Kai Episode 50 (28 March 2010)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Khalid Shahin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Kai Episode 50 (28 March 2010)

Post by Khalid Shahin » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:40 pm

General Discussion for DragonBall Kai episode 50, aired 28 March 2010.

フリーザ決死のフルパワー!願いを届けてくれ神龍
Furiiza Kesshi no Furu Pawaa! Negai o Todokete Kure Shenron
Freeza's Do-or-Die Full Power! Shenlong, Heed this Wish
Last edited by Khalid Shahin on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Re: Kai Episode 50 (28 March 2010)

Post by Vino » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:31 pm

Watched it on Keyhole.

Well...can't really call it watching. :? I heard lots of tracks that weren't used for a long time, so that's a plus.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:19 pm

Vino wrote:Watched it on Keyhole.

Well...can't really call it watching. :? I heard lots of tracks that weren't used for a long time, so that's a plus.
I know what you mean. Keyhole was pretty nasty tonight.

I actually haven't minded the musical score during most of Goku's fight with Freeza. It's not as intense as Kikuchi's tracks, but it isn't like it doesn't fit at all.

I remember how these episodes become a long-running discussion between Kaio and Kami over how to best use the Dragon Balls. I actually quite like what they come up with.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:40 pm

Keyhole was pretty nasty tonight.
Yeah I was watching Gohan with Bulma and all of the sudden the video just went zilch. Does anyone know what they were talking about? For some reason I'd like to know.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:36 pm

She was telling him how excited she was that they're getting new English VAs.

Or how excited she is to be finally going home.

One of those two.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

RattleMan

Post by RattleMan » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:46 pm

Some blood -> white stuff censors in this ep, but what stands out is:

A new title card background!
Under construction.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:11 am

Hmm... I wonder if the series is going to end now. It is episode 50 and all. ^_~

Cool new title card, though. The one thing I've always thought Kai has been lazy about is using the same title cards for each arc... eh, same boring landscape shot. At least this one is rather interesting-looking. If altering landscapes continues to be the theme for the rest of the series, it'll be fun when Buu destroys the world, and all it is is a plain black title card! :lol:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:30 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:it'll be fun when Buu destroys the world, and all it is is a plain black title card! :lol:
Good joke, but we all know it will shift over to the planet they fight on. :wink:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:06 am

penguintruth wrote:She was telling him how excited she was that they're getting new English VAs.

Or how excited she is to be finally going home.

One of those two.
Really? I thought it would have been Bulma telling Gohan about her experiences of being a frog.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:47 pm

RattleMan wrote:Some blood -> white stuff censors in this ep, but what stands out is:
*snipped image*
A new title card background!
You know, while I like the title card, I find it kind of odd. Why even make a new one, for what, like four more episodes? I guess unless they use it all the way through until the end of the Trunks arc... but that wouldn't seem to fit too well. It just seems like odd timing to change things up like that. It isn't the beginning of a new arc or anything. It has no real tie-ins with the next arc. It's just random. I still wish they'd make new title cards each time with some new animation, but I am fine with the re-used static title cards, unless they don't make any sense. :?
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:17 pm

I think this epsode was one of Kai's best. Everything looked consistent and nice and the music was fitting. I enjoyed it.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:41 pm

I. love. this. episode.

The "caveman art style" moments where improved greatly, even the non-redrawn ones. That style had a problem of looping animation awkwardly, and one scene that stood out as poor was the scene where Fri­eza just slides his knee into Goku after they were grappling after the whole "pink" scene. In Kai they cut out the awkward sliding and made it so that it looks like he actually rammed his knee into Goku. It seriously made it feel powerful and it looked much better:

There was also a moment where Fri­eza was about to punch Goku, and in the original he did a "wind-up" but then he just kinda freezes and rotates a bit, but in Kai they showed the "wind-up" then cut straight to the punch:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:04 pm

They fixed the black brow SSJ that was in last week preview. I don't understand why they are editing the blood to sweat?

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:05 pm

This episode covered chapter 45 of the ani-manga. The Freeza arc ends at 47.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:23 pm

Any redrawn scenes to note.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:19 am

RattleMan wrote:A new title card background!
Yay! I wasn't seeing things after all!

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:18 am

Vino wrote:I don't understand why they are editing the blood to sweat?
Wait, WHAT?! :shock:

Edited by demand
Last edited by SHINOBI-03 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:19 am

Please do not post in images like that. It looks absolutely ridiculous... never mind the fact that I can't even tell what it is you're trying to say.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

zentradi

Post by zentradi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:34 pm

Guys, really basic but simple question from a new fan.

If it is already episode 50 and fight with Freeza is on what is season 3 (of DBZ US). How are they going to fit the remaining 5 seasons in 49 episodes? I thought Kai was going to be 99 or 100 episodes so I am completely puzzled as to how this will happen. This fight with Freeza has been going on for at least 14 Kai episodes and 10 after Goku's revival. I don't understand how the rest will fit in a mere 40 some episodes.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Edited that. Sorry for the Phoenix Wright mode. :P
VegettoEX wrote:never mind the fact that I can't even tell what it is you're trying to say.
Vino wrote "I don't understand why they are editing the blood to sweat". That reminded me of 4Kids edit of Luffy and Crocodile's third fight from One Piece where they made Luffy's blood to sweat.

Can anyone post screenshots for the sake of comparison?
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?