DBZ Season 7 faux remastered cover?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:46 pm

Talk about the most silly cover since Season 6. Good job Funi with the false advertisment.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:48 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Forgotten Hero wrote:Funking Funimation!!!
The Majin Vegeta box was ok! Now they take that Piccolo picture from the second Ultimate uncut DVD!?!!?

Wow, that really is insulting to me! One thing is to cancel an DVD series/release, then throw these crap box sets out, and now they are just insulting...Fuck'em...
Wow, this kind of heated response over cover art? :?

Is there some sort of set rule that the cover art has to feature a character relevant to that part of the story?
No, but that picture is from the second Ultimate uncut dvd. I think it's bull frankly.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:22 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Is there some sort of set rule that the cover art has to feature a character relevant to that part of the story?
Well, it is the whole idea behind covers that they're supposed to give some representation of the product's contents. Granted, Piccolo is in this set of episodes, but not nearly as much as making him the single character pictured on the cover would suggest. Then again, one of my favorite covers from all of DragonBall-dom is the one to tankoubon 28/DBZ 12, which has Kame-sennin riding a bicycle. It has nothing at all to do with the events of that volume (end of Goku vs. Freeza, Trunks and early android stuff), but it looks so cool.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:26 pm

We've already asked Lance over at Toon Zone's forum. Also, it's not false advertizing.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:50 pm

Looks like Season Nine was leaked:
It's Kuwabara from Yu Yu Hakusho!
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:00 pm

Herms wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:Is there some sort of set rule that the cover art has to feature a character relevant to that part of the story?
Well, it is the whole idea behind covers that they're supposed to give some representation of the product's contents. Granted, Piccolo is in this set of episodes, but not nearly as much as making him the single character pictured on the cover would suggest. Then again, one of my favorite covers from all of DragonBall-dom is the one to tankoubon 28/DBZ 12, which has Kame-sennin riding a bicycle. It has nothing at all to do with the events of that volume (end of Goku vs. Freeza, Trunks and early android stuff), but it looks so cool.
I like that cover too, but most of the covers on the Viz manga doesn't make any sense to the content of the manga. So that doesn't bother me.
The first five dvd sets were consistent. Vegeta, Goku, Freeza, Trunks, Cell.
I liked those covers, but ah, we get no say in what Funimation does.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:09 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

kusakun004
Beyond Newbie

Post by kusakun004 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:19 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Looks like Season Nine was leaked:
Nice. :D Wouldn't surprise me either if FUNi did that either. After all there was a Kuwabara look-alike in GT.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:54 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Looks like Season Nine was leaked:
*Sexy Picture snipped*
Damn, I was hoping Arale would be in that picture!
Kunzait_83 wrote:
Oh now this is just getting priceless. Now all someone needs to do is throw a Guyver on one of those... :wink:
Since Funi was awarded a former ADV title in the new Guyver series, that could legally work.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:37 am

Screw you guys! Luffy!!!
Jk, like Kunzait_83 said: Priceless.

"Gas for driving to Best Buy...$50"
"Buying Dragonball Z Remastered Season 6, 7, 8,and 9....$120 plus tax."
"Snacks...$10"
"Funimation fucking up the box set covers and Daizenshuu EX members making better, and funnier DBZ/Dr. Slump/Yu Yu Hakusho/any anime covers...Priceless!"

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:38 am

Well ill wait till the season six set's season seven trailer to see which cover it is, but i would prefer vegeta :) .
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:04 am

Wow Funi just can't catch a break can they ? :roll:
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:23 am

Chrono Trigger wrote:Wow Funi just can't catch a break can they ? :roll:
Not when they are putting out consistently good products for other series....except ours.

Vegeta1984
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegeta1984 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:56 am

This makes no sence att all season 1 piccolo... if they are gonna have piccolo atleast have him from season 7 with his cape and head thing....

