Dragon Ball Season 1- Review, Screenshots, and Contest

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Dragon Ball Season 1- Review, Screenshots, and Contest

Post by MarcFBR » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:07 am

Other thread was getting a bit to long and unwieldy, so I'm making a new one... 'sticks out tongue'

I got the set, reviewed it, and made a ton of screenshots.

Enjoy!

http://www.fanboyreview.net/2009/08/29/ ... ookreview/

Also, giving away a copy of the set, and some other mystery DB/Z prizes.

http://www.fanboyreview.net/2009/08/31/ ... agon-ball/
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:36 am

Like I've already said elsewhere, it sounds like a great set. I'm impressed. Even though I own the Madman sets already, I'll probably get these blue bricks due to the higher quality and...well...the fact that they'll probably work on more players than the Madman sets do.

I might just enter the contest this time, but even if I won, I don't know if I'd take the set.. For my own personal, silly reasons.

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:38 am

Thanks! I appreciated the review. Do you have any info on the booklet's accuracy? Some of the previous booklets had annoying errors, such as inaccurate "first appearance" info.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:19 am

I really enjoyed your review and I'm overjoyed to hear that they're encoded in progressive. I also sent in my entry for the contest earlier today! *Crosses fingers!*

SSVegetto
Banned

Post by SSVegetto » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:33 am

Terrible review, because there is no dragon box comparison pictures. Which leads to a problem a down the line if Funimation releases dragon box sets. We have no idea if we should purchase this first or what to expect. Funimation has confused their Dragonball fans once again. Is this release for the fans that aren't hardcore or hardcore? Funimation has setup the milking bar once again.

And they put the Japanese audio only at 96k!?

Also, did they redub the English audio for the first 13 episodes to sound more uncut? I noticed when watching the madman Australian dvds. The English dub is not even as uncut as the Japanese dub. Not the video, but the translations. You didn't tell us anything about the subtitles either. It leaves us with more questions.

For example: Roshi was talking about giving his undewear to Bulma. You never hear that in the English dub.
This question remains unanswered for us. All you did say was the dub was good. And you didn't provide examples?

I mean you did tell us that most of the detail in the video stayed in, but how do we know. We don't know this without a comparison between the madman sets Funimation released, then there was the dragon box sets we need comparison pictures for. You can't just tell us this stuff without any proof. I'm happy that we got screen shots, but to me it still feels like an incomplete review.

Bottom line is should we wait for the dragon box set? If they do plan to release them? That is what I was looking for in this review. And I didn't get it. Unless you aimed this for the Dragonball fans that aren't as hard core. Then I guess it would be a great review for the average Joe Schmoe that comes along. Again, don't take this personal. I'm just stating what I think people need to hear.

Even in the comments section people are confused. The first thing they mention is the Dragon box.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:50 am

I'm not comparing the set to a release we may or may not get, nor a foreign release that had numerous video problems.

I review for what it is.

It's a Dragon Ball boxset. We have no news about a Dbox of it in the USA, so I'm not bringing it up, because it's not relevant to it.

And 96k isn't odd either. It's standard for Funi mono tracks on DVD, their 5.1 tracks are generally 448k, which averages to about 90 per channel.

You're trying to find issues that don't exist.

I have no problems with calling Funi on shit, and complaining about YOUR feelings on a dub when the Japanese track is there, uncut, with subtitles, is the worst kind of nitpicking.

I'm reviewing what there, is based on what I know, and what's available to the average person.

Going, 'oh shit, this sucks, cause there's a better release in Japan' doesn't do, or mean anything for the average person.

I love the Dragon Boxes as much as plenty of other people. This set is exactly what is demanded of Funi, so I'm not gonna knock them based on what may or may not happen.

The DB/Z/GT fan's wanted 4:3 footage, Japanese version subbed, and all the episodes in order.

I only bring up foreign/alternate releases of a show when there is an obvious, and notable problem in ours.

If it's not good enough, then go wait for the Dbox, it's not what I reviewed.

This is what we wanted, asked for, and demanded, at a great price.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:22 am

It's one thing to wonder how these sets compare, quality wise, to the Dragon Boxes. But that doesn't make it a bad review for not making that comparison. Not at all. Apart from the fact that we don't know if we'll be getting DB Dboxes, we don't even know exactly what the US DBoxes will be like yet.

