DBKai: Freeza Saga and The Five Minute Mark

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Wasted Wisher
Not-So-Newbie

DBKai: Freeza Saga and The Five Minute Mark

Post by Wasted Wisher » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:06 pm

So, first things first: Kuririn has Yajirobe's sword on Vegeta by Kai Episode 17. Just so you know more or less when the Saiya-jin arc wraps up. After this is the epilogue and almost seamless segue into the Freeza arc.

Which brings me to thinking: I wonder how Kai will handle the whole "The planet will blow up in five minutes!" scene when it finally comes to that.

Here are the possibilities:

1. It will actually take place in five minutes.
Likelihood: low.
Even if the planet at least starts to shudder by the time five minutes elapses, I'd be happy. (They were able to do it more or less in the "Sparking" games, so why not in the show?) But for some reason, I doubt that will happen.

2. They'll cut out the "five minutes" line.
That way, Goku and Freeza can duke it out until Namek finally starts coming apart.

3.They'll leave the "five minutes" line as-is, and the fight will still drag on (pun not intended) for longer than five minutes (in real time, any way), but at least all the filler will be cut out so that it still be considerably shorter than the original DBZ episodes. (Whew.)

Let me know what you guys think!
Last edited by Wasted Wisher on Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:18 pm

I'm hoping for #3. The fight's still sort of long in the Manga so depending upon how many chapters per episodes they'll be doing, I can see it taking about three episodes.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Rod
Regular

Re: DBKai: Freeza Saga and The Five Minute Mark

Post by Rod » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:20 pm

Wasted Wisher wrote:2. They'll cut out the "five minutes" line.
That way, Goku and Freeza can duke it out until Namek finally starts coming apart.
I think this is what they'll do, or maybe they'll change it to a few minutes

I would love it if the fight actually took five minutes, but it really is very unlikely. #3 also seems likely to happen

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:45 pm

An actual five minute real-time fight would be ridiculous for a fight that holds so much clout in the series. I say #3 where they just shorten the episode count.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:46 pm

I can see the fight taking place within the confines of nearly 2 episodes, with the end of the second one having the planet actually explode.
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

SweetCosmicPope
Beyond Newbie

Post by SweetCosmicPope » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:53 pm

I think they'll surely cut the fight down quite a bit, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a mix between #2 and #3. Cut the line out, or alter it by having Freeza say "the planet will explode shortly" or something to that effect. Then they'll cut down on the filler and just have the crazy brutal fight we've all come to love.
"That's Peter Grave's Scat! I'd recognize it anywhere!" - The Film Crew

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:08 pm

17 episodes sounds like a pretty good pace for the Saiyan Saga.

As for the Freeza fight, I'm gonna say option 3 is most likely. I mean, various line edits and bits of filler aside, they've actually been sticking to the manga pretty well, especially in terms of things like order. Recent anime tend to move around some chapters or events covered in the manga, but that was never the case with DBZ, so it would make sense for Kai to follow suit. Chances are, they'll just end up cutting out a good chunk of filler bits in the fight (ie: Goku bitch slapping Freeza :P) making for the fight lasting for about an episode--maybe an episode and a half, tops.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:26 pm

Episode 17, huh? Sadly that's only 50% cut out of the series so far, so this seems to contradict the 100 episode rumour. Sorry that I went off topic, just wanted to comment on that.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:37 pm

Well, there IS a slew of filler almost directly following Vegeta's defeat. If Kai #17 is up to Z #35, then logically Kai #19 will be up to Z #45 or so.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:39 pm

sangofe wrote:Episode 17, huh? Sadly that's only 50% cut out of the series so far, so this seems to contradict the 100 episode rumour. Sorry that I went off topic, just wanted to comment on that.
Not necessarily. The later arcs are filler-ridden. Just taking out Garlic Jr. and Otherworld Tournament, along with shortening the Freeza fight (or "Season 3" in Funi terms) will lose about 50 episodes.

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:40 pm

Adamant wrote:Well, there IS a slew of filler almost directly following Vegeta's defeat. If Kai #17 is up to Z #35, then logically Kai #19 will be up to Z #45 or so.
With the current ratio (17:35), Kai #19 is basically Z #39.
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:04 pm

I'd say option 2, he won't say his line and the fight will go on as planned without estimated time for the destruction of the planet.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:32 pm

Freeza Heika wrote: With the current ratio (17:35), Kai #19 is basically Z #39.
Z #39 is filler.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:46 pm

Well, Frieza even exclaimed that it was taking much longer than 5 minutes to explode, so I think they will simply cut out most of the filler and thus, reducing the fight's length from the original anime.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:50 pm

How many chapters is the fight in the manga? I mean, after they fly off from the ship to start fighting. If the 2 1/2 to 3 chapters per episode thing continues, how many episodes /should/ it be?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:11 pm

Adamant wrote:
Freeza Heika wrote: With the current ratio (17:35), Kai #19 is basically Z #39.
Z #39 is filler.
There were some all filler epidodes in the first 35 episodes of Z as well, so that fact that #39 is filler doesn't affect the average.
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: DBKai: Freeza Saga and The Five Minute Mark

Post by Herms » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:15 pm

Wasted Wisher wrote:2. They'll cut out the "five minutes" line.
I hope they do this. I never liked the "5 minute" line itself. This is supposed to be the big, final, epic showdown. Why slap a time-limit on it?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:56 pm

B wrote:How many chapters is the fight in the manga? I mean, after they fly off from the ship to start fighting. If the 2 1/2 to 3 chapters per episode thing continues, how many episodes /should/ it be?
Eight chapters passed from when the five minutes was announced until Freeza was "killed" by Goku. The first chapter being the one where he actually announces the five minutes.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:03 am

If they pace it like the manga, it should be fine. It sure wasn't five minutes, but it was much more succinct and the sense of impending peril never faded, rather than adopting the anime's sense of, "ho hum, has the planet blown up yet?"
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:32 am

They could probably do the "five minutes" in two fast-paced episodes and make most of us happy with it.