29 pm

kei17 wrote:Some people seem to think that my recordings are so rare that even Toei wants them, but I guess a lot of the staff members at the time still have their own recordings today.
That may be true, but the problem is people want to enjoy the series with the best audio quality, possible and since Toei doesn't seem to want to listen to the fans complaints regarding the audio and actually do something about it, the fans want your audio recordings so they can get the most out of the series which is why most people keep asking about the possibility of you releasing the audio which I can understand, but at the same time I also understand why you might not want to release it because of legal issues that could occur because of it, just my 2 cents.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:31 pm

for me it's the like video and audio of FUNimation singles Vs Dragon Boxes. It doesnt really bother me till I see comparisons. However, a Blu ray with better audio would be fantastic

Beji
Regular

Post by Beji » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:11 pm

superrayman3 wrote:
kei17 wrote:Some people seem to think that my recordings are so rare that even Toei wants them, but I guess a lot of the staff members at the time still have their own recordings today.
the problem is people want to enjoy the series with the best audio quality, possible so they can get the most out of the series which is why most people keep asking about the possibility of you releasing the audio which I can understand, but at the same time I also understand why you might not want to release it because of legal issues that could occur because of it, just my 2 cents.
I sort of have to chime in. From the videos that were taken down, I thought it was because of the use of the video, not the audio, if audio was uploaded on youtube with no video or even on a site for sound files only, I don't think they would care at all. They own that audio but they do not have that audio and do not want that audio.
As for people on this site it would be so awesome if we could have the option to download it. We've bought the US Dragon Boxes, heck some of us bought the Japanese ones :mrgreen:. I'd like to think (and I'd like to know if people agree or disagree) if they had the higher sound quality at the time for the Japanese Dragon Boxes they would have put them on those. If those were on the Japanese Dragon Boxes they would have been put on the US dragon boxes.
Toei's lack of motivation to get the broadcast audio from people, one person kei mentioned earlier, is disappointing. I would like to think the rationale was because of Kai coming out as well, why would they want to re-release Z and gather the higher quality audio when Kai offers a higher audio quality release? I know how the sales went but I'd like to think that's why they haven't gone for it. Those of us who paid for the series (especially if it was more than one time over :P ) should be able to synch the higher quality audio to our Dragon Boxes. We paid to have Dragon Boxes with their audio. Is there a difference in it being their home release audio or their broadcast audio? Especially if they don't care about said difference?

I've used the same rationale when it came to recording on a VHS as a child. I own the whole series, am I really going to get taken to court and sued for having the recordings on VHS and giving it to someone else who also owns the whole series? "Why did you want it then?" In that case "The cartoon network symbol was nostalgic." and in this case "the audio it has less static, muffling, and is more crisp." If anything this is better than giving a vhs because it would only be giving audio people already own.

It would be a funny court case if Toei did actually care. "You own this audio but lost it, you were offered it back but did not want it and you do not want us to redistribute it to people who own the release." Essentially, this is why I don't think they would care if it was redistributed, especially with the tiny niche that would want it.

My only other question would be to kei if the person who owns all of the tv broadcast audio for Z, has already backed it up on an HDD? That way it does not degrade if they were originally on a vhs tape.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:19 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Beji
Regular

Post by Beji » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:28 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:And I could give two fucks what TOEI thinks.
Probably should since they own it..

Wasn't asking him to distribute it, he said he only has the 7 episodes, or to pay him like other people, he said staff could possibly own the release too. If Toei actually released it later down the road, awesome. I listen more to the English dub myself. So ripping it for me would be a small perk, not a necessity.

Fulicer
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fulicer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:55 pm

sangofe wrote: Lol, I don't even think Toei would be interested or care about replacing the audio.
I'm not talking about giving it to TOEI (I already know their stance on this issue). I meant distributing something that is owned by TOEI for free or for money (i.e. to the general public) is not a good idea. It basically means distributing free episodes in audio form, which is probably illegal.

Corpsecreate
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corpsecreate » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:45 am

I've done a full "remastered" colour corrected, subbed encode eps 1-291 of the R2 DBOX spliced together with the FUNimation Dub + 5.1 track + Japanese. The only thing its missing is the original broadcast quality audio :(

SephirothFF

Post by SephirothFF » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:02 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:Kei17 has the audio ripped. He's not giving it out. End of story. Stop asking the guy.
It's totally Kei's choice for sure and if I were in his shoes I would probably do the same. Having said that it's still incredibly irritating to know there is a superior audio source out there and that those of us who have paid for fully legal copies will most likely never be able to access it.

It's kind of like "I got a better version but you can't have it". I appreciate this is a forum and the purpose is to 'chat' about dbz but to be honest I wish I had never come across this thread in the first place.

What I've gathered is that:

1) Toei sucks even harder than before, and;
2) There's a better quality audio stream for dbz that I'll never hear

So all in all pretty crappy :thumbup:

Pretorious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pretorious » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:27 pm

SephirothFF wrote:I appreciate this is a forum and the purpose is to 'chat' about dbz but to be honest I wish I had never come across this thread in the first place.

What I've gathered is that:

1) Toei sucks even harder than before, and;
2) There's a better quality audio stream for dbz that I'll never hear
That's interesting. Learning about the better quality audio actually made me releived it existed and optimistic about being able to hear it some day. I was also just happy to find out that people were talking about the audio quality of the anime, because before I heard it myself, I had not noticed anyone else bring it up and thought I maybe I was alone in being anal about it.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:52 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

SephirothFF

Post by SephirothFF » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:04 pm

Pretorious wrote: That's interesting. Learning about the better quality audio actually made me releived it existed and optimistic about being able to hear it some day. I was also just happy to find out that people were talking about the audio quality of the anime, because before I heard it myself, I had not noticed anyone else bring it up and thought I maybe I was alone in being anal about it.
I can tell you're a glass half full kinda guy :)

ionutbigiu1
Beyond Newbie

Post by ionutbigiu1 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:42 am

there has to be something that could be done.If someone has the original episodes with the master audio with the on of the episodes released on blu-ray or dvd ...That someone could replace the whole audio..that would be...legen-.....wait for it ...DARYYY!!!!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:27 pm

I've recently got a recording of the final episode of the original Dragon Ball, so I synced it up with the Dbox footage: https://box.yahoo.co.jp/guest/viewer?si ... ype=detail

Try muxing this with a VOB file of episode 153.

Fulicer
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fulicer » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:08 pm

kei17 wrote:I've recently got a recording of the final episode of the original Dragon Ball, so I synced it up with the Dbox footage: https://box.yahoo.co.jp/guest/viewer?si ... ype=detail

Try muxing this with a VOB file of episode 153.
There was another member that had recordings of the original airings of all of the DB episodes. I wonder if he is still converting episodes to a digital format.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:07 pm

That was also kei17, and he only has Z.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:17 pm

Puto wrote:That was also kei17, and he only has Z.
I think Fulicer was referring to AnimeMaakuo who said that he had a friend that has all 153 episodes of DB recorded on betamax, now whether or not there's been any new developments on AnimeMaakuo's end is anybody's guess right now.