Viz isn't going to pull anything tricky, are they?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

johnboy1
Regular

Viz isn't going to pull anything tricky, are they?

Post by johnboy1 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:04 pm

I just learned that the Shonen Jump versions of the Graphic Novels are their THIRD attempt to release the DB manga.

Now, I'm kind of obsessive-compulsive, and so, if I have a set of something (movies, etc.), they better damn well match.

I just spent booku's of money to get the first 32 "Shonen Jump" Graphic Novels. I'm sending in DB #16 to get a corrected spine, and I'm asking for DBZ #17 for Christmas, but other than that, I've got everything released so far.

If whoever's in charge of releasing these values their life and the lives of their loved ones, they better finish the Shonen Jump Novels. If they discontinue it like they did the First Editions, there's going to be bloodshed :evil:.

You don't think they'll do that, do you?
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:41 pm

The whole Shonen Jump graphic novel line has gotten so huge all together, I am sure they won't do that! Besides, they already released 33 DB GN's! That's only 9 more to go for the full set of 42. The other two attemps were cramped by, at first, complaints of parents, and the the second time [with the release of uncensored GN's] because of fan's complaints..

Still, this just seems kinda dumb... why would they stop production when they are almost done? You need to settle down and not go out for blood...lol!

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:01 pm

I think the SJ GN's are here to stay, I just wish Viz could of hired better graphic artists like Tokyopop's to do the cover designs. Its kinda plain when you got like some 20+ GN's all with white spines and/or spines lined up.

Viz's normal GN's like Inuyasha and Flame of Recca even have better design use than that. Viz recently announced some job openings though...the choosen time is now! That is, if your willing to relocate to San Fransico...damnit...

Michi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Michi » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:34 am

Izlude wrote:I think the SJ GN's are here to stay, I just wish Viz could of hired better graphic artists like Tokyopop's to do the cover designs. Its kinda plain when you got like some 20+ GN's all with white spines and/or spines lined up.

Viz's normal GN's like Inuyasha and Flame of Recca even have better design use than that. Viz recently announced some job openings though...the choosen time is now! That is, if your willing to relocate to San Fransico...damnit...
o_o Better graphic artists? But the covers stay true to the originals more than most manga Viz has released (Fushigi Yuugi, Ayashi no Ceres x_X).. and when you line them all up you get that fun picture Toriyama made. XD What more do you need? o_o;

Haha. I used to live in San Francisco. I really would have loved to work for them. x_x; Maybe I'll move back someday.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:32 am

I dont even bother with Viz's Graphic Novels anymore. I have all the manga volumes I want in Japanese. I personally like the format of the Kaizeban(sp?) better.

Heritic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Heritic » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:34 pm

I have a question about the DB graphic novels too. Are the current DB volumes (red cover) edited or unedited. I've heard people say they were edited and I've heard others say they were unedited. I know the DBZ graphic novels are edited but what about the DB?

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:05 pm

The DB Shonen Jump graphic novels are entirely unedited, I believe, except (For some insane reason) for Mr. Popo's lips.
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:44 pm

Can anyone say racial over stereotyping?
Where's the beef?

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:15 pm

I only got the SJ DB graphic novels of vol. 11-16. For 1-10 I went for the more expensive uncensored older non-SJ versions. Hey, I prefer the bigger print.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:00 pm

Heritic wrote:I have a question about the DB graphic novels too. Are the current DB volumes (red cover) edited or unedited. I've heard people say they were edited and I've heard others say they were unedited. I know the DBZ graphic novels are edited but what about the DB?
They're uncensored, except for the lips of Mr. Popo (who only appears in volume 14, anyway).

DBZ is where the censor-fest begins, starting with an off-color Kame-sen'nin comment and ending (at least for now) with the H-word. Poor Satan... :?
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:22 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
Heritic wrote:I have a question about the DB graphic novels too. Are the current DB volumes (red cover) edited or unedited. I've heard people say they were edited and I've heard others say they were unedited. I know the DBZ graphic novels are edited but what about the DB?
They're uncensored, except for the lips of Mr. Popo (who only appears in volume 14, anyway).

