Janemba

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Janemba

Post by Hujio » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:30 pm

I have been doing some research lately (with all the free from Holiday break, what else is there to do?!?) and I've been doing some translating. I recently was scanning Daizenshuu 6 and came across DragonBall Z Movie 12 (Fusion Reborn!! Goku and Vegeta). I was doing fine until I came across Janemba. I tried translating it, but when you romanize it, well it came out sort of different than I had expected.

Below I have provided the Katakana spelling for Janemba as provided by Daizenshuu 6. Now when you break it up into it's parts, you find that not everything adds up. Either I translated this wrong, but if I'm not mistaken the fourth character in the word is the Katakana character "so".

The only conclusion I have is that I simply translated it incorrectly. Otherwise it had occured to me that if you replace "so" (ソ) with "me" (メ) then it would make sense (romanized would be Janemeba). However I find this unlikey because in Daizenshuu 6 it is clearly written as "so" (ソ). Unless they messed and wrote his name wrong throughout the entire book... :? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

SaiyaJedi

Re: Janemba

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:56 pm

You've mistaken the katakana "n" (ン) for a katakana "so" (ソ). They're pretty close (the only difference being the direction of the second stroke), so I can see how you made the mistake. It's a pretty common one, actually.

But no, "Janenba" is written as it's pronounced. :)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:59 pm

That makes sense now. I thought I was gonna pull all my hair out before this was over.

Thanks for the help Julian. :D

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:23 am

Daizenshu scans? Movie 12? Gimme gimme.

But yeah, that's one of the most common snafus in translating Japanese. A friend of mine keeps mistaking tsu for shi
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:57 am

The S wrote:A friend of mine keeps mistaking tsu for shi
I do that too :lol:
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:59 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:
The S wrote:A friend of mine keeps mistaking tsu for shi
I do that too :lol:
Pffft, n00b's. :roll: