The Dragon Ball Wiki

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Blue
Advanced Regular

Re: The Dragon Ball Wiki

Post by Blue » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:56 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
The Tori-bot wrote:"As a baby, Gohan was originally intended to be named either Einstein or Archimedes by Chi-Chi. Alternatively, some of Ox King's name suggestions included Ox King Jr., Ox Monkey, Big Ox, Oxford, Ox in the Box, Ox Man and Johnny Oxseed."

:|
Oh, wow. It's been nearly ten years since I've seen that episode so I had effectively blocked that garbage from my mind. I groaned. I face-palmed. I guess I just can't relate to the crew on the DB Wiki. We're fans of two entirely different things. I'm beginning to wish FUNimation had just renamed the show Goku's Monkey Magic or something. Then at least we could clearly delineate between these two totally different things.
B-but...that was in the Japanese version too pretty much exactly as its stated in the dub. The Ox Kings name was just attached to different stuff.
Last edited by Blue on Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:57 pm

B wrote:
The Tori-bot wrote:, when listing voice actors, "Japanese Dub" shouldn't be used, as it's the original version and therefore there was nothing to "dub".
Wrong, the Japanese voices are dubbed to the animation.
dub, tr. v. To insert a new soundtrack, often a synchronized translation of the original dialogue, into (a film).

You could still argue it, but since there is no original dialogue to dub in the first place, seeing as what's being inserted in the Japanese version is the original dialogue... ah, you know what I mean. You pedant, you. :P
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:59 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
The Tori-bot wrote:"As a baby, Gohan was originally intended to be named either Einstein or Archimedes by Chi-Chi. Alternatively, some of Ox King's name suggestions included Ox King Jr., Ox Monkey, Big Ox, Oxford, Ox in the Box, Ox Man and Johnny Oxseed."

Oh, wow. It's been nearly ten years since I've seen that episode so I had effectively blocked that garbage from my mind. I groaned. I face-palmed. I guess I just can't relate to the crew on the DB Wiki. We're fans of two entirely different things. I'm beginning to wish FUNimation had just renamed the show Goku's Monkey Magic or something. Then at least we could clearly delineate between these two totally different things. Sorry. That probably does sound inflammatory, but I honestly can't read stuff like this about Dragon Ball without hoping people never find out I'm a fan.
Are we all going to pretend that he didn't make a bunch of "Gyu-" related puns in the JP version or something? Jesus Christ.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:00 pm

Blue wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:

Oh, wow. It's been nearly ten years since I've seen that episode so I had effectively blocked that garbage from my mind. I groaned. I face-palmed. I guess I just can't relate to the crew on the DB Wiki. We're fans of two entirely different things. I'm beginning to wish FUNimation had just renamed the show Goku's Monkey Magic or something. Then at least we could clearly delineate between these two totally different things.
B-but...that was in the Japanese version too pretty much exactly as its stated in the dub. The Ox Kings name was just attached to different stuff.
Really? Was there the obvious references to real-Earth stuff, like Einstein, Archimedes, and Johnny Appleseed? That's my real problem with this. If so... hmm. Well, at least I can go with the fact that, no matter what the original line was, it's still filler and thus never actually happened in Dragon Ball. Glad most stupid things can be explained like that. :lol:

But my point still stands. Sometimes I really do wish it had just been given an entirely new name. Seriously. If it had been, and this thread was about the Goku's Monkey Magic Wiki, would we really be having this discussion?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:07 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Really? Was there the obvious references to real-Earth stuff, like Einstein, Archimedes, and Johnny Appleseed?
Not to Johnny Appleseed, but to Einstein and Archimedes, yes.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:07 pm

Um, Gaffer Tape, Chi-Chi wanted Gohan's name to be Einstein in the JP version, and then suggested Archimedes and other names of real life scientists.

Ugh, it annoys me to no end when I see people complaining about dub lines that really aren't inaccuracies and they just didn't bother to look further into things. I mean, damn, I don't even care for the JP version yet I seem to know more JP lines by heart than the people who DO! :P
Last edited by jjgp1112 on Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:13 pm

As I said before, I still find it stupid no matter which version it is. Yes, that's right. I think it's a stupid thing in the Japanese version. Gasp. But I don't expect much more from filler. At least I still have my manga.