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:42 am

Raki said: Not when they are putting out consistently good products for other series....except ours.
If you're talking about Z and GT in general then yeah they deserve all the criticism. Now if you're just talking about the fact that they put Piccolo on the front cover of season 7 then you have got to be kidding. The way people here are throwing rocks you'd think they edited Piccolo into every episode of the season or were taking a bunch of episodes with Piccolo and calling it season 7. Having him on the front cover just breaks the deal huh ? Seriously people are sitting here getting pissy about box art ! What's next !? Freaking....Well I don't know. I can't think of anything lower than that. :?
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:49 am

Forgotten Hero wrote:"Gas for driving to Best Buy...$50"
"Buying Dragonball Z Remastered Season 6, 7, 8,and 9....$120 plus tax."
"Snacks...$10"
"Funimation fucking up the box set covers and Daizenshuu EX members making better, and funnier DBZ/Dr. Slump/Yu Yu Hakusho/any anime covers...Priceless!"
Go back to the Nineties when that was funny.

I'm glad Piccolo's on a Cover at all now, but when I got Season 1 I thought the next set should have Piccolo on. :lol:

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:21 am

Honestly? Piccolo being on the cover doesn't annoy me at all. I like the idea of giving a different main character representation on each cover. Had FUNi not screwed it up with repeating Goku on season six and just featured Gohan like everybody wanted, I'd be fine with the covers.

With Freeza and Cell, who only appear in limited episodes, then yeah, you have to put them on the covers for episodes where they're relevant; otherwise, it's false advertising. With somebody like Piccolo, though, who's a main character throughout the entire series, FUNi can be a little more flexible when deciding what cover to put him on. Vegeta's had a cover (even if it is the ugliest season set cover yet); let another character get one. One that's less popular, but just as deserving.

Plus, it's not like Piccolo's absent from these episodes or anything. He participates in the Tenkaichi Tournament, is the first to really encounter Kaioshin and discover who he is, flies off with the main gang to Babidi's ship, and once Dabra's spell on him is broken, he basically becomes the "leader" of the good guys until he's absorbed by Boo. Piccolo has a lot to do in these episodes, arguably more than he did in the Saiyan and Freeza sagas. He may not be firing any Makkankosappo's, but I think his place on the cover is deserved, unlike Goku's on season six.

If Gohan isn't on the cover of either seasons eight or nine, though, I'll be pissed. And I don't even buy these damn sets.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:52 am

I don't really care what the covers look like, but it would be nice for the art to be relevant, as other people have said.

Personally I don't get the single character cover thing. I mean, it is possible to fit more than one character on a cover, I mean look at the Dragon Ball box sets Funi put out.

Honestly season ones cover should have been a reworking of this image.

http://www.geocities.com/tokyo/shrine/9561/naveg.jpg

Season 2 should have had the Ginyu Force, with Krillin Gohan and Vegeta in battle stance.
Season 3 should have had Goku SSJ and Freeza fighting.
Season 4 should have had the Androids and the Goku, Trunks and Vegeta.
Season 5 should have had all the forms of Cell with USSJ Trunks and USSJ Vegeta
Season 6 Should have had SSJ2 Gohan, Goku up in the Clouds and Super Perfect Cell.
Season 7 should have had Great Saiyaman, Paikuhan, Goku and Majin Vegeta, with a faint image of Babidi and Fat Buu in the Background.
Season 8 Should have Super Buu, Gotenks, Gohan and Vegetto.
Season 9 Should have a group shot.

I don't know if those line up correctly with the episodes on the seasons, but I think that would have been better.

shenron002
Beyond Newbie

Post by shenron002 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:46 am

Mr. Satan English Dub Voice: You can't hurt MAAJIIN BOOO, his my friend!
"WE GOTTA POWER"

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:45 pm

Most of you have probably noticed already; there seems to be a pattern with the season set covers: villain, hero, villain hero.. So far, we've gotten Vegeta, Goku, Frieza, Trunks, Cell, and Goku. Maybe FUNi decided to stick Goku on the Season 6 set to appease the fans in some way, thinking that it wouldn't be fair if Vegeta made another appearance on the season sets once more.

If FUNi really is going by pattern, then season 8 should be one of the following characters:

-Vegetto
-Gotenks
-Ssj 3 Goku (following a possible notion of showing 'all' forms of Goku on the sets)
-Gohan (in favor of pleasing the fans for lack of Gohan on the season 6 cover)

Season 9 should (hopefully) be Kid Buu on the cover.