Differences in each Viz edition

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Differences in each Viz edition

Post by TenshinFan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:30 am

Hi, could someone please help me out? I'm trying to find a reasonably comprehensive list or thread or something comparing each edition of the Viz manga: the original biggish ones, the red ones, and the VizBigs, or even different printings if anything's been tweaked. Just wondering which version is the best to buy. Price is not an issue.

A very hearty Please and Thank You :D

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Differences in each Viz edition

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:44 am

Here is one off of the top of my head. It's the last post in the thread, so you need to scroll down to get to it.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:03 am

If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:31 pm

Alright, thanks guys! Looks like I'll be getting the first ten volumes (of each series) in those older, bigger versions, and everything else in VizBig. Back when they were coming out I had about 2/3 of the red volumes, but I sold them off a couple years ago... time to replace em!

I just hope that someday a ""Perfect Edition" will be released.... totally uncensored, more accurate translations, all color chapters colored... I reckon they'd sell like gangbusters too

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:15 pm

TenshinFan wrote:I just hope that someday a ""Perfect Edition" will be released.... totally uncensored, more accurate translations, all color chapters colored... I reckon they'd sell like gangbusters too
That's if they ever finish releasing the Viz Big version. :lol:

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:20 pm

Are the Viz Bigs still going? I only seem to see the same six everywhere I go (the first 3 in Dragon Ball and the first 3 "Z" volumes). Eh, either way I'm not buying another edition until all the colour pages are, like, in colour. If I want to spend money on a mutilated product, I'll stick with buying the blue bricks, thank you very much.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:24 pm

Sprite Satan wrote:Are the Viz Bigs still going?
Yup. The seventh volume should be coming out in a couple of weeks...if its not delayed again. The eighth volume comes out in July and the final one has not received a released date yet.

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:10 pm

Sprite Satan wrote:Are the Viz Bigs still going? I only seem to see the same six everywhere I go (the first 3 in Dragon Ball and the first 3 "Z" volumes). Eh, either way I'm not buying another edition until all the colour pages are, like, in colour. If I want to spend money on a mutilated product, I'll stick with buying the blue bricks, thank you very much.
Blue bricks? Are those the DB Season sets? What's wrong with them; I was planning on picking them up by the end of the month

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:11 pm

TenshinFan wrote:Looks like I'll be getting the first ten volumes (of each series) in those older, bigger versions, and everything else in VizBig.
Eh? The only old big ones I can think of are out of print, have the worst censorship of all, and are falling apart at the spine at this point. Maybe you meant the other, smaller ones? But I'm not sure why you'd want 10 of them and the rest in VizBig, especially since the later volumes aren't available as VizBigs yet.

Just curious and confused.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:21 pm

TenshinFan wrote:
Sprite Satan wrote:Are the Viz Bigs still going? I only seem to see the same six everywhere I go (the first 3 in Dragon Ball and the first 3 "Z" volumes). Eh, either way I'm not buying another edition until all the colour pages are, like, in colour. If I want to spend money on a mutilated product, I'll stick with buying the blue bricks, thank you very much.
Blue bricks? Are those the DB Season sets? What's wrong with them; I was planning on picking them up by the end of the month
They're not bad per se (a la the DBZ seasons), but, depending on what you want out of a release, they can feel frustrating/not up to par. No alternate angles means only one set of titles cards/credits, meaning that if you only watch the Japanese version, you'll be bombarded with the FUNimation version cast and title names. Which is annoying to me. And, of course they lack next episode previews and most of the opening/ending animation variations. At any rate, they're not nearly as good as a Dragon Box release would be, so some people (myself included) are holding out hope (and our tiny, tiny wallets) for that potential release. It really depends on what you want and what your expectations are.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:27 pm

Bussani wrote:
TenshinFan wrote:Looks like I'll be getting the first ten volumes (of each series) in those older, bigger versions, and everything else in VizBig.
Eh? The only old big ones I can think of are out of print, have the worst censorship of all, and are falling apart at the spine at this point. Maybe you meant the other, smaller ones? But I'm not sure why you'd want 10 of them and the rest in VizBig, especially since the later volumes aren't available as VizBigs yet.

Just curious and confused.
Hm, well, according to that guy on the Funi boards metalwario linked me, the "older, bigger" volumes contain the -least- censorship. I've already bought a few, and so far all the nudie bits and middle fingers are kept in. The only problem I've noticed so far is a small one: Shu is called Soba. But so far, so good.

About the 10 volumes, also according to that dude on the Funi boards, Viz only published 10 volumes of the "older, bigger" versions before scrapping that and going with the "normal-sized" red and white ones.

As for VizBig... I thought the last Dragon Ball one was out already? As for DBZ, I only want to buy until the end of the Cell Saga anyway, so if they're not finished it's not a big deal.