I was presumptuous in assuming that FUNimation came up with that "comedy gold," but, really, don't they always? ("Let's ditch Lizardville and go straight to the Bahamas" or "I can be the next Jane Goodall but with frogs" come to mind.) Okay, I was wrong in this instance. Still a stupid line but from a different source than I expected. Now I suppose we can get back on topic.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:34 pm

I find that one of the biggest issues with the wiki is the lack of cited sources. If you don't have somewhere to check for the information and anyone can edit something, it makes it a much less trustable resource as a whole. Even the largest articles on the site have a severe lack of citations. On many other major wiki sites, especially the largest, Wikipedia, when a section of an article lacks any citations, there's a note at the top of the article stating that. Something like that ought to be on the site to make sure that people cite their sources.

These citations also need to be accurate ones. I was skimming through the site and noticed that the article that it has on Namekians makes note that the Daizenshuu state that they're divided into various classes, but the citation was incorrect. It said that there are three different kinds of Namekians as opposed to two like the series and guidebook state, and even go further to place Nail and Piccolo in their own seperate categories, despite them both being stated to be warrior types. But the fact that they supposedly cited the Daizenshuu really makes me wonder just what people are doing on this site most of the time. I found that a good portion of the article as a whole was fan speculation.

Also, one last thing I need to touch on is trivia. There's really no need for a section like this unless it includes some important facts that really have no place elsewhere, because I find that this is where the majority of the site's fan speculation is found. Admins really need to look at sections like that when they're cleaning the site up.

Herms

Post by Herms » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:11 pm

Hoh boy...I started off skimming through the article for Goku, and it seemed OK. The main problem were spelling mistakes, and even then there weren't as many as I would have expected. For awhile I was thinking that the DB wiki really had improved since last I saw it. Then I checked out the page for Namekians, per Kiyza's post. It's a complete mess, and supports my earlier opinion that the DB wiki is only reliable when it comes to the very obvious. So they can do an accurate job tracking the actions of the main character over the course of the series, but when it comes to compiling information on a one of the series' main races, they veer straight into garbled info and pure fan speculation.

It starts right away:
Nameks (ナメクジ〔強打, Namekusei-jin),
ナメクジ is simply the katakana spelling for namekuji, the Japanese word for slug from which the term "Namekain" comes; it is NOT the way the actual DB term "Namekian" is written in Japanese (that would be ナメック星人/Namekku-seijin; note that double "kk"). This is equivalent to giving the Japanese way of writing "carrot" and claiming it's how "Kakarrot" is written in Japanese. Second, 強打 is the kanji for kyouda, meaning a heavy physical blow. What's that got to do with Namekians? Your guess is as good as mine.
They require only water for sustenance, though they are capable of eating food if they want, as Piccolo once ate a fish, and are adapted to a world with three suns, with at least one up at all times. These three traits (green skin, water-exclusive diet, and constant daylight) hint to the fact that they are photosynthetic, biologically speaking.
Pure fan speculation. What does Namek having three suns and constant daylight have to do with anything, anyway? The fact that Earth has night doesn't exactly hamper plants from living here (I'd also imagine that constant daylight could get a little rough on plants). Anyway, these days thanks to the Super Exciting Guides we know from Toriyama that Namekians can survive on only water because they have an enzyme which allows them to extract nutrients from water. There's nothing about photosynthesis entering into the equation at all. The page actually does mention this last fact in the trivia section, but gives no source for it.
Nameks tend to age in similar fashion as Humans and Saiyans do, as shown by Dende who is roughly the same age as Gohan, and grows up along side him. However, reincarnated Namekians such as Piccolo, seem to age much faster, as Piccolo was already a full grown adult in a mere 4 years time.
Dende is roughly the same age as Gohan? What source is there for that? Yes, he looks about the same age, but in order to say that he actually is about the same age you'd need to assume that Namekians age the same rate as Earthlings or Saiyans, the very thing this the Dende example is cited as supporting, so the whole thing is circular. Also, it's debatable whether Dende really grows up along Gohan at the same rate. By the time of the Cell Games, 5 years after the events with Freeza on Planet Namek, Dende looks about the same while Gohan has aged noticeably. And 7 years later during the Boo arc, Gohan seems to have grown much more than Dende.

