The black character's lips

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tommy

The black character's lips

Post by Tommy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:21 am

Anyone else think it's kind of racist that all the black characters have these big donut looking lips? I'm white and it has always bugged me, so I can't imagine what black folks think of this.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:26 am

That is why Viz edited them out.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:32 am

It's interesting that Saban didn't care to edit them it in the anime
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:34 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:It's interesting that Saban didn't care to edit them it in the anime
I find it interesting that a big stink was never made over it. I can understand it not causing problems in Japan seeing as I don't imagine many black people live over there, but when the series started airing here in America you'd think someone would get offended by it and throw down the race card.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:35 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:It's interesting that Saban didn't care to edit them it in the anime
I think it's because it would have taken a lot more effort to edit for the anime than it did with the manga.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:02 am

I really don`t see why should anyone be offended by that... Different cultures set the difference, maybe...

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Re: The black character's lips

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:11 am

Tommy wrote:Anyone else think it's kind of racist that all the black characters have these big donut looking lips? I'm white and it has always bugged me, so I can't imagine what black folks think of this.
I'm black and I don't find it racist. At the end of the day, it's a fictional cartoon. Maybe that's what Japanese culture is like, since I assume they don't get many black people there, so Toriyama just designed them like that and didn't think people would get offended by it. Viz has edited out the lips for such dark-skinned characters as Mr. Popo to avoid offence.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:24 am

I find it interesting that Black from the red ribbon army kept his lips while Mr. popo didn`t.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:43 am

I'am being honest here when I say that I can not fathom how people can find that racist. For me it would be the same as saying ''Why are black people black in the cartoon? That's racism!''. In the end they are black and they do (most of black people) have big lips.
Eddie Murphy wrote:Mick Jagger's lips are so big black people will be going ''You got some big ass lips''.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:55 am

Eh, I can see why people find it racist, but it's always been pretty low on the racism scale if you ask me. I guess it's because I grew up in a different time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface

I guess it's comparable to always drawing British people with huge, horrible teeth.

inb4 someone says, "but British people do have huge, horrible teeth.

mysteriousdbzgt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mysteriousdbzgt » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:04 am

Bussani wrote:Eh, I can see why people find it racist, but it's always been pretty low on the racism scale if you ask me. I guess it's because I grew up in a different time.

I guess it's comparable to always drawing British people with huge, horrible teeth.

I suppose it is the same thing, i don't really find it offensive being a black person myself and no not all British people have horrible teeth as i am also Britsh person myself. :wink:
Just another Dragon Ball fangirl in the world.

DB & Tiger and Bunny are my main fandoms, along with many other animes.

Deviantart Profile/ Tiger & Bunnyftw tumblr/ mysteriousdbzgt tumblr / My Anime List Profile

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:05 am

Bussani wrote:I guess it's comparable to always drawing British people with huge, horrible teeth.
The British are white. It's impossible to be racist against whites.

mysteriousdbzgt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mysteriousdbzgt » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:05 am

Bussani wrote:Eh, I can see why people find it racist, but it's always been pretty low on the racism scale if you ask me. I guess it's because I grew up in a different time.

I suppose it is the same thing, i don't really find it offensive being a black person myself and no not all British people have horrible teeth as i am also Britsh person myself. :wink:

Deviantart Profile/ Tiger & Bunnyftw tumblr/ mysteriousdbzgt tumblr / My Anime List Profile

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:06 am

I'll say the same thing about this that I say about Resident Evil 5 and other matters of racism in Japanese media. It's not really racist. It's just culturally insensitive.

As far as I can tell, white people seem to be fairly concerned with what people think. At least the higher ups in the media who control this kind of thing are. But it's almost understandable with the amount of bigotry and prejudice in the history of various European peoples and their descendants.

Now, I'm not trying to justify Japan's seeming insensitivity or the typical Caucasian fear of offending somebody, but rather, I'm just saying that it appears to me that the Japanese don't particularly give a shit about this kind of thing.

Of course this all just goes back to the point which needs no reiterating, that Japanese kids shows operate on completely different standards than North American ones.

mysteriousdbzgt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mysteriousdbzgt » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:06 am

I suppose it is the same thing, i don't really find it offensive being a black person myself and no not all British people have horrible teeth, as i am also Britsh person myself. :wink:

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:11 am

I guess people find it racist only because of the past and history... Know what I mean?

If there never was such a long history of discrimination, I doubt anyone would find it racist...

It`s not the lips that are truly racist, its everything that came before them, and makes them look racist.

I say this because I don`t think that the author intended to be racist when he drew them. Therefore they are not racist, and its what is behind them that makes them look racist.

However, if the author intended to be racist, if his intentions were not good, then they are racist.

But when I look at them, I dont find them racist or think that the author had those intentions.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:17 am

Son Wukong wrote:
Eddie Murphy wrote:Mick Jagger's lips are so big black people will be going ''You got some big ass lips''.
I was watching that for the first time yesterday. :lol:

Anybody got one of them mothers that would hit you with a shoe?
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:18 am

Rocketman wrote:
Bussani wrote:I guess it's comparable to always drawing British people with huge, horrible teeth.
The British are white. It's impossible to be racist against whites.
Why not?

I thought the definition of racism was discrimination with ill intend merelly based upon race or ethnic origin. That doesn`t exclude whites.

Or is it necessary to have years and years of ill treatment to something to be called racist? I think not. People are all the same. And in principle should be treated the same.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:19 am

rereboy wrote:But when I look at them, I dont find them racist or think that the author had those intentions.
Especially since the character's in question are pretty awesome. Mr Popo was unbeatable when Goku first met him, and (Assistant?) Black was more competent than his boss in the long run.

Edit: I think you're taking Rocketman too seriously.

If you say, 'white men can't play sports,' no one cares.

If you say 'black men can't play spots,' holy shit you're Hitler.

Edit 2: Likewise if you have a commercial showing a man do something stupid, that's funny. But if it were a woman, it would be sexist. Make sense? No? Good.
Last edited by Bussani on Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:20 am

True :D