SSJ Vegeta Hair?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Plague-Memories
Not-So-Newbie

SSJ Vegeta Hair?

Post by Plague-Memories » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:47 pm

This isn't a question more for myself, because I think the difference is pretty clear, but my friend doesn't seem to see the difference in a lot of character's Super Saiyajin hair.
For example, Vegeta's. He doesn't see it at all.
Or Gohan from the Artificial Humans arc.
Basically, can someone give me some comparison shots of those two in base form, then in first form SSJ just to point out the differences to my dumb friend?
Thanks in advance. :)

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Re: SSJ Vegeta Hair?

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:07 pm

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:16 pm

I actually confused by your friend, what's the different? they both have blond and black hair, except maybe a different coloring of yellow because of the animator but still! it's blond!

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:35 pm

The pictures you've added aren't valid since they're from different sagas.

Vegeta and Buu Saga Gohan's hair doesn't seem to be really different in base and SSJ forms since they already stand in base form. The only difference being the color and disappearing of really small ("single-lined") hair.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:44 pm

Now I'm confused, did you mean Gohan from the "Artificial Human Arc" or Buu Arc (as are the images posted above)?

Regardless, the images posted by Goku100xKamehameha are inaccurate in that Vegeta's are from completely different eras (Toriyama does occasionally change his designs as the story progresses, not like Vegeta had SSJ in the Saiyan arc anyways), one image also shows his USSJ form if I'm not mistaken (there's a slight difference from his First Grade SSJ hair), and also that Super Saiyan image of Gohan probably wasn't the best choice, it's a controversial one; people still debate as to which form he's actually using there.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:52 pm

I can't really see that Vegeta's hair changes at all in SSJ. I mean, it's already sticking straight up. Goku's really the only one who gets really spiky hair in SSJ. Trunks's hair sticks up somewhat but not as much as Goku's. Gohan's barely changes at all until he gets to SSJ2.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:53 pm

Well, then feel free to throw some pictures in!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:10 pm

Very well...

Gohan at the Cell Games

Gohan after the Cell Games

As you can see, there's practically no difference at all.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:10 pm

For some characters, like Goku, Goten, and Trunks, the change is very apparent, with their hair standing up on end. In the case of Gohan and Vegeta, their hair has no discernable change as far as shape, just the color.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:12 pm

The changes between these two characters' SSJ1 hair is not as apparent as the other Saiyans. But they all follow the same rules: the hair stands up more (if it doesn't already), turns blonde, and is given more volume/thickness; so you wouldn't see many stray hairs or any at all, as you would in base form. Artistically it also allows Toriyama to convey more depth, since black hair wasn't given any internal detail most of time.

I'll post both during and after the ROSAT for Gohan, since his hair likely grew:

ImageImage

ImageImage

Vegeta's SSJ forms will usually be the hardest to differentiate because of how it's already shaped. When he first becomes SSJ in the early Artificial Human arc, you could literally say it's just a blonde version of his base form's hair, there's only a few more visible spikes you can see now that you wouldn't have been able to see when it was blackened out. As Toriyama's art style changes so does Vegeta's SSJ1 hair; it is gradually given more detail (lines and individual spikes) till the end of the series:

ImageImageImage

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:19 pm

Eh, Gohan's hair really doesn't stand up at all. The only time it does is when he's got the whole aura thing going, and it's obvious that it's the "force" of it pushing his hair up like a fan. That pic you showed of him in Full Power Saiya-jin mode, when there's no aura, the hair isn't standing up any differently from his base form.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:48 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Eh, Gohan's hair really doesn't stand up at all. The only time it does is when he's got the whole aura thing going, and it's obvious that it's the "force" of it pushing his hair up like a fan. That pic you showed of him in Full Power Saiya-jin mode, when there's no aura, the hair isn't standing up any differently from his base form.
It does, but very slightly due to how it's natured in base form.

It's the strands in the back that are usually more apparent in that regard:

ImageImage

Ashy-kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashy-kun » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:04 am

This is just a theory, but maybe it's because the "force" of the Qi is pushing the hair up, and so as Gokuu and Gohan attempt to stay in Super Saiyan mode in their states of rest, they're using up progressively less and less Qi, which they can then use effectively as power, speed, et cetera. The hair standing on end, I always felt, was a side effect, with the force of the Qi aura pushing it up. So, it just stands to reason for me that when there is less focus on powering up and having that aura increase, focusing on just drawing out more power and aura, and more focus instead on letting the power feel natural, that the hair might become more relaxed.

Or, if you want perhaps a more cynical DragonBall fan answer? Toriyama got lazy, and started to put less emphasis in the standing-up-on-end bit.
Your freelance, amateur translator, with over a year's worth of self-taught experience. Once an honorary member of Team Kinniku, and a man with his work shown in various places here and there. If you have a song you'd like me to look over, I'll happily look it over and see if I can translate it for you.

Most Recent Song Added to Ashy-kun's Song Translation Topic: Yoake no Kodomo-tachi (Translated: The Children of the Dawn)

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:03 am

Ashy-kun wrote:Or, if you want perhaps a more cynical DragonBall fan answer? Toriyama got lazy, and started to put less emphasis in the standing-up-on-end bit.
In Cell Games Gohan's case at least, I always assumed his hair didn't stand up much in regular Super Saiyan in order to create as much contrast as possible between that and his Super Saiyan 2 form. Vegeta's hair can't really stand up much more than it already is, and Goku's hair still stands up a lot even in Full Power Super Saiyan form.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.