Kai Episode 1 (05 April 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:09 pm

Tsukento wrote:Interesting note.

I went through volume 17 of the manga again. We actually only see ONE panel of the blood on the floor. And that's before Piccolo begins walking up to Raditz. After that, all the panels of Raditz on the floor don't show any blood pooling.
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that only one panel had a blood pool while all the others didn't.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Deity
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deity » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:31 pm

Herms keep up with the good comparisons, Thank you very much

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:19 pm

Could Wasted Wisher draw the whole series?...
His Scenes look to be the best of the bunch, AWESOME Job there WW!!

Does anyone have the DB Dragon Boxes to compare those scenes to?
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:25 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:41 am

Thanks for all of the info Wasted Wisher!! Is there any word on new openings endings or eyecatches?

Any behind the scenes material you can provide us with would be much appreciated (and by that, I mean anything as little as a digital picture taken of the scene you're working on, or an instruction/guideline sheet, or a picture of what you like to snack on while you're working... basically anything).

Great job with the scenes you worked on!! You just having been on this forum makes me look at them so much differently! Thank you. :D

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:40 am

I just took a look at the first episode of Dragonball Kai while reading the manga, in order to get a look at it from the perspective of, "How well does it translate the manga in terms of the framing and aspect ratio," rather than, "How well does it translate the original Dragonball Z anime?" For those who are fans of the manga version, I have some good news: It translates really well!

I only compared everything from the farmer's appearance onward, but in comparison to the manga frames Kai actually does just as good or better at translating the manga onto the screen. If you're comparing it to the Dragonball Z anime then you'll be running into the obvious problems of seeing less in the frame than you're expecting to, just like on the Bricks.

In comparison to the manga, though, Kai looks pretty good! Of course, the music is still different and some of the lines show that the seiyuu have gotten a bit rusty (some of Piccolo and Bulma's lines come to mind) and that could very well be a legitimate problem for many people. I don't blame them since the voices and music are part of why I don't like the current FUNimation dub of Dragonball Z nearly as much as the Japanese version.

I'd also like to apologize for being so brash about my defense of Dragonball Kai to those who legitimately have problems with it. Like everyone else, I'm caught up in the excitement one way or another and I really felt like people were raining on my parade even if that weren't the intention of the people being more critical toward the series.

Also, once I get the chance, I'll try and do screenshot comparisons of the manga and Kai.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

kaioken12
Beyond Newbie

Post by kaioken12 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:19 am

While I am pleased with the new series, I still like the old colouring pretty much for example.
But the overall presentation seems fine to me.
I don't know if I would buy every single DVD of this series, if I ever got the chance, but it's enjoyable enough to not switch my TV channel, when I see this running xD

Plus, when I see the opening and ending scenes, I can't but ask myself, if it had be more awesome if they had actually REALLY redone the whole series - I mean it wasn't meant to "replace" DBZ anyways, so...

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:48 am

kaioken12 wrote:While I am pleased with the new series, I still like the old colouring pretty much for example.
But the overall presentation seems fine to me.
I don't know if I would buy every single DVD of this series, if I ever got the chance, but it's enjoyable enough to not switch my TV channel, when I see this running xD

Plus, when I see the opening and ending scenes, I can't but ask myself, if it had be more awesome if they had actually REALLY redone the whole series - I mean it wasn't meant to "replace" DBZ anyways, so...
I don't really like the colors either. They seem kind of "faint" or "washed out". But maybe I'm too used to the high contrast in DBZ Remastered.

Wasted Wisher
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Wasted Wisher » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:50 am

JulieYBM>

For other shows, we get storyboards. For Kai, the show is already broken down into the scenes that are going be re-drawn.

Kendamu>

That is interesting. Maybe the omitted blood pool in the re-drawn Kai footage was meant to be a continuity fix? So that it matches the rest of the manga?

SSj-Rambo>

Nope, no new stuff yet. But then again, the show's just started!

DemonRin>

If there was no such thing as deadline pressure, I'd be glad to! Rushing for a deadline makes my work sloppier (but I guess that applies to everyone).

