Kai Episode 7 (17 May 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 7 (17 May 2009)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun May 17, 2009 9:03 am

General Discussion for DragonBall Kai episode 7, aired 17 May 2009

「10倍重力と闘え!悟空よ修行はかけっこだ」
Jû-bai jûryoku to tatakae! Gokû yo shugyô wa kakekko da
Fight against tenfold gravity! Goku, your training is to sprint

PLEASE SAVE DISCUSSION FOR AFTER THE EPISODE HAS AIRED
Last edited by VegettoEX on Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sun May 17, 2009 9:16 am

Same as before. Are the Saiya-jin in the preview?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun May 17, 2009 9:28 am

I'll just repost my notes from the "DBZ being reaired in high-definition" thread:

Episode 7

This episode covered only a single chapter, 211. Technically it covered less than a single chapter, since it began on page 6 of 211.

After the first scene at Kaio’s, there’s a left-in filler scene of Gohan and Piccolo fighting. This leads up to the manga scene where Gohan and Piccolo discuss Piccolo’s grudge against Goku.

In the manga, the narrator says that 40 days pass before Goku catches Bubbles, while in Z and Kai the narrator says only three weeks pass. This is because in Z and Kai, the 40 day period between Goku arriving at Kaio’s planet and Kaio beginning to seriously train Goku is split between Goku catching Bubbles and then Gregory, while in the manga there is only Bubbles.

Much of the filler expanding on Goku’s pursuit of Bubbles is kept in, as are the extra puns of Kaio’s that were added into the anime. Most importantly, the anime shows Goku finally catch Bubbles by figuring out that he can head Bubbles off by running the other way across the planet, since it is so small. In the manga, Goku catches Bubbles simply by getting used to the higher gravity on Kaio’s planet.

After Goku catches Bubbles, in the manga Kaio says that there are 118 days left. Then, after mentioning that Goku just might be able to master the Kaio-ken, he thinks to himself about how even he never could learn the Kaio-ken himself, and he cryptically refers to “that technique”, foreshadowing the Genki-Dama. He then asks Goku if he can handle his training, saying that he will make Goku the best in universe. In Z and Kai, this whole bit is moved to after Goku hits Gregory with the hammer.

There’s another left-in filler scene of Piccolo and Gohan fighting, as well as a filler scene showing Tenshinhan and the others’ training under Kami and Popo. Finally, there’s a very brief, wordless, scene showing Vegeta and Nappa asleep in their spaceships which leads into the eye-catch.

After the eye-catch is the start of a lengthy filler sequence featuring Gregory, who Kaio makes Goku hit with a hammer as the next part of Goku’s training. At this point, Kaio mentions that there are 135 days left until Vegeta and Nappa reach Earth.

After the first part of the Gregory sequence, there’s finally a manga scene where Kami tells Tenshinhan and the others that he has nothing more to teach them, and that they should go back down to Earth to finish their training on their own.

Then it’s back to the Gregory bit: the narrator says that 2 weeks have passed, and Goku succeeds in hitting Gregory. This is where Kaio’s speech to Goku has been moved, only the final part, where Kaio says that they’ll have some tea first before they start training, has been removed.

Next episode: Come Forth, Shenlong! The Saiyans Finally Reach Earth
The next episode preview shows Goku being brought back to life, and Vegeta and Nappa coming out of their spaceships on Earth, so it will cover at least 212-213.

Wasted Wisher said that we will get to see Goku beating up on Nappa by episode 12. Goku starts fighting Nappa in chapter 224, so in order for that to work they'll have to cover about 2.4 chaptes per episode from here on out.
Last edited by Herms on Sun May 17, 2009 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sun May 17, 2009 10:55 am

Good. I'm glad I'm not waiting 20 episodes for the Saiya-jin to get to Earth.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun May 17, 2009 10:56 am

Wasted Wisher said that we will get to see Goku beating up on Nappa by episode 12.
Wow. I didn't think that much was being cut. With the Saban episodes Goku fought Nappa in episode 22! :shock:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun May 17, 2009 1:00 pm

Which dbz episode does this cover? And is it true that some of the dialogue in Kai is toned down vs that of what it is in DBZ?

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun May 17, 2009 1:44 pm

sangofe wrote:Which dbz episode does this cover? And is it true that some of the dialogue in Kai is toned down vs that of what it is in DBZ?
It covers Z 19-20. I haven't noticed any toned down dialogue. It all seems to be just what's said in the manga. Which parts are supposed to be toned down?

