Why go to Namek?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

penguintruth
Banned

Why go to Namek?

Post by penguintruth » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:48 pm

It occurs to me, that, instead of going through all that trouble to go to Namek to collect the Dragon Balls, they just could have had King Kai telepathically contact the Namekians, telling them to gather the Dragon Balls, and make the wish for ressurection of characters that way? It's shown that he can do this with anyone, as he spoke to Krillin without even knowing him.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:54 pm

I doubt they would even listen to Kaio at that point. None of them knew the reasons, so I'm sure they would be reluctant to just gather them and do what a stranger wants them to do.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:57 pm

Well, yes, he could have, but:

1. Freeza and his minions were going to the planet anyway. Who's to say the Namekians would know where to find the Dragon Balls? And even if they did, wouldn't Freeza and his minions kill them in order to take the Dragon Balls for themselves? Without Gohan, Krillin, Goku and the rest of them, they wouldn't stand a chance!

2. The Namekians might not trust King Kai since chances are they don't even know who he is. For that matter, they don't even know who these people are that died, so there is no sentimental value between them.

Freeza.exe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza.exe » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:58 pm

Between Freeza killing the civilians on their planet and collecting the Dragonballs for himself I really doubt the Namekians would be thrilled to obey a mysterious voice in their heads telling them to collect the Dragonballs and wish dead people back to life. Especially people whom they don't know nor care about. Even if they did oblige by then Freeza had a few Dragonballs anyway so it would be a no-go.
My friend broke my PSP just in time for Naruto Ultimate Ninja 5 to come out....WHOOOO!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:08 pm

Shiyonasan wrote:Who's to say the Namekians would know where to find the Dragon Balls?
The dragonballs were all kept in Namekian villages. That's how Freeza and co. were able to find them without a dragon radar, by just tracking down Namekians.
Freeza.exe wrote:Between Freeza killing the civilians on their planet and collecting the Dragonballs for himself I really doubt the Namekians would be thrilled to obey a mysterious voice in their heads telling them to collect the Dragonballs and wish dead people back to life. Especially people whom they don't know nor care about. Even if they did oblige by then Freeza had a few Dragonballs anyway so it would be a no-go.
Goku and co. first discuss using the Namekian dragonballs right after the battle with Vegeta. Freeza hadn't arrived at Planet Namek yet at that point.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:20 pm

As Herms says, no one knew about Freeza going there at the time. As well as that, Dragon Ball makes a point of saying that you shouldn't rely on God for everything. It's bad enough that there are reality bending orbs lying around. Kami himself said that even the Dragon Balls themselves make you work for your miracle.

I think that, under normal circumstances, Kaio wouldn't want to help that much. He gave them enough help as it was. Not only that, but technically planet Namek was outside of his jurisdiction, so maybe he wasn't allowed to go ordering them around. He later kind of breaks or bends these rules and helps out a lot, by helping to set up all the wishes. But I wouldn't call that normal circumstances.

Commander_Red
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Commander_Red » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:00 am

"Hey Guru there are these dead guys from this other planet you've never really heard of, they're heroes though, died heroically and all that while fighting the Vegetables. Now I know you guys are busy recovering from a huge natural disaster, but do you think you could wish these fellas back to life for me? Thanks."

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:28 am

For a nice holiday vacation!!
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:02 pm

Saichourou did know who Kaiou was, so he'd listen to what he said.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:46 pm

alakazam^ wrote:Saichourou did know who Kaiou was, so he'd listen to what he said.
Kaio had to expain who he was to Saichourou though, so I don't think Saichourou actually knew he was.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:52 pm

Herms wrote:
alakazam^ wrote:Saichourou did know who Kaiou was, so he'd listen to what he said.
Kaio had to expain who he was to Saichourou though, so I don't think Saichourou actually knew he was.
Well, Kaiou did introduce himself as soon as he spoke mostly (in my opinion) to save time in explaining whose voice it was. Saichourou seemed to know to be respectful to "Kaiou", though.