The Horrible Decisions of Dimps

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

The Horrible Decisions of Dimps

Post by Thanos » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:18 pm

All right. While I'm aware of the fact that many people prefer the Budokai series to the Sparking! series, it is difficult to argue for the awful decisions Dimps has made. Let's take a look at the big flops and lapses in judgment this development team has made:

Budokai:
-Pathetically simplistic fighting-engine
-Poor character models
-Abysmal effects and miscoloured attacks
-Wrong forms for characters (Super Saiyajin 2 Trunks; what?)

Budokai 2:
-Boring, repetitive, uninspired, unfaithfully-plotted board game Story Mode (I know Mike likes it--but that's pretty much it)
-Little improvement over the simplistic fighting-engine
-Missing character stages (only Freeza & Cell's final-forms available; lame)
-Superfluous fusions & characters (Tiencha, Gotan, Majin Freeza and Cell, Super Buu absorbing Vegeta, Cell, Freeza), which the time taken to develop and plan could've been used practically

My only complaint with Budokai 3:
-Questionable character options (SSJ4 Goku & Vegeta transformations to DBZ forms)

Infinite World:
-Hideous opening-cinematic and cutscenes (definitely a far-cry from the beautiful animated ones from the previous Budokai games)
-Little to no improvement over Budokai 3 system
-Tedious, unnecessary and overly-simplistic minigames
-No Tournament Mode (wtf?)
-Some characters taken out, same amount of new ones added to total the exact same amount of characters as Budokai 3.

I don't really have any problems with original Shin Budokai.

Shin Budokai 2:
-Ridiculous original storyline
-Sinfully-horrid and nearly impossible map overview mode (with the main object being the prevention of enemies from destroying buildings... gimme a break!)
-Seemingly random character additions
-Literally NO improvements or additions to the gameplay mechanics over the first game

Burst Limit:
-Ugly, amateur menu design
-Laughable pseudo customization of drama-piece options for stagnant gameplay pauses
-Again, no tournament mode (wtf x2?)
-Measly character roster
-Goes only to the Cell Saga
-Decidedly no Downloadable Content

I know the Sparking! games aren't perfect, but Dimps has a track record of poor decisions when it comes to their games. At least Spike seems to listen (to an extent) to their fans and they improve upon features instead of changing them to something equally lame.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:50 pm

I liked Budokai 2's Board Game story mode. I also liked the What-if Fusions and Absorptions.

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:54 pm

I LOVED the what if fusions from Budokai 2, but I really HATED the board game. There was way too much chasing and back tracking involved for my taste.
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:12 pm

In this thread:
Butthurt Sparking! fan attacks Dimps because he's pissed that Raging Blast will suck just as hard as Meteor!.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:15 pm

Rory wrote:In this thread:
Butthurt Sparking! fan attacks Dimps because he's pissed that Raging Blast will suck just as hard as Meteor!.
This sounds about right.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:21 pm

I agree, though I wouldn't say it so harshly. What point does this thread serve other then bashing the Budokai series?
­

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:27 pm

Taku128 wrote:What point does this thread serve other then bashing the Budokai series?
Very little, if anything. Every game series has its flaws.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Re: The Horrible Decisions of Dimps

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:33 pm

Thanos wrote:All right. While I'm aware of the fact that many people prefer the Budokai series to the Sparking! series, it is difficult to argue for the awful decisions Dimps has made. Let's take a look at the big flops and lapses in judgment this development team has made:

Budokai 2:
-Boring, repetitive, uninspired, unfaithfully-plotted board game Story Mode (I know Mike likes it--but that's pretty much it)
-Missing character stages (only Freeza & Cell's final-forms available; lame)
-Superfluous fusions & characters (Tiencha, Gotan, Majin Freeza and Cell, Super Buu absorbing Vegeta, Cell, Freeza), which the time taken to develop and plan could've been used practically.

Infinite World:
-Hideous opening-cinematic and cutscenes (definitely a far-cry from the beautiful animated ones from the previous Budokai games)
-Little to no improvement over Budokai 3 system
-Tedious, unnecessary and overly-simplistic minigames
-No Tournament Mode (wtf?)
-Some characters taken out, same amount of new ones added to total the exact same amount of characters as Budokai 3.
I don't have a problem with gameboard... IMO, they are unique. There was no DB gameboeard game system before, if I remember correctly. Give them a break, please.

