Christopher Sabat drops hints on Kai's dub...

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Reckoner

Christopher Sabat drops hints on Kai's dub...

Post by Reckoner » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:38 am

I found this article on Anime News Network and they briefly discuss Kai and the early days of dubbing DBZ. This, however, is the most interesting part:
Five Minutes with Chris Sabat wrote:ANN|AU: Dragon Ball Kai, have you heard of that?

Chris Sabat: I have, I don't know exactly how Funimation is going to handle it, but I do know that they're discussing right now exactly what the details are. but I do know they're leaning towards rewriting it and redubbing it completely from scratch.

ANN|AU: Which is what the Japanese have been doing, well, not rewriting it but redubbing it.

Chris Sabat: Well in Funimation's defense the scripts that came in originally for the Dragon Ball series was terrible. And it wasn't the scriptwriters fault, it was the translations we were getting, they were awful, so bad. They were just photocopied pages from the original Japanese translator and even the translations were in such Engrish we couldn't tell what was going on.

ANN|AU: It was very early days as far as dubbing anime was concerned.

Chris Sabat: It was the earliest days.

ANN|AU: Sailor Moon and Pokémon definitely predate that by a fairly significant time.

Chris Sabat: They do but maybe not on television.

ANN|AU: Over here they did.

Chris Sabat: Oh, ok, in America they were what Funimation was trying to do at first. And it was a noble process and it was trying to turn Dragon Ball Z into an American cartoon. That worked really well and I think it was part of Dragon Ball Z's success, but now that were given these options to redub it. Funimation I know, because Justin Cook is now the producer over there. They're really going to try and do it the way I think the Japanese would have intended, keep it very Japanese friendly, maybe recast some new people. We'll see.
It's very vague and doesn't go into specifics at all, but if this may mean Kai might be redubbed from scratch. I'm not big into Kai, but as a longtime fan of the series as a whole, that'd be a big deal if it comes to pass.

Read the whole thing here.
"Father, what's Hell like?"
"Well, there's a blue ogre and a red ogre, and we play tag all day." - preview for episode 13

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:44 am

Old news is old, bro. FUNimation hasn't said anything yet.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:14 pm

I doubt we'll see Kai until the Dragonbox run finishes.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:19 pm

I can only hope they keep Sabat out of it.

Or, at least give him fewer roles. There's no reason he needs to be everyone.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:28 pm

I agree. He can stay as Yamcha (no surfer). That's where I'll draw the line.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:41 pm

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of Shenron. :lol:
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:25 pm

They're really going to try and do it the way I think the Japanese would have intended, keep it very Japanese friendly, maybe recast some new people. We'll see.
YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:26 pm

His Yamcha sounds fine in Burst Limit. And I guess I can live with his Piccolo. ...But I still don't think he should be Vegeta (unless he can manage to sound more Vegeta-like). Sadly, I have yet to hear an English Vegeta that I like. May something like Drummond's Vegeta, but minus the raspiness.

I wonder who Funimation would get to play Gokuh. Since Sean Schemmel no longer works for Funimation, it would make sense for Gokuh to be recast. And wouldn't it be cool if they didn't stick to their name changes for Kai? It would be like the Dragon Box Z booklet all over again. Lol.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:29 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:His Yamcha sounds fine in Burst Limit. And I guess I can live with his Piccolo. ...But I still don't think he should be Vegeta (unless he can manage to sound more Vegeta-like). Sadly, I have yet to hear an English Vegeta that I like. May something like Drummond's Vegeta, but minus the raspiness.

I wonder who Funimation would get to play Gokuh. Since Sean Schemmel no longer works for Funimation, it would make sense for Gokuh to be recast. And wouldn't it be cool if they didn't stick to their name changes for Kai? It would be like the Dragon Box Z booklet all over again. Lol.

To be honest, they'd probably just find a sound-alike.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:34 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:I can live with his Piccolo. ...But I still don't think he should be Vegeta
I could live with his Vegeta way before his Piccolo. His Piccolo was painful from the first moment he started to the last time he did it.

I have to be honest, though. I don't expect them to overhaul the cast. I'd love it, but there are too many fans of the current cast, unfortunately.

I'm not dreaming too much, that's all. If I get my hopes up, they'll be dashed. Funimation's been doing it for years.

Can I get a Schemen?

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:36 pm

fps_anth wrote:
They're really going to try and do it the way I think the Japanese would have intended, keep it very Japanese friendly, maybe recast some new people. We'll see.
YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES
Good news for all...

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:41 pm

Keep the same FUNi-cast, re-dub the dialogue. Now that'd be a dream come true for us FUNi-supporters.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:43 pm

Ultimate_DB_Fan wrote:Keep the same FUNi-cast,
That's what I'm afraid of.

Can I get a Schemen?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:50 pm

I'd really like to see what a recast Goku would sound like. I'd enjoy something along the lines of MasakoX's version.

Also, in my opinon, Freeza NEEDS to be recast. Really badly.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:12 pm

It's funny, because Sean Schemmel was just a Ian Corlett soundalike, anyway.

Can I get a Schemen?

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:35 pm

Really? I never thought he sounded like Ian Corlett. Peter Kelamis sounded more like Corlett to me. If Schemmel sounded like Corlett, then maybe his voice wouldn't bother me so much.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:59 pm

I'm kind of panicking that Funi got its hands on Kai, while at the same time sorta getting my hopes up.

If this works it shall be salvation unto us all.

No longer will we be mocked by our peers and parents.

No longer will Dragonball be condemned by a shoddy translation and terrible voice acting.

The clouds shall lift and a new age shall dawn.

If it fails it shall be the final nail in the coffin.

Evermore shall Dragonball be denied its place as the father of Shonen.

Evermore shall we be ashamed we ever supported Funimation

A darkness shall come to the land which shall remain into the black depths of infinity.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:38 pm

Even if it's great, it may be a "too little, too late" thing.

Unless it's EPIC. And Funimation doesn't do EPIC dubs.

Can I get a Schemen?

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:52 pm

penguintruth wrote:Even if it's great, it may be a "too little, too late" thing.

Pardon me, but, what exactly is an EPIC dub?
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:04 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:
penguintruth wrote:Even if it's great, it may be a "too little, too late" thing.

Pardon me, but, what exactly is an EPIC dub?
An English dub that is easily on par, or arguably better than the original Japanese version.

Of which I'm only aware of a handful. None of the Funimation dubs I've heard have quite met that standard, though they have made some decent ones, especially in the past few years (Darker than Black, for instance).

I admit, "epic" is used too liberally on the internet, and apologize for it.

My point is, for me to be impressed by an English dub for DB Kai, it will have to be one hell of a dub.

Can I get a Schemen?