Madman Disc problems on VLC Player?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Madman Disc problems on VLC Player?

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat May 02, 2009 12:36 pm

Is anyone else having trouble playing the Madman Dragon Ball discs on VLC Player? Ever time I try to play them, it just looks like this.

Though I managed to get the first disc working for a little while, I don't know how, but it worked.

Is there a way to fix this? A handful of PAL DVDs seem to play fine on VLC.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sat May 02, 2009 12:38 pm

Did you check for scratches? It could also be your players laser if it's old and worn out

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sat May 02, 2009 12:40 pm

I don't know what the problem is, but I can add the fact that I have other DVDs that do the same thing. Now, when I rip the VOBs off of the DVDs and then play the file in VLC, the blocks and debris is no longer there. Which makes me think it's a hardware-to-software-compatibility issue.

Also, can you please post some more screens from the Madman DB Boxsets? :D

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat May 02, 2009 12:59 pm

I have no space to save VOBs to rip from, but I'll be getting a 1 TB HDD next year, that would be ok, I guess.

The problem is the interlacing, it's HORRIBLE, and hard to get rid of, without VLC it's just riddled with lines.

Also, I just tried Disc one again, it does indeed work, and there are no scratches on any of the discs, I'll check all 22 discs now to see if there are any others that work.

I get all discs working fine on SoftDepo.com's DVD Player, but it has barely any options and had some spyware attached to it.

Here's a few more screenshots for Innagadadavida.

I'm thinking of setting up a second Photobucket account for Dragon Ball related stuff, it'll be public too...
Last edited by The Time Traveller on Sat May 02, 2009 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sat May 02, 2009 1:08 pm

VLC doesn't like my X-Men TAS dvds (and for a period of time neither did my player... 90 video_TS titles? Really Disney?), so it's not uncommon for it to be finicky.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi » Sat May 02, 2009 3:05 pm

Those Madman DVDs look beautiful! You see guys, this is why we hate FUNimation. They have the same exact masters, but somehow, they manage to make them look like crap, when they could easily crop the damaged edges off like they did during the original DVD releases, and encode the video at a decent bitrate with no color modification or strong de-noising at all.

ssjcj
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjcj » Sat May 02, 2009 4:00 pm

Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi wrote:Those Madman DVDs look beautiful! You see guys, this is why we hate FUNimation. They have the same exact masters, but somehow, they manage to make them look like crap, when they could easily crop the damaged edges off like they did during the original DVD releases, and encode the video at a decent bitrate with no color modification or strong de-noising at all.
Madman are not without their problems. Madman actually used the Funimation masters and converted them from NTSC to PAL.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat May 02, 2009 5:05 pm

ssjcj wrote:
Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi wrote:Those Madman DVDs look beautiful! You see guys, this is why we hate FUNimation. They have the same exact masters, but somehow, they manage to make them look like crap, when they could easily crop the damaged edges off like they did during the original DVD releases, and encode the video at a decent bitrate with no color modification or strong de-noising at all.
Madman are not without their problems. Madman actually used the Funimation masters and converted them from NTSC to PAL.
Plus one episode during the Uranai Baba Arc has dubtitles, and there's some strange coding problem on one episode where it shows the first half of the right episode, then the second half the next episode, but it only does it if you select Japanese audio and subtitles on the menu. :lol:

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat May 02, 2009 7:52 pm

Plus, my copies won't play on any of my *counts* 6 DVD players. I'm going to try exchanging them, but knowing Madman it'll be the same with every copy. TimeTraveller has been kind enough to tell me what will probably play them though, so I still have that option.

Madman ballses up a lot of their DVDs. One of the Negima ones I have, every time speaking subtitles and text translating subtitles were on the screen at the same time, the screen went black. Ffffff...

Commander_Red
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Commander_Red » Sat May 02, 2009 9:08 pm

Try FFDshow or Vistacodecs if you don't already have either one. The only trouble I've had was with a non dragonball related dvd from the UK. And it turned out that was due to copy protection, which I think there is hardly any of on madman discs, or at least not to that extent.

Bussani, (edit: nevermind, you're in new zealand..)