What movie is the laser disc of?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

What movie is the laser disc of?

Post by Jon Jon » Fri May 07, 2010 10:50 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 081wt_1165

I can't figure out what this is a movie of, and there is no Japanese audio on it. If it's something rare I'll definitely buy it, like if it's the "OVA" or something. Does anyone know?

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What movie is the laser disc of?

Post by Amigo Ten » Fri May 07, 2010 11:01 pm

Well, it says the running time is 82 minutes, and only movie 8 is around that length as far as I remember. But it also says the release date was 1991, which was before movie 8.

I'd wager that it could just be some episodes grouped together and labeled as a movie.

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Sat May 08, 2010 1:41 am

Hmm, I've never seen this before or seen that art before.
DRAGONBALL Z THE MOVIE "FIVE SUPER WARRIORS"
Language: Cantonese dubbed
Made: Hong Kong
Any chance this could be a bootleg?
You must have faith in who you are.

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Sat May 08, 2010 7:49 am

I'm considering that it might be of the "OVA"? in which case it would be solid footage of it. I don't really want to gamble though, especially when I own two copies of movie 8 on laserdisc as is lol.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sat May 08, 2010 8:03 am

The OVA wasn't out yet in 1991, either. But then neither was SSJ Gohan (I don't think he appeared in the manga until at least 1992), who's all over the cover. Very weird.
-Rachel

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun May 09, 2010 2:22 am

Yeah that is definitely a bootleg, the official Laserdisc looks completely different. And "Dragon Ball" is almost always written out in English in all Japanese products.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon May 10, 2010 5:48 am

SSj_Rambo wrote:Yeah that is definitely a bootleg, the official Laserdisc looks completely different. And "Dragon Ball" is almost always written out in English in all Japanese products.
..... and it's from Hong Kong, so it's not looking that legit.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:47 am

I did some research and 龍珠Z 五大超西爾人 (The Five Great Super Saiyans) is indeed movie eight, I think... The title on the Chinese Wikipedia page is 燃燒吧!!熱戰·烈戰·超激戰, and the title on this LD seems an awful lot like movie seven's title (Extreme Battle! The Three Great Super Saiyans) . Well, maybe it is a bootleg after all.

By the way, I'm not entirely sure 西爾人 translates to Saiyan. I don't really know any Chinese.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

ChaojiShucaiRen

Post by ChaojiShucaiRen » Wed May 12, 2010 1:15 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:I did some research and 龍珠Z 五大超西爾人 (The Five Great Super Saiyans) is indeed movie eight, I think... The title on the Chinese Wikipedia page is 燃燒吧!!熱戰·烈戰·超激戰, and the title on this LD seems an awful lot like movie seven's title (Extreme Battle! The Three Great Super Saiyans) . Well, maybe it is a bootleg after all.

By the way, I'm not entirely sure 西爾人 translates to Saiyan. I don't really know any Chinese.

西尔人 is indeed Saiyan but it hardly has a good translation into English. Xī ěr rén is its pinyin equivalent.

By the way its a bootleg and it actually it could be any movie or set of episodes on that LD. A lot of Chinese bootlegs use the same cover or a mix of covers from OTHER bootlegs to switch it up a little.
I’ve got a lovely bunch of Dragonballs
There they are all standing in a row
Big ones, small ones, some as big as your head!

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed May 12, 2010 7:26 pm

Ah, so I was right about it being a bootleg. The title really confuses me though... And why does it use 西爾人 when it's written 賽亞人 on Wikipedia?

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

ChaojiShucaiRen

Post by ChaojiShucaiRen » Thu May 13, 2010 12:22 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:Ah, so I was right about it being a bootleg. The title really confuses me though... And why does it use 西爾人 when it's written 賽亞人 on Wikipedia?
Ah...thats a hard one actually. Basically what this boils down to is writing out the word as it sounds. Kind of like how a name in English gets sounded out in Chinese (eg: The name Christopher is Kè​lǐ​sī​tuō​fú or 克里斯托弗 and Alexander is Yà​lì​shān​dà or 亚历山大). The word cannot be said correctly if trying to use the Chinese language because their is no such word so instead they would sound out the word as best they could and then applied appropriate characters to said matching "sounds" if you will. Then they later converted the "sounds" to how it would be written in alphabetical form for the pinyin. This (I believe) is kind of like in Japanese with the word computer which is konpyu-ta a phonetic translation of an english word.

Now with 賽亞人 its a little bit more complicated. What I typed before (西尔人) is correct in that it means "Saiyan" in Chinese, but it could hardly be translated in any such matter. So the word Sàiyàrén was created. All 賽亞人 is the literal translation of Sàiyàrén for the purpose of making it easier for the Chinese people to pronounce the word "Saiyan" instead of Xī ěr rén which is a more "Chinese exclusive" pronunciation of the same word.

