Kai Episode 5 (03 May 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Virgil

Post by Virgil » Wed May 06, 2009 12:33 pm

Herms wrote:I belive that line was actually in the episode.
Are you sure, Herms? I recall, at least in DragonBall Z, Piccolo saying that stuff after he tells Gohan "Farewell". In DragonBall Kai, after that, Gohan interrupts him, asking about clothes, foods, etc.

Unless they moved that line, I don't think it was said by Piccolo. Then again, I could be mistaken, but I did double check the episode (and the original) to make sure I didn't miss something.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed May 06, 2009 2:00 pm

I guess it wasn't in there. Though this one is wrong:
Virgil wrote:After Piccolo gives Gohan a new gi like Goku's, he originally had a line that explained the symbol on the back of the gi was that of the "Ma". There's a shot centered in the symbol instead, and the line was removed.
Piccolo says everything in Kai that he does in the manga in this scene.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Wed May 06, 2009 4:55 pm

I noticed Gohan says he cannot survive in the place for 6 months prior to Piccolo even says how much time he is going to let Gohan in there.

Translation mistake, Kai mistake, Toriyama mistake or my mistake? :P

I also noticed Mr. Popo's earrings are red instead of golden in one shot.

One more thing (and yes, I am watching the episode right now) when the dinosaur is chasing Gohan in the original was not sunset was it?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed May 06, 2009 10:25 pm

Senzu_Bean wrote:I noticed Gohan says he cannot survive in the place for 6 months prior to Piccolo even says how much time he is going to let Gohan in there.

Translation mistake (or your mistake :P). Piccolo says he must survive for 6 months first, and I don't think Gohan ever says "6 months" himself.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Ramoro-san
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Yajirobe

Post by Ramoro-san » Wed May 06, 2009 10:54 pm

omegacwa wrote:I agree, I don't recall him sounding that different, and I immediately noticed that Popo's voice was different.
Yeah, Popo took me by surprise. I was like "Holy what now :?: " I'm not sure if I like the new voice. Then again, I'm not sure if I care about the old voice either.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Thu May 07, 2009 7:20 am

Herms wrote:
Senzu_Bean wrote:I noticed Gohan says he cannot survive in the place for 6 months prior to Piccolo even says how much time he is going to let Gohan in there.

Translation mistake (or your mistake :P). Piccolo says he must survive for 6 months first, and I don't think Gohan ever says "6 months" himself.
I knew those subtitles didn't feel right. :P
Ramoro-san wrote:
omegacwa wrote:I agree, I don't recall him sounding that different, and I immediately noticed that Popo's voice was different.
Yeah, Popo took me by surprise. I was like "Holy what now :?: " I'm not sure if I like the new voice. Then again, I'm not sure if I care about the old voice either.
Mr. Popo and Yajirobe voices are pretty weird, but specially the latter. What the hell is that?!

Kak

Post by Kak » Thu May 07, 2009 9:37 pm

Yajirobe sounds very slightly different than he originally did, originally his voice wasn't as quite as high pitched and "squeaky" and he sounded a little bit more like Kuririn, who has the same VA. It's only a small difference, but his voice was originally slightly less annoying.

Yajirobe in DBZ and DB:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YBFI-4tE30#t=3m15s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUJE85P6 ... re=related

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu May 07, 2009 10:18 pm

That sounds much better, hopefully Ms. Tanaka can tweak her voice into that, for the few parts Yajirobe has left.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Thu May 07, 2009 10:22 pm

Has anyone else noticed some almost-DBZ-season-set-style missing line issues in some certain scenes of Kai? They're not nearly as bad as in the season sets (the missing parts seem to be black in Kai, as apposed to a very obvious white). I've noticed this a couple of times throughout the series so far, but this seems to be the best example:

Image <-- Click for Larger Version

And I felt that the colors in this scene stuck out a lot. I can't tell if it has been re-drawn, or simply brightened:

Image<-- Click for Larger Version
Last edited by SSj_Rambo on Fri May 08, 2009 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri May 08, 2009 3:47 am

Thats nothing to do with the remastering process, it's got to do with the animation itself, all throughout the series you'll see examples of this, it's basically the old painting process that was used.

