Kai Blu-Ray Release

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jurik
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jurik » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:56 am

Thanks for taht pics Rambo :P

And I didn't choose the correct emoticon I mean " :P " that the blu ray prices are great!

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:24 am

I love how this topic of Blu-ray regions has been brought up twice in the thread already. I'm guessing it'll be brought up again. :D

Oh, I forgot to mention that Happinet's Official Release Website has been updated. You can check out all of the new details on Kanzentai.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Mystery Person X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystery Person X » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:00 am

The wording on the Happinet site is... interesting. For the Blu-ray release it says "One volume + four boxes in total", and for the DVD release (and the rental DVDs) it says "17 volumes in total; a planned 50 episodes in total".

It really implies that this is the release schedule for the entire series. This seems to be our first indication of an episode count, and it's much lower than expected. Maybe they plan on changing the title for the second half?

EDIT: Actually, I notice it also says at the bottom "Please see the release schedule for details of future releases", which is... vague but could potentially mean this is an incomplete schedule.

EDIT 2: I hate the vagueness of Japanese sometimes. It might just be asking you to look at the "Release Schedule" page (which isn't active yet) for further details of these releases. Or maybe it is details of future releases.

Anyone else want to take a stab?

Mystery Person X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystery Person X » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:14 am

On a less ambiguous note, I notice that box set 1 will have a space to store that first individual disc! :D

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:29 am

Basically, as far as I can tell, they have a release schedule for the first 49 episodes. Nothing on anything past that, but that's likely because they're just not planning that far ahead. It shouldn't be taken as a final episode count for the series.

Budokai23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Budokai23 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:56 pm

I'm confused why they would crop the picture for broadcast in the first place. Why not just air Kai in fullscreen HD? I kinda wish somebody would just give DBZ a true widescreen transfer where you would gain image on the sides without cropping. I know this is possible for movies but is it possible for a cartoon?
Aka gtadbzman.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:09 pm

Budokai23 wrote:I'm confused why they would crop the picture for broadcast in the first place. Why not just air Kai in fullscreen HD? I kinda wish somebody would just give DBZ a true widescreen transfer where you would gain image on the sides without cropping. I know this is possible for movies but is it possible for a cartoon?
Well they could have redrawn the whole series and gain that image without losing anything. I'm not sure drawing extra stuff on the sides would have helped because it would just be trees, clouds and no important info since it was designed as 4:3

Budokai23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Budokai23 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:21 pm

Rod wrote:
Budokai23 wrote:I'm confused why they would crop the picture for broadcast in the first place. Why not just air Kai in fullscreen HD? I kinda wish somebody would just give DBZ a true widescreen transfer where you would gain image on the sides without cropping. I know this is possible for movies but is it possible for a cartoon?
Well they could have redrawn the whole series and gain that image without losing anything. I'm not sure drawing extra stuff on the sides would have helped because it would just be trees, clouds and no important info since it was designed as 4:3
Even if it would just be trees and stuff on the sides, I would still prefer it over a cropped image. They already redrew the whole series so they should've took a little more time to draw the sides so they wouldn't lose any footage. Or they could've squashed the entire frame like what the Arabian black bricks did to fit 16:9 but it probably wouldn't look very good.
Aka gtadbzman.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:25 am

Hujio wrote:I love how this topic of Blu-ray regions has been brought up twice in the thread already. I'm guessing it'll be brought up again. :D

Oh, I forgot to mention that Happinet's Official Release Website has been updated. You can check out all of the new details on Kanzentai.
The great thing about blue-ray is that we don't need a region free player, since Europe, Asia, and North America are Region A.

I just hope that all the censoring is gone, should be... this is a home release and we need da damn blood!

Mystery Person X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystery Person X » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:22 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:Europe, Asia, and North America are Region A.
The Blu-ray map has been featured twice in this thread. How did manage to fail at reading it both times?