Also, Piccolo grew to full size in 3 years, not 4. There were 3 years between Piccolo's birth and the 23rd tournament.
Regardless of how fast they age, they tend to have very long lifespans. For example, Guru, the only Namek known to die of natural causes, was at least as old as Master Roshi when he died, yet Roshi was able to survive, according to Turtle by drinking an immortality elixir, whereas Guru is known to live a completely natural life.
In the series, the great disaster which wiped out most of the Namekians was said to have happened about 500 years ago. The Great Elder (Guru) was around for that, which would actually make him far older than Kame-sennin, who's official birth year places him at a little over 300. Also, "Guru is know to live a completely natural life"? When was that established?
They do not have genders and reproduce asexually by spitting out an egg (though this process usually shortens their lifespan)
Source? Yes, that was true of Daimao, but was said to be because he was already very old.
Possibly ancient Nameks like Lord slug were shown much taller than regular Nameks.
They were possibly shown as being like that? Make up your mind. And capitalize "Slug".
Though generally not as strong as Saiyans, they are quite capable combatants.
Again, source source source source baked beans source source Mc-source. Random Namekian warriors are shown in the series to have powers of 3,000. Compare this to a Saiyan grunt like Raditz, with a power of only 1,500. What basis is there to say that Namekians are generally weaker than Saiyans?
It is likely that the vast majority of them are restricted to fighter-type Nameks as opposed to sage-like Nameks, as none of the normal Nameks displayed the ability to use them when facing the crisis of Frieza's invasion.
"Sage-type" Namekians? What's that? There's nothing like that mentioned in the series or guidebooks. Maybe there's something like that in DB Online, but if so it should be noted that DBO is the source. Also, how much of the Namekians resisting Freeza do we actually see in the series? Something like half of the 6 villages, at best? There's not much of a foundation to draw conclusions on.
# Sai Sei:

# Nobiru Ude (Body flexibility):

Bushitsu Shyutsu Gen Majyutsu (Object creation):
I don't get this at all. The DB wiki sticks to Funi's terms for basically everything, but then uses untranslated Japanese descriptive terms for abilities like this? That's pretty inconsistent. Anyway, things like these aren't proper nouns, so I see no reason not to translate them. Saisei (there's no reason for the word to split up the way it is) means "regeneration". Nobiru Ude means "stretching arms" (and not body flexibility in general as the wiki implies). Busshitsu Shyutsugen Majyutsu (note the double "ss", and the way Shyutsugen is split up is pointless) translates to "Materialization Magic" (or more literally, Object-Producing Magic).
Fusion: Nameks have a form of inverse reproduction where they are able to permanently join themselves with other members of their race. It is unknown what happens to the soul of the fused Namek, but it is hinted that the other soul simply remain with the body until it perishes, or that, at least, the personality and memories are, to some extent, present within the host being. This is evident when Nail talked to Dende through Piccolo,
"Inverse reproduction"...? OK...Anyway, Nail talking to Dende through Piccolo is anime-only, and needs to be labeled as such. In the manga Piccolo does show that he has Nail's knowledge (knowing who the Great Elder is, for instance), but he's never shown to have Nail's soul somehow still intact inside him.
# Aging: Nameks possibly age differently than humans; three years after his birth, Piccolo Jr. is physically Goku's age. However, Dende appeared the same age as Gohan when he first appeared, stayed the same age in the five years between the Namek Saga and the Cell Games Saga, only to become a teenager by the time of the Majin Buu Saga.
Note that this contradicts what the page says earlier about Namekians aging about the same as Earthlings and Saiyans. The page is internally inconsistent.
Ki manipulation: Like Saiyans, Nameks are more adept at manipulating ki than humans, granting them superhuman strength and speed, as well as the art of flying and the ability to shoot concussive blasts.
Source? Earthlings who train in ki manipulation are able to do those very same things. No human is as strong as Piccolo, the strongest Namekian, but that's never established as being due to a difference in skill at ki manipulation.
Sensing Evil: Nameks can sense the presence of evil in a Power level where as most other fighters can only sense the magnitude. This was shown in "Tree of Might" by Piccolo and in the Dragon Ball Z episode #48 - "Arrival of the Ginyu Force". Dende also senses an evil heart in Vegeta, when he refused to help Vegeta, and Kami mentioned that for the past four years, a great evil was growing on Earth, which was later revealed to be Cell.
Everyone of any race who is capable of sensing ki is shown to be able to sense whether the ki in question in evil. Gohan and Kuririn notice how there are people with evil ki on Namek the moment they get there.
In Lord Slug, some extremely powerful Nameks found the ancient secret to unlocking a higher consciousness within, becoming "Super Nameks". These Super Nameks were extremely aggressive and very different from their agrarian counterparts. These Super Nameks also seem to be able to show off their true power. They were banished from the planet using the Dragon Balls. The only example shown of such is Lord Slug.
Wow, is all that really in the Funi dub of DBZ movie 4, or is this just complete nonsense? In the Japanese version, Slug is the only mentioned Super Namekian. He escapes from the ancient disaster on Namek in a similar way as the child of Katatz, and lands on Planet Slug (this part gets mentioned in another part of the wiki page). Well, I guess this is part of the nonsense you're stuck with if you go just by the English version, but still, the manga's use of the term "Super Namekian" to refer to Piccolo should be mentioned first and foremost, instead of after the movie 4 stuff like the wiki has it.
* Combat castes The Daizenshuu states that the first batch of three Nameks who fought Frieza's men were soldier-types and the second, anime only, batch of three were warrior-types. The anime states that all combat-capable Nameks (including Nail) were of the same caste and that Nail was far more powerful because he was the best of them. In both the anime and manga, Saichouro states that Nail was the only Namek born a fighter-type.
o Fighter-type Namekian: Fighter Nameks are the most powerful of the Nameks, being much stronger than other Nameks in combat ability. Nail is the only one of this type seen, as Piccolo Jr. is technically a Dragon-type Namek. Power Levels of Fighter-type Nameks estimate at 40,000 and beyond.
o Warrior-type Namekian: Described in the Daizenshuu, these are Nameks who are proficient in combat, but not at the same level as Fighter-types. The three Nameks who challenged Freeza are of this type. Note that this variety only appears in the anime. Power Levels of Warrior-type Nameks estimate at 25,000 to 30,000.
o Soldier-type Namekian: Described in the Daizenshuu, these are Nameks who are proficient in combat, but not at the same level as Warrior-types. The three Nameks who fought Dodoria are of this type. Power Levels of Soldier-type Nameks estimate at about 10,000 to 20,000.
* Support castes
o Healer-type Namekian: These Nameks can heal the wounds of others Dende is the only Namek shown to have this ability and it is proved later that he is a member of the Dragon Clan. This might therefore not be a caste, but a unique ability to Dende. A bit of confusion arises from this as it is also stated that Piccolo Jr. can not heal others because he is a fighter-type, insinuating that the ability is restricted to or from various castes.
o Dragon Clan: These Nameks are the only ones capable of creating / manipulating Dragon Balls. Nameks in this class include Saichoro and Kami (and therefore, by extension, Piccolo Jr., though he is probably closer to a Fighter-type Namek in personality).

