Viz Graphic Novels

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Viz Graphic Novels

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:50 am

Are the Dragonball graphic novels by VIZ cencored? and if so how are they cencored? If its just Mr.Satans name I can live with that.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:13 am

The first 3 or so DB novels were originally censored, but not anymore. If the novel says 13+ on the cover, or is one of the new prints (they're all red) then it should be fine.

I think they still censor things like Mr. Satan's name, but that's about it. Originally they were painting over the artwork, though.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:20 am

When Viz first started publishing the manga, it was uncensored. However, as mentioned before, the first couple graphic novels were censored. They were rereleased later with the 13+ sign uncensored. So...yeah. They stopped making those prints though (correct me if I'm wrong). Now they have the Shonen Jump edition, which is pretty much uncensored.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:02 am

Don't they still paint over Mr. Popo's lips?

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:41 am

Mizugi wrote:Don't they still paint over Mr. Popo's lips?

Yup, and they added a tone to Adjuntant Black's lips, too! We should have a manga censorship section on the site!

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:37 am

Mr.Satan's name isnt exactly "censored", they say his name is H-ercule, but he used to be a wrestler named "Mr.Satan"...so its a change for adaption purposes or something. :lol:

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:41 pm

Just like Zoro/Zolo.

:x

So basically it's somewhat censored, but the alterations won't ruin it. It's as uncensored as you can get without risking angry parents complaining about anything "inappropriate."
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:17 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:
Mizugi wrote:Don't they still paint over Mr. Popo's lips?

Yup, and they added a tone to Adjuntant Black's lips, too! We should have a manga censorship section on the site!
Popo's lips aren't that of a big deal. They're just to avoid tons of hate mail.

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:34 pm

I don't get it, what's so offensive about Mr. Popo's lips?
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:28 am

They were large, plump, and lighter than his skin. I believe they call it "stereotype."
:roll:

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:23 am

Mattias wrote:I don't get it, what's so offensive about Mr. Popo's lips?
Sometimes ignorance really is bliss...

The same groups that push to censor these stereotypes really should realize how less important they would become if they loosened up.

But with all due respect, it seems kind of weird that Mr. Popo has the appearance he does...does any Toriyama-head have any detailing on why he might have chosen that particular look?

NeverRamza
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeverRamza » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:27 am

Mugenmidget wrote:
Mattias wrote:I don't get it, what's so offensive about Mr. Popo's lips?
But with all due respect, it seems kind of weird that Mr. Popo has the appearance he does...does any Toriyama-head have any detailing on why he might have chosen that particular look?
No deep answer, it's for the sake of comedy. For obvious reasons. The Japanese just don't take the issue as seriously as many Americans.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:31 am

*PINHEAD* wrote:Just like Zoro/Zolo.

So basically it's somewhat censored, but the alterations won't ruin it. It's as uncensored as you can get without risking angry parents complaining about anything "inappropriate."
I thought Zoro was changed to Zolo to avoid a lawsuit? At least, thats what I thought I read at Animerica's Message Board.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:57 pm

Izlude wrote:
*PINHEAD* wrote:Just like Zoro/Zolo.

I thought Zoro was changed to Zolo to avoid a lawsuit? At least, thats what I thought I read at Animerica's Message Board.
Is there a link to that thread? I'd like to know what that lawsuit was all about...

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:31 pm

The whole Zoro = Zorro thing?
Where's the beef?

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:00 pm

How can Zorro cause any trouble? >.>; It's in the spanish dictionary. You can't exactly claim the sole usage rights for a word in the dictionary last time I checked.

SNS

Post by SNS » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:05 pm

It isn't because of the word, it's because of the character (you know that guy with the sword that has had tv series & at least one movie based on him).

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:11 pm

Oh yeah. Because the characters are so identical.

Bull. Either Viz consists of paranoid idiots, or they're doing it to suck up to 4Kids. I'm guessing the latter.

Now, uh... Back ontopic. Or something.
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

Heritic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Heritic » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:24 pm

Dai wrote:Bull. Either Viz consists of paranoid idiots, or they're doing it to suck up to 4Kids. I'm guessing the latter.
Yeah probably, that must be why Viz doesn't answer any of the letters about it. Also probably in hopes that the dub will bring in new readers, then the new readers won't be confused. Too bad it shows no consideration to the ones who were already reading OP.

But yeah, the graphic novels with the red covers are uncensored. The DBZ graphic novels are censored. #16's attack Hell Flash was changed to something else, which I can't remember at the moment. I haven't really noticed anything else that hasn't already been mentioned.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:55 pm

even more irony, ownign some of the original DB and "DBZ" comic releases Viz did in DBZ vol 1 issue 7 Mr Popo's lips are not filled in, so they did not start out originally doing that.
-Laserkid