Dragonball GT BGM

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Dragonball GT BGM

Post by LilKokuLink » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:29 am

Hey, I've looked through the Music Database section but I am still a bit confused. I am a fan of the dub, but for GT i prefer the japanese music and so I am trying to find the CD releases for GT which includes the BGM. I can't seem to find it, have they been released? I know that there is the stuff like Dan Dan Kokoro Hikariteku, Hitori Janai, Blue Velvet etc. I've had to resort to downloading them off the internet.. but I was wondering about any CD releases for the background music played during the show, if there are any I'd like to get them. So if anyone knows, can somebody please tell me about the releases of the japanese GT score? Thank You for reading.
Actions have reactions so don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships that people don't speak of.
Dub fan.
Naveed.

TripleRach

Re: Dragonball GT BGM

Post by TripleRach » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:42 pm

There were never any GT soundtracks released. But there was a soundtrack for the final Dragon Ball movie, which used a lot of the same background music as GT. It's the only way to get any GT BGM on CD. As for the rest of GT's BGM, there's a thread about that.

But the five vocal themes all had CD single releases, which I guess are out of print nowadays, but you could probably still find some of the artists' full albums with the songs brand new.
-Rachel

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:44 pm

TripleRach wrote:There were never any GT soundtracks released. But there was a soundtrack for the final Dragon Ball movie, which used a lot of the same background music as GT. It's the only way to get any GT BGM on CD. As for the rest of GT's BGM, there's a thread about that.

But the five vocal themes all had CD single releases, which I guess are out of print nowadays, but you could probably still find some of the artists' full albums with the songs brand new.
Thanks a lot, I guess I'll look for the 10th anniversary movie soundtrack then :)
Actions have reactions so don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships that people don't speak of.
Dub fan.
Naveed.

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Savage68 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:00 pm

This guy has a lot of the unreleased Mark Menza GT soundtrack...

http://www.youtube.com/user/coycoy88
Last edited by Savage68 on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:06 pm

You know, on its own some of Mark Menza's tracks actually aren't that bad! Haha, never thought I'd say that.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Savage68

Post by Savage68 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:24 pm

I didn't either. GT is all-around bad, but I actually think that Menza's BGM fit the show better a lot of times.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:45 pm

Savage68 wrote:I didn't either. GT is all-around bad, but I actually think that Menza's BGM fit the show better a lot of times.
I 100% agree with you for once, Mark Menza's GT score is better than the original Japanese score and just all around fits the series more.

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:41 am

Mark Menza did the GT score for FUNimation right? In the FUNimation dub it seemed to me that the music didn't fit well with the scene, but on its own its pretty cool :P
Dub fan.
Naveed.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:52 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Savage68 wrote:I didn't either. GT is all-around bad, but I actually think that Menza's BGM fit the show better a lot of times.
I 100% agree with you for once, Mark Menza's GT score is better than the original Japanese score and just all around fits the series more.
Repetitive guitar riffs vs upbeat orchestrated music? Huh, the masses have already spoken I suppose.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:13 pm

Akihito Tokunaga may not be as talented as Shunsuke Kikuchi, but GT's original soundtrack is a lot better than the garbage "music" Funimation had produced for anything. Tokunaga's music has this special, enchanting feeling to it. And the variations of the theme songs are always great.

In fact, I probably prefer it to Yamamoto's work in Kai.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:05 pm

I would still rate the music of GT very highly. It is simply incredible, all of it. And Prolouge.... :shock:

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:29 pm

penguintruth wrote:Akihito Tokunaga may not be as talented as Shunsuke Kikuchi, but GT's original soundtrack is a lot better than the garbage "music" Funimation had produced for anything. Tokunaga's music has this special, enchanting feeling to it. And the variations of the theme songs are always great.

In fact, I probably prefer it to Yamamoto's work in Kai.
Just because its not the original music for the series, doesn't mean its garbage.

On a musical level, it just sounds better to me than Akihito Tokunaga's score.

Tweaker
Regular

Post by Tweaker » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:39 am

Incidentally, I felt the opposite--I felt Menza's score had absolutely no relevance to the actual vibe the series portrayed; the original score was far more upbeat and atmospheric, much akin to the original Japanese score for its predecessors. The useless breakbeats and horribly monotonous excuses for melodies in were totally inappropriate and a serious bore to listen to.

Savage68

Post by Savage68 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:01 am

Oh, wow.

I had forgotten where I was when I made that comment.

NEVERMIND the ORCHESTRA >>> EVERYTHING ELSE NO MATTER WHAT!!1!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:52 am

Please. You can barely consider anything Mark Menza or Bruce Faulconer to even be "music". It's just a lot of noise arranged so that it sometimes resembles it. In order to be music, it actually has to be musical.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

Savage68

Post by Savage68 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:15 am

Case in point.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:48 am

Savage68 wrote:Case in point.
Exactly

ITZ NOT MUSIK COZ ITZ NOT JAPANESE crap I keep hearing.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:50 am

Whether Menza's music is good is irrelevant. It is not the original score and was composed with the idea of the series being something it is not in mind.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:51 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Savage68 wrote:Case in point.
Exactly

ITZ NOT MUSIK COZ ITZ NOT JAPANESE crap I keep hearing.
Don't put words in my mouth.

My distaste for the music itself is seperate from my dislike of the practice of replacement music.

If I heard it in anything else, I'd still hate it.

Can I get a Schemen?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:55 am

JulieYBM wrote:Whether Menza's music is good is irrelevant. It is not the original score and was composed with the idea of the series being something it is not in mind.
Menza's score was composed to accompany the series of Dragon Ball GT just like Tokunaga's score and in my opinion Menza's score works better with the series. (Not saying Tokunaga's score is bad though)