And I think you need your eyes checked if you can't tell that Roshi screencap was a traced :shock:.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Fri May 08, 2009 4:50 am

Also, can you put images THAT big into like... does this forum have spoiler tags?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri May 08, 2009 6:56 am

Captain Awesome wrote: And I think you need your eyes checked if you can't tell that Roshi screencap was a traced :shock:.
It's not nice to say "need to get your eyes checked"...

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri May 08, 2009 7:12 am

sangofe wrote: It's not nice to say "need to get your eyes checked"...
My point was they're both large screenshots, one is traditional cel animation, the other is digital, the differences in clarity and detail are pretty obvious.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri May 08, 2009 1:18 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:And I think you need your eyes checked if you can't tell that Roshi screencap was a traced.
Well, until I see clear proof (a direct comparison to the original) I'm not going to say that it was traced, when it could merely have been re-colored with brighter colors (like Vegeta's armor was). I'd rather ask if something is correct, and find out for sure, than say something is something, and end up being wrong.
DemonRin wrote:Also, can you put images THAT big into like... does this forum have spoiler tags?
My bad. I'll do that first thing when I get home (I'm at school right now, so I can't do it here). Sorry about that, I usually don't think of resizing my screenshots, since it does sometimes take away from the ability to see what I'm pointing out, and with my widescreen monitor, these large screenshots don't stretch the page at all...

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Fri May 08, 2009 2:50 pm

I noticed the Roshi one, it really looks redrawn, but it could have just been recolored

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri May 08, 2009 6:32 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote: Well, until I see clear proof (a direct comparison to the original) I'm not going to say that it was traced, when it could merely have been re-colored with brighter colors (like Vegeta's armor was).
Uh, Vegeta was traced and recoloured, since they weren't just slightly adjusting the colour like they have with the rest of the show, they had to trace him.

I say Roshi is traced because there is an enormous difference in clarity between the new traced scenes and the rather blurry original animation, no amount of adjusting colours up and down is going to make it look like it was animated digitally.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri May 08, 2009 8:08 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:Well, until I see clear proof (a direct comparison to the original) I'm not going to say that it was traced, when it could merely have been re-colored with brighter colors (like Vegeta's armor was).
Uh, Vegeta was traced and recoloured, since they weren't just slightly adjusting the colour like they have with the rest of the show, they had to trace him.

I say Roshi is traced because there is an enormous difference in clarity between the new traced scenes and the rather blurry original animation, no amount of adjusting colours up and down is going to make it look like it was animated digitally.
OK, in my original post I said I couldn't tell if the scene had been completely "re-drawn", or just simply re-colored (which obviously has to include tracing). There's no doubt the lines were traced and from there the patches of color adjusted (I could see that), my question was only was the scene "drawn" differently (not ‘was it traced’) for the intentional purpose of changing something about the image from the original. I could tell that the colors had been adjusted the second I saw the scene, and thus I knew the lines of the frame had to have been traced; I was only wondering if since they went through all of the trouble of assigning an animator to trace the lines, had they also told him to re-draw some portion of the scene, and actually change something other than the colors.

And when I said "traced" in regard to Vegeta's armor, I meant to say "drawn". I knew it had to have been traced for them to change the colors, and I think I had 'traced' stuck in my head from reading the post I was quoting at the time. My bad.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Fri May 08, 2009 8:37 pm

Aren't all scenes traced or redrawn completely?

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri May 08, 2009 9:10 pm

Rod wrote:Aren't all scenes traced or redrawn completely?
No, just scenes with glaringly obvious problems. If all scenes were traced over or redrawn completely, that borders new animation, which they're not doing.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun May 10, 2009 3:31 pm

Topic episode 6 can be put up in my opinion guys/gals.