Although, there is a little bit of (maybe) unintentional irony in 賽亞人. Sài can be translated by itself as "competition" or "to compete or surpass", can be translated as "Asian" or more literally "inferior asian" and rén is obviously "person or people". So a pretty good translation all together could possibly mean something like "Competitive inferior asian people". The asian people they are talking about are probably Taiwanese or Japanese asian people. I guess even cartoons aren't safe from vengeful hatred.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu May 13, 2010 1:09 pm

Ah, so it's like Japanese, only there's more than one way of writing it. Well, actually, that can be true of Japanese, too, now that I think about it. Thanks, ChaojiShucaiRen. :D

So is pronounced Sàiyàrén and 西尔人 is pronounced Xī ěr rén? I can understand the reasoning behind 賽亞人, but if 西尔人 isn't pronounced like Saiyan, then why is it used? I seem to be missing something here. Lol.

The "Competitive inferior asian people" thing reminds me of the Korean dub of Dragon Ball; they changed "Kame House" to "A House". It's gotta be the funniest edit I've ever seen. :lol:

ChaojiShucaiRen

Post by ChaojiShucaiRen » Thu May 13, 2010 1:38 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:Ah, so it's like Japanese, only there's more than one way of writing it. Well, actually, that can be true of Japanese, too, now that I think about it. Thanks, ChaojiShucaiRen. :D

So is pronounced Sàiyàrén and 西尔人 is pronounced Xī ěr rén? I can understand the reasoning behind 賽亞人, but if 西尔人 isn't pronounced like Saiyan, then why is it used? I seem to be missing something here. Lol.

The "Competitive inferior asian people" thing reminds me of the Korean dub of Dragon Ball; they changed "Kame House" to "A House". It's gotta be the funniest edit I've ever seen. :lol:

Ah, that's another good question. I will use the "computer" example again. As stated before konpyu-ta is Japanese for the "computer". But in Chinese the same word, "computer", doesn't have a phonetic translation of the exact same word. The Chinese word for "computer" is diàn​nǎo (which actually literally means "electronic brain" in English. And you would pronounce it in English using the various rules of pinyin: dja-nau or dya-now.

Now the reason why someone chooses 西尔人 over 賽亞人 or vice versa is based on personal choice or maybe based on lack of knowledge. You see, 賽亞人 is a proper noun, and since before DBZ was created there was no such word, 賽亞人 was created to be a race of people for DBZ in particular. Chinese people probably used 西尔人 to get as close to the description of Goku and Raditz as possible and then later adopted 賽亞人 when it was created for a more complete translation. The reason for the bootleggers usage of 西尔人 is probably from a lack of knowledge of what Dragonball Z or "saiyans" are and thus used a more archaic term (though it is not incorrect by any means).

EDIT: 賽亞人 also has a literal translation but since it is a proper noun, the translation is not used. Kind of like how my name is Ryan but I don't go around telling people my name is "Little King" (Gaelic).

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri May 14, 2010 9:06 pm

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks, ChaojiShucaiRen!

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Fri May 14, 2010 9:26 pm

It's cheap and it's Dragonball, so just buy it! :lol:

If you don't, I will. By the way, are LD players still sold?

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Sat May 15, 2010 7:55 pm

SylentEcho wrote:If you don't, I will. By the way, are LD players still sold?
LDs themselves ceased production ten years ago, so I sincerely doubt it. If you wanted superb video and audio quality back in the day, LDs were what you wanted. The downsides? The players and the discs were both expensive as Hell, the discs could sometimes be very fragile (especially if they were defective), and the discs were FUCKING HUGE. Each one was a foot across, which made storage a pain. Add to that the fact that no recordable version of LD was ever released, and it was painfully obvious why VHS continued to dominate despite its inferior quality. Of course, DVD blew both of them out of the water in nearly every category, so it's been a moot point for some time now.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

ChaojiShucaiRen

Post by ChaojiShucaiRen » Mon May 17, 2010 9:41 am

SylentEcho wrote:It's cheap and it's Dragonball, so just buy it! :lol:

If you don't, I will. By the way, are LD players still sold?
Its actually pretty rare considering it is an LD. I like to see things in different Chinese dubs, it helps me perfect my Chinese and its also sometimes funny seeing how they deal with the puns that are throughout all of DB. I remember watching a Mandarin dub of DB and also a home-made Kejia (Hakka) dub of DB as well, which was actually done really well.