Only plot-important Nameks are shown or described as being one of the above castes. It is unknown if the other Nameks in existence belong to one of them or to other unmentioned castes.

Piccolo Jr. could be considered a half Fighter-Type and half Dragon Clan Namek hybrid because of his vast abilities. With a mix of Fighter-Type and Dragon Clan. He is an excellent combatant and has many Dragon Clan type mystical abilities. He also is the most powerful Namek by the end of the series, which should place him in an entirely different caste of Namek.
OK, this is almost entirely complete nonsense. The daizenshuu list only two types of normal Namekains: Dragon Clan (Dende, the Great Elder, the Earth's God) and Warrior-types (Nail, Piccolo). There's also the Demon Clan (Mazoku) of Piccolo Daimao and his offspring, which is said to be a natural mutation arising through the corrupting influence of evil. That's all the daizenshuu, or any other guidebook relating to the anime or manga, has to say. DB Online may complicate the picture a bit, though from what I remember from reading the promotional material, the game also adheres to the main Dragon Clan/Warrior-type dichotomy, but introduces several sub-classes to those two basic types.

Also, Namekians are either fully Dragon Clan or fully Warrior-type (how the Demon Clan works is less clear). The Child of Katatz was a Dragon Clan Namekian, and so was the God of Earth. Piccolo (Ma Junior) was a Warrior-type (after he stopped being a Demon Clan Namekian, at any rate), and so the Piccolo/God fusion was also a Warrior-type, since Piccolo was the base.

The Namekians which Dodoria fought with had powers of around 3,000, not 10,000-20,000. The wiki is mistaking them for the filler Namekians who attacked Freeza as he approached the Great Elder's house, who had powers of around 10,000. Nail (who was a Warrior-type, "fighter-type" being a potential alternate translation of this class name, but not a separate class) had a power of 42,000, but I have no idea what the "and beyond" part of "40,000 and beyond" comes from. God knows what "Power Levels of Warrior-type Nameks estimate at 25,000 to 30,000" is based on.