DBZ is where the censor-fest begins, starting with an off-color Kame-sen'nin comment and ending (at least for now) with the H-word. Poor Satan... :?
Hmmm, I would've thought that comment would've been put back in there...

Anyways, is there a list of the censorship in the DBZ manga? And also, censoring Mr. Popo's lips is BS, because if they do that, shouldn't they to the same to Adjuntant Black? And change Black's name while they're at it? :roll:

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:41 pm

Those of us without access to Kanzeban don't know what we're missing out on, frankly once the censorship has started, I find it difficult to trust anything Viz does. Do you think their are enough changes to the manga to warrant their own section?

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:45 pm

What is this off colour Kame-sen'nin comment?
Where's the beef?

Heritic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Heritic » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:17 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:

Ahh, thank you, I knew all those "puff puff" scenes couldn't have possibly made it into an edited version.

I don't really mind that Mr. Popo's lips are edited since I didn't even notice until it was pointed out.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:39 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:
SaiyaJedi wrote:

Hmmm, I would've thought that comment would've been put back in there...

Anyways, is there a list of the censorship in the DBZ manga? And also, censoring Mr. Popo's lips is BS, because if they do that, shouldn't they to the same to Adjuntant Black? And change Black's name while they're at it? :roll:
Black's lips look about the same color as the rest of his skin. So they just look like full lips, whereas Popo's unfilled in lips have the blantant stereotype look to them. Besides, you really don't notice, since they did a pretty good job.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:47 pm

Did anyone read Shaman King this month? That Tanuki had Manta trapped in his "stomach" :x
Who are they trying to fool? They even did a little section in issue 3 on Tanuki, and noted how they can inlarge their *Ahem* "balls", and even showed a color picture with that same Tanuki with his enlarged area.
CENSORSHIP!
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:50 pm

Just another thing...don't know if this counts as censorship, or if it has been mentioned before, but...
Viz like, called the One Piece character Zoro for quite a long time, but once the English anime came around, they changed it to Zolo.

Er...even though I have many of the tankoubon and a couple Kanzenban releases, I like the Viz DB releases just for the convenience of reading it in my language, despite all the crappy censorships and whatnot.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:14 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Did anyone read Shaman King this month? That Tanuki had Manta trapped in his "stomach" :x
Who are they trying to fool? They even did a little section in issue 3 on Tanuki, and noted how they can inlarge their *Ahem* "balls", and even showed a color picture with that same Tanuki with his enlarged area.
CENSORSHIP!
The only thing I think of is they thought it was a little more than what was considered "Teen". Kind of like how they wouldn't explain the plot of "Make-Out Paradise". Though when Anna grabbed him, there was no doubt what she was grabbing.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:05 am

Zoro/Zolo - Irks me to no end... Damn you for trying to please 4Kids! [sarcasm]Seriously, go ahead and change all the Shaman King names to their dub counterparts too![/sarcasm]

Tanooki BiZzalls- Wow... I didn't even notice... damn, I have been fooled... :cries:

Black's lips - I have the manga from Spain -100% accurate translation and no edits to the art- and Black has white lips, and a tone to his skin... so, don't give me that! Besides, that's probably the reason he was redesign for "The Path to Power".

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:29 am

Super Sonic wrote:
Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Did anyone read Shaman King this month? That Tanuki had Manta trapped in his "stomach" :x
CENSORSHIP!
The only thing I think of is they thought it was a little more than what was considered "Teen". Kind of like how they wouldn't explain the plot of "Make-Out Paradise". Though when Anna grabbed him, there was no doubt what she was grabbing.
But they actually explained the Tanuki thing in issue 3! It seems they are censoring more and more.
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?