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:33 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:

They're not bad per se (a la the DBZ seasons), but, depending on what you want out of a release, they can feel frustrating/not up to par. No alternate angles means only one set of titles cards/credits, meaning that if you only watch the Japanese version, you'll be bombarded with the FUNimation version cast and title names. Which is annoying to me. And, of course they lack next episode previews and most of the opening/ending animation variations. At any rate, they're not nearly as good as a Dragon Box release would be, so some people (myself included) are holding out hope (and our tiny, tiny wallets) for that potential release. It really depends on what you want and what your expectations are.
Hm... Funi title names kind of blows, no next-ep previews doesn't bother me that much, and no op/end variations also sucks... dang. Well... as long as it's uncensored and the subtitles are good, I'd probably still buy them. Dragon Box would be best, though, but I don't want to wait years and years without owning the DVDs in some form or another, you know? And these seem like the best right now... so I'll probably get them. Anyway, don't wanna get this thread too off topic lol

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:09 pm

TenshinFan wrote:Hm, well, according to that guy on the Funi boards metalwario linked me, the "older, bigger" volumes contain the -least- censorship. I've already bought a few, and so far all the nudie bits and middle fingers are kept in. The only problem I've noticed so far is a small one: Shu is called Soba. But so far, so good.
Really? You mean these ones?

They didn't cover up Goku's penis in chapter 1 or Bulma's underwear when Goku removes them in chapter 2 in your copy? Or Bulma's butt in chapter 4 when she flashes Roshi?

My copies of these (the first 2 volumes, anyway) are the absolute worst in terms of censorship. Some of it doesn't even make sense; if you were reading this volume in my hands right now and you'd never read Dragon Ball before, you wouldn't even know Bulma wasn't wearing underwear when she flashed Roshi.

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:54 pm

TenshinFan wrote:Hm, well, according to that guy on the Funi boards metalwario linked me, the "older, bigger" volumes contain the -least- censorship. I've already bought a few, and so far all the nudie bits and middle fingers are kept in. The only problem I've noticed so far is a small one: Shu is called Soba. But so far, so good.
Shu was called Soba back then, it's not really an error. Then, or so the story goes, when the animé writers asked Toriyama for the character's name, he forgot he had already given him one and came up with Shu. Which has since stuck around.

Of course, maybe they could have changed this to Shu in every subsequent reprinting but some people would take offence to that, I imagine.
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:04 pm

But, actually, Viz did the opposite of that. They not only retained Soba in volume 2 but also used the name in all subsequent appearances of the character, even after his name had been changed to Shu.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:06 pm

Sprite Satan wrote:Shu was called Soba back then, it's not really an error. Then, or so the story goes, when the animé writers asked Toriyama for the character's name, he forgot he had already given him one and came up with Shu. Which has since stuck around.

Of course, maybe they could have changed this to Shu in every subsequent reprinting but some people would take offence to that, I imagine.
I remember that Viz addressed this in whatever volume contained the Q&A where Toriyama admitted to this inconsistency. Viz noted that they changed it to "Soba" in all instances to be consistent, and because the names they used were often different than those used in the anime (presumably meaning the Funi dub). Personally, I stick with Shu because it completes Mai's name pun (shuumai).

I also vaguely remember that General White was referred to as "Silver" once or twice in the original manga, but Viz fixed this inconsistency too. There's a title page where Toriyama mentions this mistake (complete with a picture of White going "if I have to lose, you could at least get my name right"), and Viz added a note there saying they had corrected this.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:07 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:But, actually, Viz did the opposite of that. They not only retained Soba in volume 2 but also used the name in all subsequent appearances of the character, even after his name had been changed to Shu.
Now, that is strange. Well, I can't pretend I'm an expert on the Viz manga. Too many edits and re-releases for me to keep track of.

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Bussani wrote:
Really? You mean these ones?

They didn't cover up Goku's penis in chapter 1 or Bulma's underwear when Goku removes them in chapter 2 in your copy? Or Bulma's butt in chapter 4 when she flashes Roshi?

My copies of these (the first 2 volumes, anyway) are the absolute worst in terms of censorship. Some of it doesn't even make sense; if you were reading this volume in my hands right now and you'd never read Dragon Ball before, you wouldn't even know Bulma wasn't wearing underwear when she flashed Roshi.
Well, I don't have volume one, but my volume 2 is totally uncensored. I noticed from that pic that your volumes 1-3 don't have the 13 and Up logo; that's probably why they're so censored.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:40 pm

TenshinFan wrote:I noticed from that pic that your volumes 1-3 don't have the 13 and Up logo; that's probably why they're so censored.
That seems likely. Viz sure does make it complicated.

In that copy of volume 2 up there, Chichi pushes Goku off Kinto'un for talking to her.

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:51 am

Bussani wrote:Really? You mean these ones?

I have those early copies, and mine are the uncensored (or nearly uncensored) copies. I get Goku full nudity, Bulma full nudity, middle fingers, etc. The only thing apparently partly censored from those early copies was Oolong's fantasy about puff-puffing in his first appearance. In fact, I have the later-published "full red" copy of Volume 2, and it's also uncensored. All the nudity and the middle finger is there, and Goku does pat-pat Chichi on the cloud.