There's simply too much garbage in this quote to go over. I'm tired, so to sum up: the DB wiki might have improved, but it still has an enormous amount of inaccuracies. Cleaning all these inaccuracies up is going to be a monumental task.
Last edited by Herms on Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:26 pm

Yeah, Lord Slug's backstory was completely rewritten in the dub. He's pretty much the only instance of Funimation extensively changing someone's backstory, though.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:35 pm

Whoo, wow. What a journey. I can't imagine how long it took you to write that entire post! And that's just from one page?! I find myself stunned. :shock:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:36 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Whoo, wow. What a journey. I can't imagine how long it took you to write that entire post! And that's just from one page?! I find myself stunned. :shock:
Just read their page on Saiyans :lol:
Cold World (Fanfic)

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:39 pm

I admit that I am afraid to. As I've said before, reliance on the dub version is justifiable enough in itself (though I personally disagree with it, such a place deserves to exist), the sheer number of objective problems are mind-boggling and need to be addressed no matter which preference they adhere to.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:40 pm

After reading their responses over on the Wikia, I have to point out that this is why I started by saying, "I don't care about dub terms." Or to put it another way, they're waaay down on the list of things I feel are important. Just saying, "We're an English wiki so we use the English names," misses the point. As Gaffer pointed out, the wiki still has plenty of misinformation and other problems on top of that, and I think that they should come first.
Gaffer Tape wrote:As much as all of the above irks me, I am forced to admit that a FUNimation-centric source of information is no less valid an enterprise than a Mighty Morphin Power Rangers wiki is from the perspective of a Zyuranger fan.
But a Zyuranger fan probably wouldn't use a Power Rangers wiki as a source of information for Zyuranger. A Dragon Ball fan likely will try to use the "best source of Dragon Ball information in the world" DB wikia, and that's where you get problems. Maybe DB wiki just needs a big sign saying, "FUNimation Based!" on the front, like how Daizenshuu EX points out that it focuses on the Japanese version. Of course, as stated above, that doesn't whitewash the other issues.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:59 pm

From reading the thread on DB Wiki about this, I do see a problem. The original poster focused mostly on a change to original terminology, adding in something about cleaning up trivia sections at the very end. While it would be awesome to see them change over to original, accurate terms, I think he is presenting his case to clean up the Wiki the wrong way. There is absolutely no way any of them will see this as anything but a threat to their way of thinking and their version of the show. 'It's just those crazy Japanophile DaizEXers bitching at us when we're the number one source of DB information!' That's not going to fix anything. Anything brought up under that banner is destined to fail, and they'll choose to ignore the errors in grammar, accuracy, encyclopedic tone, citing, and everything else because all they'll hear is, "They're trying to Japan-ify us."

So to the original poster, I'd suggest, for the moment at least, abandoning any kind of original version vs. dub changes and style guides (as hard as it is for me to say that) and focus solely on presenting the reasons why all of those other things need to be improved upon. Quote Herms's list. Talk about citation. Point out inconsistencies. That's how you'll make progress in fixing your Wiki.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:07 am

Obviously the dub terminology is secondary to other inaccuracies and inconsistencies (although a lot of those stem from the focus on Funimation's inaccurate scripts back in the day), but as long as it's still being brought up over in the Wiki responses...

A major problem of Funimation's early dub is the script, and that goes without saying. Using the more accurate Viz or Kai translations should make sense to everyone, as they avoid plot inconsistencies, stuff that was simply needlessly changed, and even key character details. Even on its own internal logic, the original dub scripts make a mess of things.

What I really want to touch on is the amount of concern in the Wiki responses about moving away from Funimation's terms, and I understand that. Some of it's slightly ridiculous though. No one is suggesting that "Vegeta" be changed to "Bejita," or "Baby" to "Bebi," because even in Japan they'd look at that romanization funny. Hell, even slightly different Funimation spellings are okay. It's just when you get to stuff like "Tien" and "Tri-Beam" that it becomes incredibly confusing to anyone who didn't watch the only dub to use those terms.

If anything, mention both on the page, but have the original phrase be the title and let the Funimation term redirect there. Everyone wins. As to why the original terms need preference, other than avoiding confusion, they're the original. That's what the material actually is, even if one country's licensing decided to re-brand it. Anyone with a decent DVD release available can familiarize themselves with the original version, but not everyone who stumbles across the Wiki will have access to Funimation's dub.