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sun May 17, 2009 1:54 pm

I was really disappointed they kept Gregory, but not Krillin's line about Pikkoro eating Gohan. But hey, the Saiyajin are coming next episode!

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun May 17, 2009 1:57 pm

I wonder if they left him in because they thought it would be too much work to remove him from all the manga scenes he's in later, where in the anime he's just been inserted into, just sort of hovering there.

Oh, and the title for episode 8 ("Come Forth, Shenlong! The Saiyans Finally Reach Earth") is the exact same as that of Z episode 21.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sun May 17, 2009 3:53 pm

Herms wrote:I wonder if they left him in because they thought it would be too much work to remove him from all the manga scenes he's in later, where in the anime he's just been inserted into, just sort of hovering there.

Oh, and the title for episode 8 ("Come Forth, Shenlong! The Saiyans Finally Reach Earth") is the exact same as that of Z episode 21.
It's possible, if they did that people would be complaining about him being there with no explanation

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Mon May 18, 2009 1:04 am

The Saiyans?! NEXT EPISODE?!?!

THIS is Why Kai is great!! It will be even better come Namek!!

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Mon May 18, 2009 10:50 am

They might make it by episode 12. Remember, in the manga, the fight with the Saiyans WAS NOT televised. So removing every scene with cameras, reporters, choppers and whatnot is already saving a lot of time. As well as all the scenes of Bulma and the others watching the fight. Factor in that things like Piccolo/Kuririn split form and 'wait for 3 hours' were filler too, it might fit.

Let's not forget that the Raditz fight lasted one episode in Kai cause they skipped all the boring 'Bulma/Roshi/whoever' scenes and stuck to just the fight between Raditz, Piccolo and Goku, like it did in the manga.

Herms

Post by Herms » Mon May 18, 2009 10:54 am

Waiting three hours for Goku to arrive wasn't filler. Nappa taking out an army during those three hours was, though.

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Mon May 18, 2009 12:51 pm

Herms wrote:Waiting three hours for Goku to arrive wasn't filler. Nappa taking out an army during those three hours was, though.
Yeah, that's what I meant. The manga was literaly 'We'll wait 3 hours for Kakarotto to show up'... Three Hours Later....'Ok, he didn't show up, Nappa, kill em all.'

The anime actually wasted a whole episode on those 3 hours.

tlsmith1963

Post by tlsmith1963 » Mon May 18, 2009 10:39 pm

There was a scene in which Gohan couldn't get back up the hill where Piccolo & himself were training, & Gohan started to say a bunch of different words that didn't seem to go together or make any sense. Was he playing that Japanese game where they have to go through the alphabet & say words that go with each letter in the alphabet in order? It seemed to me that that's what Gohan might be doing. Am I right about this, or was it something else?

tlsmith1963

Post by tlsmith1963 » Mon May 18, 2009 10:43 pm

Herms wrote:Waiting three hours for Goku to arrive wasn't filler. Nappa taking out an army during those three hours was, though.
There was a funny scene in DBZ: Abridged when Nappa took out the army. Wow, I love DBZ: Abridged. :lol:

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue May 19, 2009 2:46 am

tlsmith1963 wrote:There was a scene in which Gohan couldn't get back up the hill where Piccolo & himself were training, & Gohan started to say a bunch of different words that didn't seem to go together or make any sense. Was he playing that Japanese game where they have to go through the alphabet & say words that go with each letter in the alphabet in order? It seemed to me that that's what Gohan might be doing. Am I right about this, or was it something else?
Yeah, there was a thread about this way back in the day.

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Tue May 19, 2009 2:58 am

Herms wrote:
tlsmith1963 wrote:There was a scene in which Gohan couldn't get back up the hill where Piccolo & himself were training, & Gohan started to say a bunch of different words that didn't seem to go together or make any sense. Was he playing that Japanese game where they have to go through the alphabet & say words that go with each letter in the alphabet in order? It seemed to me that that's what Gohan might be doing. Am I right about this, or was it something else?
Thanks for the explanation (thread). Usually I see something like that and just write it off as "untranslatable babble," but now that I read the thread I recognize it as a game I've played in English.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue May 19, 2009 8:06 am

I've never heard Tenshinhan's original VA, but this to me sounds strange. Too bad he hasn't said much throughout these episodes for me to make an actual opinion out of it.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

tlsmith1963

Post by tlsmith1963 » Tue May 19, 2009 8:24 am

Herms wrote:
Thanks. I didn't quite get what he was doing correct, but I was on the right track. :)