Bad sound quality for Japanese DB/DBZ

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Victorious
Beyond Newbie

Bad sound quality for Japanese DB/DBZ

Post by Victorious » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:56 pm

I notice on my orange bricks, the sound quality of the Japanese version is so terrible, it's sounds fine in the dub-English but I don't like to watch the dub.

Everything i've watched online with DB and DBZ in Japanese also has bad quality sound.

What the heck is going on here? Is there no version of the original Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z available with high sound quality?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Re: Bad sound quality for Japanese DB/DBZ

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:58 pm

The audio quality is bad in the Dragon Boxes as well. Some re-runs of the series on TV, however, have high quality sound.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Victorious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Victorious » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:01 pm

Yeah, i don't know how it is on the Dragon Boxes, but on the Oranage bricks you can change to Japanese vs English dub anytime while you're watching it, and you'll instantly notice the much poorer sound quality of the Japanese version. Even the dub with the Japanese soundtrack is good, but original Japanese version is no good. It's audio stinks.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:08 pm

It was a throwaway weekly show in Japan. They didn't bother to keep the raw audio masters for the show, because why on Earth would you ever watch the show again? It's on TV. The TV show isn't the product! The TV show is just a commercial for the rest of the merchandise!

That was the basic thinking. I defy you to find some of our own shows from the 1980s (even even the 1990s) with proper audio masters. What is there... Jem & the Holograms...? That's basically it?

The reason the English dub sounds better is because it was produced well over a decade later and was always intended to be tossed on a home video release, so they obviously kept their raw masters for later proper encoding.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:25 pm

Victorious wrote:Is there no version of the original Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z available with high sound quality?
Nothing except the Japanese releases of the movies.
-Joey

Victorious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Victorious » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:32 pm

VegettoEX wrote:It was a throwaway weekly show in Japan. They didn't bother to keep the raw audio masters for the show, because why on Earth would you ever watch the show again? It's on TV. The TV show isn't the product! The TV show is just a commercial for the rest of the merchandise!

That was the basic thinking. I defy you to find some of our own shows from the 1980s (even even the 1990s) with proper audio masters. What is there... Jem & the Holograms...? That's basically it?

The reason the English dub sounds better is because it was produced well over a decade later and was always intended to be tossed on a home video release, so they obviously kept their raw masters for later proper encoding.
Well thanks for the bad news, that was really stupid of them IMO. How could they not think about how they were initially gonna sell the show on video?

At least we have Kai i suppose, but still I like large portions of filler in Z, and the Buu saga. Ohh yeah, and Dragon Ball.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:00 pm

IMO, the Japanese audio sounds faintly better on the orange bricks because it's somewhat equalized. The Dragon Boxes have fewer crackles, though.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:04 pm

Victorious wrote:Well thanks for the bad news, that was really stupid of them IMO. How could they not think about how they were initially gonna sell the show on video?
Who in their right mind would contemplate selling a 500 episode TV series on the medium of the time (VHS)...?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:39 pm

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=PCXP-60021 Ranma 1/2 aired in similar period of time to DBZ, also had plenty of episodes, yet it look like they still have proper sound masters.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:01 pm

I would argue that this is the worst the series ever sounded. And it's on one of my orange bricks :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-ZQl-lTPts

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:02 pm

VegettoEX wrote:It was a throwaway weekly show in Japan. They didn't bother to keep the raw audio masters for the show, because why on Earth would you ever watch the show again? It's on TV. The TV show isn't the product! The TV show is just a commercial for the rest of the merchandise!

I definitely can't think of any show from the 80s or early 90s that sounds quite as bad as Dragon Ball, though. Some Japanese shows that aired around the time of DB or even earlier have amazing audio on newer Japanese releases, even. Lupin III and the original Macross come to mind.
Although then again, DB is a ridiculously long show. For all we know, they decided to start throwing DB stuff away when it ran for really long and then figured "well, there's no point in keeping part of the masters around!" Or maybe it's just Toei that throws everything away. :P
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:19 pm

The only real way to watch the series with higher quality Japanese audio would be if you had access to TV recordings of when the show aired for the very first time, which was when the audio masters were used before being thrown away.

There's also this little topic which compares between the Dragon Box and recordings of the original broadcast.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:46 pm

I think Toei kept their audio masters for their 1968 Gegege no Kitarou series. Hokuto no Ken is also in a similar boat with the DVDs having really good sound.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:49 pm

Victorious wrote:

Well thanks for the bad news, that was really stupid of them IMO. How could they not think about how they were initially gonna sell the show on video?

At least we have Kai i suppose, but still I like large portions of filler in Z, and the Buu saga. Ohh yeah, and Dragon Ball.
You think that's bad, BBC was about to record over the Monty Python's Flying Circus reels, which would have destroyed the only existing copies, had one of the members of the show not bought them to save them. BBC did that to many shows to save money. That's why so many of their shows are lost. Luckily, he kept the reels so the BBC could later come back and ask to borrow them for new things (so we eventually got DVDs).

Also, Fist of the North Star has great sound...but the early animation was pretty cheap.

Saint Seiya must have kept their sound because it sounded great even on Youtube a few years back (then again, given the budget the first 73 episodes had, I doubt Toei would throw any of that out).

I wonder what the condition of Dr. Slump is, or if they kept all the Kamen Rider/Super Sentai masters, because some of the older shows on DVD sounded fairly good.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:41 pm

Mewzard wrote:I wonder what the condition of Dr. Slump is, or if they kept all the Kamen Rider/Super Sentai masters, because some of the older shows on DVD sounded fairly good.
I've got a few R2 Dr. Slump DVDs from the N-Cha boxset and from what I've seen, the video and audio quality are pretty much identical to the Dragon Boxes, only difference really was that it retained the broadcast order with NEP first, then the credits, unlike the Dragon Box which reversed it.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:54 pm

JulieYBM wrote:I think Toei kept their audio masters for their 1968 Gegege no Kitarou series. Hokuto no Ken is also in a similar boat with the DVDs having really good sound.
Mewzard wrote:Fist of the North Star has great sound.
What are you guys talking about? It sounds like the same optical audio as the Dragon Boxes to me, though maybe it's not quite as muffled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LAMuyc9TEY

The movie sounds fantastic like the movie Dragon Boxes though.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:17 pm

This sounds better than the Dragon Ball stuff.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:07 am

During the first broadcast, Toei Video released three volumes of VHS that contain the first TV series of Hokuto no Ken edited down to several hours, and they have the crystal-clear audio even remixed into stereo. Then they released all the episodes for the fist time on DVD in the early 2000s, of which audio sucks just as bad as the Dragon Boxes.

Fulicer
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fulicer » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:01 am

VegettoEX wrote:
Victorious wrote:Well thanks for the bad news, that was really stupid of them IMO. How could they not think about how they were initially gonna sell the show on video?
Who in their right mind would contemplate selling a 500 episode TV series on the medium of the time (VHS)...?
They probably produce a ton of shows per year. To save space, it would be more practical to use the soundtrack on the film for the Japanese version, and the ME (Music and Effects tapes). This means that the voice tapes are not required. Still, certain shows were released on VHS (like Sailormoon according to Kei or someone else here?) so there masters were kept.

Now DB might be a bit tough to distribute. But if there was a market for that show (i.e. if was popular with kids in Japan during the 80s-90s like it is here), then such a release would have made sense. Since they opted not to, the TV episodes have crap audio quality while the movies sounds great.

One other thing I wanted to point out; a lot of people say that the Dragon Box movies use "stereo" audio. They are probably encoded as such, but they sound like a single channel of audio to me. Movie 13 is an obvious exception as you can hear a stereo effect in the beginning. I don't think TOEI bothered to remix the audio for the Dragon Ball movies and DBZ movies 1-12. The Dragon Box versions of those movies still sound good though.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:24 am

Fulicer wrote:Still, certain shows were released on VHS (like Sailormoon according to Kei or someone else here?) so there masters were kept.
Yes, that's true; though the first series of Sailor Moon was broadcast with the optical audio because of TV Asahi's practice at the time. For some reason, TV Asahi never used cinetapes for prime-time shows until the early '90s. Incidentally, receiving a VHS release during or immediately after the initial broadcast doesn't guarantee the current existences of the original audio masters. Some Super Sentai shows got VHS releases with the original audio, but they all sound bad on DVD.