So MLP Just Went DBZ....

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: So MLP Just Went DBZ....

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun May 11, 2014 7:18 pm

Lack of a better term is right considering I'm talking about how men are perceived, not women. And, no, I'm not judging you. I don't care if you like My Little Pony. I don't care if you find it weird. I don't care if you find people who like it weird. What I do care about are your bullying remarks towards people who do.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun May 11, 2014 7:23 pm

JulieYBM wrote:It's like watching two cardboard cutouts of the character models sliding across the screen. There's no sense of motion or personality despite all of the money spent.
That's pretty much American/Western(?) kids animation for the past ten years unfortunately. Ever since they switched to flash for most of their cartoons, they began looking lifeless and cheap. Avatar is an exception though. Of course, I stopped watching western cartoons when I was 13 or so, so I don't know if any current shows are "good" or not.\

I have zero interest in MLP, and I would have if I was a kid too.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 11, 2014 7:28 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Lack of a better term is right considering I'm talking about how men are perceived, not women. And, no, I'm not judging you. I don't care if you like My Little Pony. I don't care if you find it weird. I don't care if you find people who like it weird. What I do care about are your bullying remarks towards people who do.
You consider that bullying? I said that MLP is more ridiculous than DBZ, and I'd be a lot more understanding if it wasn't for how antagonistic thatdbzguy is towards a show he joined a fan forum to discuss.

And dispite it all, I know all the sociology and gender studies courses like to talk about gender roles especially when it comes to male insecurity, but there are just some things that are weird. Call me intolerant all you want, I think it's weird that grown men like show aimed at little girls. That wouldn't be a big issue, if a certain individual wasn't so adamant about using this particular one to knock DBZ.

Metalwario64, some superhero cartoons in the past few years have been really good, such as Green Lantern and Spectacular Spider-Man. Unfortunately, both were cancelled after 26 episodes.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun May 11, 2014 7:33 pm

I say watch or don't watch what you want but don't expect others to like or dislike it and accept it and them as they have to accept you and what you do, they can also watch or not watch what they want. That scene just showed me I was good with not watching My Little Pony. Avatar? Yes. Certain Disney shows and movies? Yes. My Little Pony? No.
Last edited by Cetra on Sun May 11, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sun May 11, 2014 7:33 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote:I'll just leave this here.

Oh God :shock:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 11, 2014 7:35 pm

Cetra wrote:I say watch or don't watch what you want but don't expect others to like or dislike it and accept it and them as they have to accept you and what you do, they can also watch what they want. That scene just showed me I was good with not watching My Little Pony.
I agree if I'm understanding you correctly.

Like what you want, but don't expect me to agree or not think it's weird.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun May 11, 2014 7:39 pm

ABED wrote: I agree if I'm understanding you correctly.

I don't know if you understood me correctly because of your last sentence. I don't like My Little Pony. I just say, the Thread Maker can watch what he wants. The two of us can think it is weird or certain people watching it is weird, still they have the right to do so. As you said, "Like what you want", so you probably did understand.

Or was that last line of yours here to sum up what I said?
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 11, 2014 7:41 pm

Cetra wrote:

I don't know if you understood me correctly because of your last sentence. I don't like My Little Pony. I just say, the Thread Maker can watch what he wants. The two of us can think it is weird or certain people watching it is weird, still they have the right to do so. As you said, "Like what you want", so you probably did understand.

Yeppers, we are on the same page.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sun May 11, 2014 7:42 pm

Cetra wrote:

At the same time I think it's weird to come on a Dragon Ball fan site and make a thread talking about how bad Dragon Ball Z is and how much better MLP is in comparison.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun May 11, 2014 7:43 pm

qjz123 wrote: At the same time I think it's weird to come on a Dragon Ball fan site and make thread talking about how bad Dragon Ball Z is and how much better MLP is in comparison.
Yes, that on the other hand is a bit weird but I mean, I also have several hobbies that I think DB is old shoes against in comparison. I just don't talk about it that much.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 11, 2014 7:44 pm

His claim is that he doesn't hate the series, he simply thinks it's so bad that it's good. I have no idea what that means, but it's what he says.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun May 11, 2014 7:46 pm

ABED wrote:His claim is that he doesn't hate the series, he simply thinks it's so bad that it's good. I have no idea what that means, but it's what he says.
Ever been told a joke so corny or bad it's"funny" just not in the right way. Its the same with DbzGuy opinion on Z

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun May 11, 2014 7:46 pm

ABED wrote:His claim is that he doesn't hate the series, he simply thinks it's so bad that it's good. I have no idea what that means, but it's what he says.
That is actually is something I know of myself. Some things have an entertaining trash factor. Still it seems, from what I have read that he does appreciate more than that about it.

EDIT: Oh, you seem to mean Dragon Ball.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 11, 2014 7:50 pm

Cetra wrote:
That is actually is something I know of myself. Some things have an entertaining trash factor. Still it seems, from what I have read that he does appreciate more than that about it.

EDIT: Oh, you seem to mean Dragon Ball.
Well, I get that some things are so bad that they can be entertaining in their terribleness. Like there are some line deliveries by A-List actors that are SO over the top that they are entertaining, but I still wouldn't call that good. Maybe he doesn't mean "good" but entertaining in it's terribleness, but I still don't know what it means in this context because he never says what he thinks is so bad it's good. He just insults the series every chance he gets.
Ever been told a joke so corny or bad it's"funny" just not in the right way. Its the same with DbzGuy opinion on Z
It depends on context and delivery.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun May 11, 2014 7:52 pm

Actually, thatdbzguy claims that he thinks DB is good and likes some parts of Z:
thatdbzguy wrote:Saiyan:
+ The reveal of Saiyans (and Goku being one) was cool
+ Vegeta was a great villain
+ High sense of tension
+ Great final battle
+ Humans were actually relevant in a fight

Freeza:
+ Freeza showed a lot of promise
+ Super Saiyan was a cool reveal
+ Nice final battle

Majin Buu:
+ Toriyama's return to his goofiness felt refreshing
+ Majin Vegeta
+ Gohan becomes less unlikable
+ Super Buu is cool
+ Good final fight
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 11, 2014 7:52 pm

I'm using his own words. I just wish that instead of knocking DBZ every single chance he gets, he would say good things about the show he does like. I don't see why he would want to be so negative.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Sun May 11, 2014 8:02 pm

ABED wrote:It's weird that you watch MLP, constantly criticize DBZ on a DBZ forum, and yet you claim to haven't watched any incarnation of Batman.
I "constantly criticize" DBZ because I find significantly more wrong with it than I do right. If you want me to say positive things about it, look at Kid Buu's post.

Regarding the Batman thing, I've just never been into superheroes, even when I was a little kid. The most I've seen is some live-action superhero movies, but I never watched any superhero cartoon series or read any superhero comics.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sun May 11, 2014 8:06 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
ABED wrote:It's weird that you watch MLP, constantly criticize DBZ on a DBZ forum, and yet you claim to haven't watched any incarnation of Batman.
I "constantly criticize" DBZ because I find significantly more wrong with it than I do right. If you want me to say positive things about it, look at Kid Buu's post.

Regarding the Batman thing, I've just never been into superheroes, even when I was a little kid. The most I've seen is some live-action superhero movies, but I never watched any superhero cartoon series or read any superhero comics.
If don't have anything positive to say about Dragon Ball Z then stop coming on to a Dragon Ball Z forum problem solved.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Sun May 11, 2014 8:09 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:If don't have anything positive to say about Dragon Ball Z then stop coming on to a Dragon Ball Z forum problem solved.
I just said to look at Kid Buu's recent post to find positive things I've said about DBZ.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun May 11, 2014 8:47 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
JEFFMAN219 wrote:If don't have anything positive to say about Dragon Ball Z then stop coming on to a Dragon Ball Z forum problem solved.
I just said to look at Kid Buu's recent post to find positive things I've said about DBZ.
A couple of positives doesn't negate the sheer amount of negativity that comes from you.

Your most recently post about loss is the type of discussion I enjoy though. It's passive, it doesn't flaunt your negative opinion as its primary goal and it raises an interesting point about the series that encourages some interesting talking points.

I'd love to see more posts like that rather than the typical 'What do you hate most about X and Y in Dragon Ball'.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.