Just want to justify our constant peddling of the Japanese terms and script. It just makes things easier, more applicable to more readers, and more consistent. Now back to more important things. Fan theories need to go entirely, unmarked dub-only or video-game only terms need to be pointed out, etc.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 am

Of course, the problem is, to them, FUNimation's scripts aren't inaccurate. They're completely accurate... to the version of the show they're watching. It's not accurate to us (or real Dragon Ball), but if their mission is to be a source of FUNimation's version of Dragon Ball then it is entirely accurate. And with that mindset, it's impossible for us to convince them to change it. They don't see it as original version vs. dubbed version. They just see it as this version vs. that version where either is equally valid, and they just happened to choose the one that's over here.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:29 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:Of course, the problem is, to them, FUNimation's scripts aren't inaccurate. They're completely accurate... to the version of the show they're watching. It's not accurate to us (or real Dragon Ball), but if their mission is to be a source of FUNimation's version of Dragon Ball then it is entirely accurate. And with that mindset, it's impossible for us to convince them to change it. They don't see it as original version vs. dubbed version. They just see it as this version vs. that version where either is equally valid, and they just happened to choose the one that's over here.
Then they need to make that abundantly clear.

And my impression has always been that they did intend for a general Dragon Ball Wiki, but somewhere along the line it simply became more and more Funimation-specific to the point that it doesn't apply to any other version. Either way, the inaccuracies need to go and sources need to be marked.

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:31 am

jjgp1112 wrote:Yeah, Lord Slug's backstory was completely rewritten in the dub. He's pretty much the only instance of Funimation extensively changing someone's backstory, though.
Oh well, I'm glad that bit was actually based on something and not another bizarre fabrication like the notes on Namekian classes.
Gaffer Tape wrote:Of course, the problem is, to them, FUNimation's scripts aren't inaccurate. They're completely accurate... to the version of the show they're watching. It's not accurate to us (or real Dragon Ball), but if their mission is to be a source of FUNimation's version of Dragon Ball then it is entirely accurate.
Maybe that's true of stuff like their comments on Super Namekians in DBZ movie 4, but it's not true for much of the information found in the wiki, like most of what I highlighted in the Namekian article. That stuff is simply inaccurate as far as any version of the show is concerned. The DB wiki is currently still a very inaccurate guide to the Funi dub of the anime.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:35 am

Cipher wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:Of course, the problem is, to them, FUNimation's scripts aren't inaccurate. They're completely accurate... to the version of the show they're watching. It's not accurate to us (or real Dragon Ball), but if their mission is to be a source of FUNimation's version of Dragon Ball then it is entirely accurate. And with that mindset, it's impossible for us to convince them to change it. They don't see it as original version vs. dubbed version. They just see it as this version vs. that version where either is equally valid, and they just happened to choose the one that's over here.
Then they need to make that abundantly clear.
Might be difficult to get them to do that too. I guess I should revise my last statement to say that I believe that they see it as foreign version vs. local version, where the American version is the only one that counts because this is Amuricuh! Therefore, with that logic, being an English-speaking fandom, why should they have to specify which version? To them it's obvious. To them, it's the ONLY version (not even the other English version, the VIZ version seems to count). Granted, I'm speculating here, but that's the vibe I've picked up on this issue.
Herms wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:Of course, the problem is, to them, FUNimation's scripts aren't inaccurate. They're completely accurate... to the version of the show they're watching. It's not accurate to us (or real Dragon Ball), but if their mission is to be a source of FUNimation's version of Dragon Ball then it is entirely accurate.
Maybe that's true of stuff like their comments on Super Namekians in DBZ movie 4, but it's not true for much of the information found in the wiki, like most of what I highlighted in the Namekian article. That stuff is simply inaccurate as far as any version of the show is concerned. The DB wiki is currently still a very inaccurate guide to the Funi dub of the anime.
I agree. I should have been more clear in that post. In my other posts, I have said they failed at that as well, but my point is, if we're going to convince them to do anything, it will only be in terms of helping them with the style and certain inaccuracies. To me, both FUNimation inaccuracies and DB Wiki inaccuracies are the exact same thing and need to be purged with fire. But to them, I don't think there's any way in hell they'll see what FUNimation does as inaccurate... because to their version it's not. We'd be lucky, I think, to get DB Wiki to see how their own inaccuracies are inaccurate. Pointing out FUNimation's is just going to cause them to ignore everything else we say.