DragonBall VA Opinions

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

DragonBall VA Opinions

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:19 pm

NOTE: This is just an opinion, feel free to disagree.

What voice actor do you think matured the most from the season 3 cast.
I think its Chris Sabat, only because when he first came into the show, he was the worst person, Vegeta's voice was horrible. Now he's a perfect Vegeta, He changed from craptacular, to fitting for Vegeta.
Also Piccolo has improved a lot, He used to sound like a wrestler, now he actually sounds good.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:37 pm

Sonny Strait.

Then again... err... I kinda stopped watching after Cell Games. But from what I've seen, he's absolutely fantastic. The almost-nervous, cracking-emotions that he displays reminds me a crapload of Mayumi Tanaka... not in voice, but in general style, which matters a lot more.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:56 pm

Absolutely agree with EX. Sonny Strait went from pretty annoying to a pleasure to listen to real quick. Though, Sean Schemmel, whom I wholly disliked at the beginning of season 3, has had some absolutely great 'Goku' moments here and there, most recently in Budokai 2, where his interactions with the Saibamen and later the Saibarangers are great.
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:03 pm

SDHero wrote:Though, Sean Schemmel, whom I wholly disliked at the beginning of season 3, has had some absolutely great 'Goku' moments here and there, most recently in Budokai 2, where his interactions with the Saibamen and later the Saibarangers are great.
Schemmel's best performances... EVER... are, sadly, in Budokai 2. "No, I'm not exactly PRAISING you for it!" demands a hug.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:49 pm

Best. Line. Ever.

Goku: "Thank you for killing Babidi! Now be a good Buu and go back in your ball!"

Buu: "Buu no like you. Buu make you dead."

I'm going to get crucified for this, but I LOVE Mr. Buu's voice in the dub. In the Japanese version, as we know, Babidi was somewhat childish and Buu was rather intelligent. This always seemed like a miscast to me. I mean, THINK:

Babidi is who-knows how old, is short, and has an insidious look on his face. Just by looks, that seems to say "very wise and intelligent."

Buu is a FRIGGIN' BABY! He always has that goofy grin on his face and acts rather innocent about killing people (I know that sounds odd, but it's true if you think about it). This seems to say "deadly yet with the mind (and body) of a child."

For one brief and gleaming moment, the dub came through for me. Then came Super Buu and his "Piccolo-like-yet-he-hasn't-even-absorbed-Piccolo-yet" voice. Ugh...
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:33 pm

I liked Fat Buu's English voice best too. I'd also have too say Mr. Sabat's Piccolo voice has improved greatly over time. Especially in Dragon Ball where he's evil. Because of that, I almost like Evil Piccolo better than when he's good.

Milton
Patreon Supporter

Post by Milton » Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:14 pm

Gotta go with Sean Schemmel's Goku. Season three he was pretty bad, but around the Cell Games I could tolerate him more. But, I have to disagree with johnboy1...best Schemmel Goku line was the first episode of GT:

"I should be heading home. I've been away for a few years and I don't think my wife will be too happy about that..." Or something to that effect. His delivery had me laughing thinking about an angry Chi-Chi. :lol:

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:24 pm

I have to agree with Tanooki, Sabat was completely crappy the 3rd season, but towards Androids Saga he got a LOT better in both Vegeta and Piccolo. I like his Piccolo voice a lot! And with other projects like being Ayame in Fruits Basket you can see he's diversifying a lot. He's not just playing "tough guys" anymore, he's matured into a good V.A.!

And I also like Fat Buu's voice in the dub! I think it's fitting! And his lines? GOD! "Big hair make you big funny!" Comic genious! XD

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:55 pm

Finally! A topic giving props to the dub actors. I always hear about how awful they are. It's true that most cannot stand up to their Japanese counterparts, but they are GOOD AT WHAT THEY DO.

Anyway, my list would be Schemmel, Sabat, and Strait.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:18 am

The Spanish VA's own everyone, Freeza at least sounds masculine! :P Cell sounds really really cool in Spanish too, and Kid Buu has an almost Jerry Lewis like appeal.

IncredibleGuy
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncredibleGuy » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:31 am

Bah, they've all changed so much it's hard for to pick one... erm, oh, Oolong! Yea, he stunk at first.
Signatures are stupid and I wish there was a way to turn them off
edit- neato

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:37 am

I have mixed feelings (as do many of us) on the VA, but I think a lot of that has more to do with the script writing, than the voices themselves. Freeza's voice might have even been acceptable, if he wasn't constantly blabbing for a straight hour.

As for Christopher Sabat; I agree that he got better since the 3rd season, but for some reason I think his Vegeta voice is getting worse. It sounds like Vegeta has throat cancer or something.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:36 pm

Chris does have a smoking habit from pics I've seen lol. The secret is smoking kids! Smoke lots of cigs and get into voice acting business! :shock:

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:38 pm

With Frieza, i think they saw the androgynous look to him and that's why they wanted his voice as such.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:23 pm

I found this to be interesting, some interviews and bits with some of the Funimation VA's and staff, its mostly for FMA/CC, but its interesting, although its mostly the kind of stuff you've come to expect with any interview.

http://www.adultswim.com/misc/funimation/index.html

Why cant they ask them more interesting stuff? Like...how many times a week do you get wasted? :twisted:

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:58 pm

I didn't like Frieza's voice all that much, it should've been more masculine, but that actress' voice on Genkai from Yu Yu Hakusho is incredibly great! Hell, The YYH dub is the only dub I prefer over the original! *prepares for imminent impact*

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:18 am

Yeah, I liked her Genkai a lot more than I did her Frieza.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:43 am

I can do Chris' Vegeta voice and I haven't smoked a day in my life. It's called talent. ^_^

I can't stand the Spanish Kid Buu..
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

IncredibleGuy
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncredibleGuy » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:45 am

SonGokuGT wrote:I didn't like Freeza's voice all that much, it should've been more masculine, but that actress' voice on Genkai from Yu Yu Hakusho is incredibly great! Hell, The YYH dub is the only dub I prefer over the original! *prepares for imminent impact*
One thing that always bothered me about FUNi's Genkai was that her actress always sounded pissed off, even when her character wasn't. It's like the only the emotion she can do.
Signatures are stupid and I wish there was a way to turn them off
edit- neato

Hikari_dashita
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Hikari_dashita » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:39 am

I like the japanese super buu voice, dun ask me who the VA is, I have a memory like a siv >.<

But for the dub it has to be sabat, it has nothing to do with my favourite survivng character is piccolo. <.< >.> though it was evil in season 3, it did improve as was said before, and my props to the guy who did the voice in the saiyan saga, probably the same guy knowing my luck but meh, who am i kidding, i can never remember who did what ands when.

But for a bad VA, any kurillen (or how ever you spell it) come on his voice changed so much he must of hit puberty 15 times over.
NEKOJIN =^.^=

Nekojin =^.^=

Ya I like cat people so what?