Infinit World's opening was overly awesome! So much better than Sparking! Meteor one. I think mini games are very creative. I actually enjoy playing these.

Interesting that you didn't include Saga. Why? Was it because you view it as a perfexct DBZ you have wanted for so many years?
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:43 am

Aaaand we have a winner.

This topic makes my head hurt, especially since the majority of your criticisms apply (and in most cases more so) to the Sparking! series, but whatever, blow off that pent up frustration, Dimps has wronged us all.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:17 am

Thanos wrote:I know the Sparking! games aren't perfect, but Dimps has a track record of poor decisions when it comes to their games.
Spike made a much bigger mistake than Dimps - they made the 'Sparking' series. :P

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:35 am

Hey, fuck you. BT3 rocked.

IW rocked too. *huggles GT Vegeta*

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:38 am

Thanos wrote:Budokai:
-Poor character models
-Wrong forms for characters (Super Saiyajin 2 Trunks; what?)
I disagree on both of those counts. I think that considering they were 3D models done in a 2002 game, Dimps did quite a good job. Far better than other 3D models done by games like GT: Final Bout (which, yeah, Ps1 game) and Sagas, IMHO. Also, look back more carefully, Trunks didn't have Super Saiyan 2 (he does in Budokai 2, Budokai 3, and Infinite World), just the bulked USSJ forms; the only character in Budokai 1 to have SSJ2 is Gohan.
Thanos wrote:Budokai 2:
-Superfluous fusions & characters (Tiencha, Gotan, Majin Freeza and Cell, Super Buu absorbing Vegeta, Cell, Freeza), which the time taken to develop and plan could've been used practically
Strongly disagreed on those first two counts. I actually rather enjoyed (and still do) Budokai 2's story mode; in comparing to almost all the other 10 Ps2 games released, it's an original breath of fresh air that can be very funny and quite neat in how it's designed and played out. Okay, no movies/specials or GT stuff, but I find it fun. And as for "little improvement", what game were you playing? There were various areas of improving in the fighting engine, it was actually awesome compared to the first Budokai. And why complain about the What-If Fusions/Forms, it's like taking time to complain about What-If story takes, Tiencha/Yamhan and Gocule/Gotan own IMO.
Thanos wrote:Infinite World:
A "far cry"? Okay, now in my honest opinion, the opening sequence is tons better than any of the slow-heaving, bland-action crud the Sparking!/Budokai Tenkaichi games gave us (I swear, Budokai Tenkaichi 2's must've had Windows Movie Maker transitions). As for the cut-scenes... you're implying them to be inferior to the prior Budokai games, but the only prior Budokai game to have genuine cut-scenes was Budokai 1. I wouldn't say Infinite World is as good as the clear effort that went into Budokai, but some mouth-flap issues aside, I found them pretty dang awesome (even if there could've been more). I certainly liked them better than the cheap stuff the Sparking! games served up which, aside from about 8 fan-service shows in Budokai Tenkaichi 2, was mostly "standing around talkin', waiting to take a wizz".
Thanos wrote:-Tedious, unnecessary and overly-simplistic minigames
In your opinion. I like 'em, most of them anyway (excluding the levels where we fly around through rings...). They add on to the game and noticeably help make it more than "a Budokai 3 clone".
Thanos wrote:-Some characters taken out, same amount of new ones added to total the exact same amount of characters as Budokai 3.
Eh, not the exact same amount. Not counting fusions & transformations/forms (and the Piccolo Daimao alternate skin available in Budokai 3 Greatest Hits), Budokai 3 had 38, whereas Infinite World has 42. Let's look back:

Removed characters:
Kid Goku (Original DB)
Supreme Kai
Uub (End of Z)
Cell Jr.
[Removed form; Kabitoshin, Supreme Kai's potara fusion]

Added characters:
GT Goku (Chibi form) ~ [Transformations: Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 3, & Super Saiyan 4; can merge into Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta]
GT Vegeta ~ [Transformations: Super Saiyan & Super Saiyan 4; can merge into Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta]
Great Saiyaman #2 (Saiyagirl)
Pan (GT)
Pikkon
Janemba
Super Baby-Vegeta 2
Super 17
[Added form; Syn Shenron, Omega's base state]
Last edited by Conan the SSJ on Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
14 years later

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:53 am

I also really like Budokai 2 plotted board Story Mode. I am also wishing a future DBZ game as something like that. However Budokai 1 is awful.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:37 am

Rocketman wrote:IW rocked too. *huggles GT Vegeta*
I fear what you'd do to "He's Always Late" Chichi. :wink:
14 years later

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:40 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Interesting that you didn't include Sagas. Why? Was it because you view it as a perfexct DBZ you have wanted for so many years?
Because it's not a Budokai game...?
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:08 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Interesting that you didn't include Sagas. Why? Was it because you view it as a perfexct DBZ you have wanted for so many years?
So Burst Limit is some kind of Budokai game?
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Kaiser Gogeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaiser Gogeta » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:16 pm

For clarification, Budokai 1 didn't have SSJ2 Trunks, it had Super Trunks 2, the buffed up form Trunks took when he fought Perfect Cell.

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:07 pm

Oh please. Don't make me laugh.

I love the Budokai games. This isn't criticizing the DBZ games at all; it's criticizing the decisions made regarding the games. Besides, I'm very excited for Raging Blast, and I think it will be better than the Sparking! games. Don't assume I hate those games because you do. Look up "personal opinions" somewhere. It's very important to comprehending reality. :P

Anyone who says 'butthurt' should be drug out to the street and shot. I think the ones being "butthurt" are you goddamn Budokai purists who hate to hear anything negative about things they like.

It's not about being a Budokai game, it's about being a DBZ game developed by Dimps. Don't be an ignorant prick in my topic, please!
Conan the SSJ wrote:A "far cry"? Okay, now in my honest opinion, the opening sequence is tons better than any of the slow-heaving, bland-action crud the Sparking!/Budokai Tenkaichi games gave us (I swear, Budokai Tenkaichi 2's must've had Windows Movie Maker transitions). As for the cut-scenes... you're implying them to be inferior to the prior Budokai games, but the only prior Budokai game to have genuine cut-scenes was Budokai 1. I wouldn't say Infinite World is as good as the clear effort that went into Budokai, but some mouth-flap issues aside, I found them pretty dang awesome (even if there could've been more). I certainly liked them better than the cheap stuff the Sparking! games served up which, aside from about 8 fan-service shows in Budokai Tenkaichi 2, was mostly "standing around talkin', waiting to take a wizz".
Dude. This isn't about the Sparking! games either. The only reason people compare the two series is because of the stupid American marketing to put Budokai in the titles of the Sparking! games. They're completely different.

I do agree that the Sparking! games have horrible cinematics, but that's not the point. The point is that for three games, they gave us beautiful, hand-drawn anime-styled opening cinematics, then for Infinite World, they decide to give us some half-assed CG opening cutscene.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:25 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
The Tori-bot wrote:
This whole topic is goofy, but allow me to interject this bit:

The Budokai games and Burst Limit were developed by Dimps. Sagas was not. *points to topic name*

That is all.

-Corey

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:27 pm

Burst Limit:
-Ugly, amateur menu design
-Laughable pseudo customization of drama-piece options for stagnant gameplay pauses
-Again, no tournament mode (wtf x2?)
-Measly character roster
-Goes only to the Cell Saga
-Decidedly no Downloadable Content
Not to mention the lack of stages, costumes, and attention to detail. If you're gonna do cut-scenes then at least do them right!

Ok guys...Say what you will about this thread but you gotta admit (aside from the pretty graphics and music) they could have done a much better job with Burst Limit. Especially after Budokai 3. I mean I'd have been happy if they took Infinite World and gave it Burst Limit's graphics but Burst Limit was just unacceptable. Especially for 60 dollars? Fuck outta here....and now their doing the same shit with Raging Blast. Where does the milking end... :?
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.