How is Dragon Ball viewed in the anime community today?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

How is Dragon Ball viewed in the anime community today?

Post by CashmanX » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:09 am

Just wonderin' :)

I need to get out more....
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:13 am

"5 minutes takes 30 episodes!"

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:19 am

Not enough little girls or bishounen, so it sucks.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:20 am

"It's just a bunch of sweaty guys yelling at each other!"
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Deep Thought
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deep Thought » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:36 am

"It was a good series, but it has it's flaws. Few of the characters have any backstory at all, and no explanation as to why they are who they are. This makes the characters very two-dimensional, and extremely hard to understand or sympathize with. Even the villain's power is unexplained; we have no idea why they are so powerful, they just are. Also, when a villain prime is done, the villain themselves just entirely disappears, like, POOF, we never see him or her again, because no one gives a fuck about them, I guess, onto the next villain. So the series really looks like it is just generating evil meatbags for the heroes to fight, then disposing of said evil meatbag when it is "done" only to generate another bland evil meatbag for all the heroes to fight. This is just a small flaw with the series, there's the annoyance of the Dragon Balls, the fact that the heroes (and the audience) never really learn anything, and how obsolete many previously important character will become. Dragon Ball Z was no doubt influential for it's time, but the same can be said for the walkman, and that doesn't mean that I'm going to regard it as a superior product to that of the I-Pod. Over all, its fine if people want to continually respect Dragon Ball, but I have long since moved on."

What a bunch of fucking idiots. Wait a second......

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:37 am

"DBZ is the cheap beer of the anime world: there's lots of it and you always have fun when it's around, but you don't get the feeling of satisfaction you get from a more complex brew."

- This from a mid-20's guy, so I don't know if that counts as "today's anime community." That's sort of like asking "what does America think about abortion?" and expecting one unified response.
Officer Hippoface sez: "I don't take kindly to vigilantes in my town."

Saiyaman Prime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Saiyaman Prime » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:46 am

SSJ Helldog wrote: That's sort of like asking "what does America think about abortion?" and expecting one unified response.
Pretty much.

The people from the "anime community" I met like Dragon ball but DBZ... not so much. Others say it is a gateway anime. Some dislike it because it mainstream/too long.
Last edited by Saiyaman Prime on Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:46 am

Deep Thought wrote:Wait a second......
What? :?

Oh, and I've never seen a modern day "anime 'fan'" refer to Dragon Ball (ZEEE) as a "good series, but with flaws." It's always OMGLOLFAIL "I used to watch it, but it ain't TRUE ANIMAYZZZZ!!11 It's only good as a "GATEWAY DRUG" to move onto 'bigger, better AH-KNEE-May!!"

8)
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:08 am

"OVER NINE-THOOOOUUUSAAAAAAND!!!!"
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:11 am

From my side of the world:

Good comments:
  • "It's an anime classic!" :)

"DBZ is one of the best anime in history!" :D
Bad comments:
  • "DBZ is just fighting with no real story!" :?

"The first part is childish, immature and no hardcore action, I don't like it!" :x
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:13 am

Pretty much what I said in the other thread. Dragon Ball is looked down upon by other anime fans, who see it as the 'kiddy stuff that gets you into anime in the first place, before you start watching more mature things.' Not that I think Dragon Ball is mature, but considering what some of them think are 'mature things', I think it's pretty dumb.

A lot of anime fans have only seen the series dubbed, and seem to have quite a few misconceptions about it.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:30 am

It's about as under appreciated and misunderstood as many older series. With that being typed, I could care less what modern anime fans think of Dragonball. It gives me great comfort in knowing that the fans of Dragonball have always supported the franchise with money. All of these modern series, be it good or bad, have a hard time getting fans to actually pay to support them.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:06 am

It's kinda weird for me. The DB fans that I know aren't very familiar with other anime. The anime fans I know don't like DB. You also have to consider that some people like to hate anything popular (I'm a Naruto fan, so believe me, I know) Personally, most of my favorites are newer anime, but DB is my absolute favorite. I often think that many people are closet fans, however. They say DBZ is lousy & "not true anime" (which is bulls***, since that's like saying Tom & Jerry isn't a "true cartoon"). The DVDs aren't buying themseves, though. The moral of the story kids: don't feel bad because someone puts down your favorite series. They're just sad because the general public has no freakin' idea that half of their favorites exist.
Last edited by Eddie on Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:07 am

Generally it seems to be viewed as something you should have grown out of by now.

Commander_Red
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Commander_Red » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:11 am

While I find the series fun and love Toriyama's artwork, I'm finding it harder and harder to be a fan because there's nothing but rehashes of the old stuff now. I need some new stuff to sink my teeth into, I need new discussions and new characters to put into absurd power level calculations. Stop feeding me stale bread :(

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:45 am

Commander_Red wrote:While I find the series fun and love Toriyama's artwork, I'm finding it harder and harder to be a fan because there's nothing but rehashes of the old stuff now. I need some new stuff to sink my teeth into, I need new discussions and new characters to put into absurd power level calculations. Stop feeding me stale bread :(
To be fair, in the last year we've gotten the JUMP special & (if you don't hate the idea) SSJ3 Broly. I suppose you could also do absurd power level calculations for Fake Goku, too. Just don't post them here. Poor Mike will have a massive headache if he keeps pounding his head against the desk.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:49 am

Eddie wrote:
Commander_Red wrote:While I find the series fun and love Toriyama's artwork, I'm finding it harder and harder to be a fan because there's nothing but rehashes of the old stuff now. I need some new stuff to sink my teeth into, I need new discussions and new characters to put into absurd power level calculations. Stop feeding me stale bread :(
To be fair, in the last year we've gotten the JUMP special & (if you don't hate the idea) SSJ3 Broly. I suppose you could also do absurd power level calculations for Fake Goku, too. Just don't post them here. Poor Mike will have a massive headache if he keeps pounding his head against the desk.
Don't forget the new info from the Super Exciting Guides. Wasn't expecting that. It'll be interesting if any of it relates to Dragon Ball Online.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:28 am

http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=24054

This thread shows a lot about what the One Piece fanbase feels about Dragon Ball. So I don't know, there are many people who respect it and like it but there are others who don't.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:51 am

In my country it isn't well respected. It's like most people say- they think it's a bad anime now, comparing it to the anime they watch now (Naruto and Bleach, ironically). Though I do meet people who think it's a fun thing from their childhood and we chat about it. But fans like me who are still in love with the franchise, are pretty rare.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:36 am

My friends consider it an anime classic, but can't stand to watch it anymore since its heyday ended because it's "beefcakes doing nothing but yelling for episodes on end."
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.