The review tells you what you need to know. It's uncut, the quality is better than expected, it's not missing any episodes and it's 4:3. There's really nothing to complain about when talking about these specific sets. What FUNi does or doesn't do next is a different matter entirely.

b_boult
Beyond Newbie

Post by b_boult » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:11 am

Would you be able to clarify the region situation for us please? Early reports suggested that this release was only supporting regions 1-4, and skipping out on region 2 altogether. If this is the case, could you "test" out the DVDs in the region 2 setting on your computer, just to see if they'll work anyway (this can sometimes happen with FUNimation DVDs and I'd be much obliged)?

Thanks.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:29 am

b_boult wrote:Would you be able to clarify the region situation for us please? Early reports suggested that this release was only supporting regions 1-4, and skipping out on region 2 altogether.
Region 1 and 4

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:12 am

WHAT?! NO 2?!!

Scan the back of the box for us to see with our own eyes.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:52 am

Good review.

Despite already owning the entirety of DB in the form of the Madman sets, I am actually tempted to buy this, the hook for me is a nice solid progressive encode, Madman's PAL conversions have always been a bit shaky and there were some severe macroblocking problems on some of the discs, this looks like a definite improvement.

I am hesitant however because of the possibility of a Dragonbox release, I really don't want to triple dip.

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Levlik » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:28 am

Can you confirm whether or not the missing insert songs were again left out of the dub? I'd appreciate it.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:35 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:WHAT?! NO 2?!!

It's regions 1&4.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

kusakun004
Beyond Newbie

Post by kusakun004 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:36 am

Could you possibly scan the back cover of the set? I want to know if the series is rated TV-PG or TV-14.
GT is underrated and the International Channel will always be my favorite channel for foreign programming. I still miss it.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:38 am

kusakun004 wrote:Could you possibly scan the back cover of the set? I want to know if the series is rated TV-PG or TV-14.
It's rated TV 14.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

kusakun004
Beyond Newbie

Post by kusakun004 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:40 am

Raki wrote:
kusakun004 wrote:Could you possibly scan the back cover of the set? I want to know if the series is rated TV-PG or TV-14.
It's rated TV 14.
Wow, FUNi has never given anything Dragonball-related a TV-14. Must be the earlier episodes forced them to put that on there.
GT is underrated and the International Channel will always be my favorite channel for foreign programming. I still miss it.

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:51 am

Never trust the TV rating on a Funi DVD, anyway. They kinda just throw whatever the hell they want on there. The YYH dub comes to mind. They gave the sets a TV PG rating, despite the fact that one in every few lines has foul language, Yusuke's a little perv, and Chu drops the F bomb. No way in hell that you could air that on US television with that rating.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:02 am

Raki wrote:

It's regions 1&4.
WHY FUNIMATION?! WH~~~~~~~Y?!!!

YOU LEFT Z AND GT 1,2 & 4... AND AUSTRALIA HAVE MADMAN FOR THEM... WHY EXCLUDE REGION 2 WHO HAVE NO ONE TO DISTRUBTE YOUR PRODUCTS IN THEIR COUNTRIES? WHY 1 & 4 ONLY?!!

Dragon Boxes... NOOOOOOOO~~~~~~~!!!!!!!

Someone: "Get yourself a region-free DVD player."
Me: "I WANT TO WATCH IT ON MY LAPTOB AS I LOVE TO!!"
Someone: "Make your player region-free with "yada yada" software."
Me: "I WANT TO WATCH IT WITHOUT THESE COMPLICATED SOFTWARES THAT DOES'NT WORK NO MATTER WHAT!!!"
Someone: "............................................................. $#%! off you baby :x !!"
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:04 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:
Raki wrote:

It's regions 1&4.
WHY FUNIMATION?! WH~~~~~~~Y?!!!

YOU LEFT Z AND GT 1,2 & 4... AND AUSTRALIA HAVE MADMAN FOR THEM... WHY EXCLUDE REGION 2 WHO HAVE NO ONE TO DISTRUBTE YOUR PRODUCTS IN THEIR COUNTRIES? WHY 1 & 4 ONLY?!!

Dragon Boxes... NOOOOOOOO~~~~~~~!!!!!!!

Someone: "Get yourself a region-free DVD player."
Me: "I WANT TO WATCH IT ON MY LAPTOB AS I LOVE TO!!"
Someone: "Make your player region-free with "yada yada" software."
Me: "I WANT TO WATCH IT WITHOUT THESE COMPLICATED SOFTWARES THAT DOES'NT WORK NO MATTER WHAT!!!"
Someone: "............................................................. $#%! off you baby :x !!"
To be Fair, VLC Media player will break Region no problem, and it's not complicated at all.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:10 am

So I'm guessing we don't have alternate angles for this release?