Patient-mental
Beyond Newbie

Post by Patient-mental » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:58 am

WW, how long (roughly) does it take for your department to finish redoing the necessary upgrades to each individual episode?

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:58 am

@wasted wisher
Filler-wise, how much is going to stay in Kai? I assume the Garlic Jr saga is going to be omitted, but what else?
Last edited by Rod on Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:00 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:01 pm

Don't forget Bulma's misadventures on Namek. Especially her battle with the Giant Enemy Crab, along with her shooting its weak point for massive damage. :lol:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:23 pm

Well, certain fller-introduced characters like Paikuhan DID end up finding their way into canon scenes later on. Though I don't expect them to, I personally wouldn't begrudge them for keeping the Otherworld Budokai. It was one of Z's better filler arcs, after all.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:13 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Well, certain fller-introduced characters like Paikuhan DID end up finding their way into canon scenes later on. Though I don't expect them to, I personally wouldn't begrudge them for keeping the Otherworld Budokai. It was one of Z's better filler arcs, after all.
Besides Bardock, who did and how?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:48 pm

Rod wrote:Besides Bardock, who did and how?
I honestly couldn't tell you many off the top of my head. All I can think of is Paikuhan; he was inserted into a scene during the battle battle with Kid Buu where King Kai and West Kai are chatting it up.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:25 pm

Tsukento wrote:
Kunzait_83 wrote:Couldn't agree more, and I feel much the same way about Encyclopedia Dramatica as well.
Uh...Encyclopedia Dramatica was never meant to be taken seriously.
And tvtropes.org is?
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:07 pm

For anyone that's interested, we finally have our page up on Kanzentai for the first episode of DragonBall Kai. We did our usual episode page (full credits, synopsis, screen shots, etc...), but really went in-depth with comparisons to the manga, the original broadcast (DragonBall Z), and with the seiyuu (voice actors). I'm hoping that in the future we can get this done in a more timely manner, seeing as we won't have to make new theme pages, create a new episode page layout, we know what to expect from Kai, and Herms won't be catching a red-eye flight in the middle of the week back to Japan.

DBK Episode 001, "The Curtain Opens on the Battle! Son Goku Returns"

We did put a ton of time into this, since it's the first episode and all, so I'd really appreciate any comments or suggestions anyone might have for future updates. Here's lookin' forward to the second episode!

Credits:
Manga Comparison: Herms
Original Broadcast Comparison: Hujio
Music/Voice Performance Comparison: DBW
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:13 pm

Hujio wrote:For anyone that's interested, we finally have our page up on Kanzentai for the first episode of DragonBall Kai. We did our usual episode page (full credits, synopsis, screen shots, etc...), but really went in-depth with comparisons to the manga, the original broadcast (DragonBall Z), and with the seiyuu (voice actors). I'm hoping that in the future we can get this done in a more timely manner, seeing as we won't have to make new theme pages, create a new episode page layout, we know what to expect from Kai, and Herms won't be catching a red-eye flight in the middle of the week back to Japan.

We did put a ton of time into this, since it's the first episode and all, so I'd really appreciate any comments or suggestions anyone might have for future updates. Here's lookin' forward to the second episode!

Credits:
Very good jobs guys! I really liked it.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:34 pm

Hujio wrote:For anyone that's interested, we finally have our page up on Kanzentai for the first episode of DragonBall Kai. We did our usual episode page (full credits, synopsis, screen shots, etc...), but really went in-depth with comparisons to the manga, the original broadcast (DragonBall Z), and with the seiyuu (voice actors). I'm hoping that in the future we can get this done in a more timely manner, seeing as we won't have to make new theme pages, create a new episode page layout, we know what to expect from Kai, and Herms won't be catching a red-eye flight in the middle of the week back to Japan.

Credits:
Wow!! REALLY REALLY Nice guide!!
Never seen such an in-depth explanation!!

But Question, Why does the guide go out of it's way to say "Saiya-Jin" for Saiyan, "Kinto-un" for Kintoun, and spells Freeza's name right, but Kuririn is the only one who gets stuck with a Dub name?
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman