Kai Episode 12 (21 June 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jurik
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jurik » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:11 pm

Wait a sec, there's not Goku's blue shirt on his chest :roll:

Kai_fan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kai_fan » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:26 pm

DBZ all gets real ugly if you're going to start looking at it frame by frame.

Jurik
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jurik » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:31 pm

Kai_fan wrote:DBZ all gets real ugly if you're going to start looking at it frame by frame.
It was only a comment, i love KAI and DBZ, I really don't care if it looks ugly...

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:00 pm

Gotta say, I'm loving 'ole bucktooth Vegeta.

-Corey

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:20 pm

Now that the Case of the New Frames that Look Like the Old Frames has been solved, let's find something new to complain about!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:49 pm

So a shitty scene is made slightly shittier.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:27 pm

B wrote:So a shitty scene is made slightly shittier.
It doesn't look horrible in motion. A lot of what was screencapped there is shown for about half a second.
(they/she)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:09 pm

B wrote:So a shitty scene is made slightly shittier.
The point is, why even redraw these scenes if they aren't improving them? I mean, there is even less shading, which makes the original scene have more depth. I mean why make it worse? Even if it's a very small amount it is still a waste...

They should be improving it, and so far these redrawn scenes have not delivered on that front. Most of the time they look similar, but there are some scenes where it does look worse to various degrees. I mean, Dragon Ball Kai has definitely topped Lost Universe in the category of most jarring cel to digital animation transitions.

All the redrawing is doing, is making the already inconsistently animated Z look even more inconsistent.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:22 pm

Well, apparently their just as bad in the original, hopefully they'll correct them when they air, like Tenshinhan's Kikoho

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:45 pm

I dread the day they air the equivalent of Z 121 :?

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:38 am

Damn, cant wait for next episode.

Goku is going to wreck some shit.

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:30 am

Rod wrote:Well, apparently their just as bad in the original, hopefully they'll correct them when they air, like Tenshinhan's Kikoho
Doubt that...they don't redraw the scenes, they just trace all over them like some amateur from Newgrounds... I really wish they took Dragonball Kai seriously and started to put some effort in the redrawn stuff.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:15 pm

That requires money they don't have.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:53 pm

Good lord, is this show going to be canceled anytime soon? It seems the redrawn scenes are getting even WORSE than before.

Here's hoping the ratings just utterly tank, so they can quit at the end of the Vegeta saga.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:15 pm

Smooth Criminal wrote:Good lord, is this show going to be canceled anytime soon? It seems the redrawn scenes are getting even WORSE than before.

Here's hoping the ratings just utterly tank, so they can quit at the end of the Vegeta saga.
Wow, harsh much? Don't like it, don't watch it. You'll have less of an excuse to allow such negative thoughts into your heart.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:32 pm

Smooth Criminal wrote:Good lord, is this show going to be canceled anytime soon? It seems the redrawn scenes are getting even WORSE than before.

To quote a post from a different thread...
jjgp1112 wrote:I'm at a loss of words. How fucking elitist and asinine can you possibly be? :roll: God, can't you accept the fact that people actually like something you don't like? I mean seriously, you sound like an asshole right now.
I fee that this sums up my feelings toward your post rather well.
(they/she)

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:59 pm

Smooth Criminal wrote:Good lord, is this show going to be canceled anytime soon?
It hasn't dropped out of the top 10 in anime ratings since its debut, so no, not any time soon. Sorry.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:36 am

After finally watching this episode (why is summer seeming more busy than the school year?!), I definitely have some thoughts to say, more so than any episode since probably the first one.

First off, I am VERY pissed off with how lightly they handled Piccolo's death!! Yamcha's death got better treatment!! :x Man, Piccolo's death as it properly appeared in the end episode 027 of DBZ was beautiful, and the way it was recapped in the beginning of episode 028 with top-notch animation was one of the reasons episode 028 was voted one of the best episodes of any anime aired on TV that year in Japan (and that footage was cut from Kai completely!!).

Though, I'm sure that most of you will agree with me in saying that Goku's arrival theme was an excellent addition to the new score. :D

The music used during Nappa and Goku's fight, however, did not fit the necessary mood at all. The piece was way too happy and diddly-doodly-daddly, whereas the moment was a very powerful and intense one, with a lot of deep significance that I felt was not shown in Kai like it was in Z; or even in the manga for that matter. The music in the middle of their encounter (the one with the deep drum beats), I felt was fitting enough for my liking. The techno piece that played after that was appropriate for a modern version of Z, which is what this is, so I guess it fit. The slower piece that followed I liked, mainly because I felt it properly conveyed the depth and meaning of Goku's handling of Nappa.

Oh ya, the re-animated scenes, they were definitely hard to miss, and didn't really add anything to episode animation~quality-wise, but it is nice to see that they're putting in the effort to re-draw so much. If only they took the liberty of actually re-drawing the stuff, and not just tracing and recoloring; it would fix a lot of the crappy animation!

And the fan-sub I watched accidentally used their German subs for Yeah! Break! Care! Break! Random.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:15 am

I feel greeeen...!! Seriously... why the sky is always green in this fight instead of blue?
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:52 am

SSj_Rambo wrote:
Though, I'm sure that most of you will agree with me in saying that Goku's arrival theme was an excellent addition to the new score. :D
Not really, the theme reminded me of Star Trek, doesn't sound like something that came off DBverse.