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:37 pm

Mystery Person X wrote:
Daimo-Rukiri wrote:Europe, Asia, and North America are Region A.
The Blu-ray map has been featured twice in this thread. How did manage to fail at reading it both times?
I guess they need Super Saiyan glasses :lol:
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi. It has been a while.
It seems that people here were surprised by the news that Kai Blu-rays are going to be in 4:3 ratio, but I was not. In Japan, Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications is now recommending all terrestrial TV channels to broadcast the all new shows in 16:9 format for the sake of transition to digital terrestrial broadcasting. In addition, Wasted wisher said plenty of times that they were re-drawing all scenes in 4:3 and they're not cropped at all. I guess that Toei didn't want to release DB Kai in 16:9 at first but they were forced to. Anyway, it is really nice that we can finally enjoy DB Kai in full screen :D

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:27 pm

kei17 wrote:Hi. It has been a while.
It seems that people here were surprised by the news that Kai Blu-rays are going to be in 4:3 ratio, but I was not. In Japan, Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications is now recommending all terrestrial TV channels to broadcast the all new shows in 16:9 format for the sake of transition to digital terrestrial broadcasting. In addition, Wasted wisher said plenty of times that they were re-drawing all scenes in 4:3 and they're not cropped at all. I guess that Toei didn't want to release DB Kai in 16:9 at first but they were forced to. Anyway, it is really nice that we can finally enjoy DB Kai in full screen :D
I wish they did that in Mexico :cry:

Here broadcasters crop, stretch or add black bars to their shows to give the illusion of 16:9, of course they forget to take their logo off the black bars so widescreen TVs are useless, you get a smaller image and 4 black bars :?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:34 pm

kei17 wrote:Hi. It has been a while.
Welcome back, we missed you ever so much!!

Interesting. 16:9 in Kai rarely if ever looks bad so I don't mind it. It's really become a situation similar to the films...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:12 pm

@kei17: Man, it's awesome to have you back with! By the way, how would you describe Japanese fans' reactions and opinions of Kai so far?

And the way Happinet answered the "Why are the DVDs at 16:9 while the Blu-rays are at 4:3" question over on their website (read translations/summaries over at Kanzentai) makes me almost think they're including a 16:9 viewing option. The words "the full 4:3 picture has been included on the Blu-rays" in particular make me think that they are saying 4:3 footage is available in the release on top of other stuff.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Welcome back, we missed you ever so much!!
SSj_Rambo wrote:@kei17: Man, it's awesome to have you back with! By the way, how would you describe Japanese fans' reactions and opinions of Kai so far?
Thanks. Well, it's not bad, but also not good. There are many people complain about each line point by point.
There are tons of "Ah they cut that line now it sucks." like posts on 2channel.
However, it seems that the problem that annoys Japanese fans most is the BGM.
Everyone is now missing Shunsuke Kikuchi's score.
And the way Happinet answered the "Why are the DVDs at 16:9 while the Blu-rays are at 4:3" question over on their website (read translations/summaries over at Kanzentai) makes me almost think they're including a 16:9 viewing option. The words "the full 4:3 picture has been included on the Blu-rays" in particular make me think that they are saying 4:3 footage is available in the release on top of other stuff.
I read the original sentence on the official page.
Blu-rayでは、カットされた部分を含めて鑑賞したいという、ユーザー様のために、4:3フル画面で収録しました!
This just means "The Blu-ray release will be in 4:3 format for the sake of fans who want the show in full screen" and does not includes such meaning. You read too much into it. :wink:

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:08 am

Just for reminder. If you want to buy Kai Boxset 1, go for it while it's still cheap.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:27 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Just for reminder. If you want to buy Kai Boxset 1, go for it while it's still cheap.
My brothers getting it. :D

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:13 am

kei17 wrote:...it seems that the problem that annoys Japanese fans most is the BGM.
I can see why people would think that because the Z BGM is a classic. However, I like the Kai BGM a lot and can't wait for the OST to come out. It'll hold me over until a couple months later when I have the Blu-Rays.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:05 pm

kei17 wrote: However, it seems that the problem that annoys Japanese fans most is the BGM.
I think that's the same for all fans :lol:

Not that Kai's score is bad, but Kikuchi's was legendary.